Sign in to follow this  
Stormcrow

How do you approach a watch smith with a rep?

Stormcrow

I am fairy new to reps (been here for a week or so). Throughly enjoying finding out more about watches, both reps and gens.

During my reading I've learnt that watches may require servicing or general reparis every now and again.

How would one go about approaching a local watch smith with a rep? How do you judge if he/she will be happy to work on reps?

Del

Call them first :lmao2:

Ska

You just have to ask them mate. If they tell you to fuck off then its a safe bet they don't want to work on reps. Just don't go in wearing one or hand your watch over before you get a reaction. Most smaller watchsmiths will just be happy to get the work!!

titan

luckily I approached my watch smith with a gen...then one time I just started a conversation about reps. I told him my dad came back from a vacation trip from China and gave me a rep rollie. Towards the end of the conversation I hinted that it might need some buffing and a possible service. He asked me to bring it by next time and he'll take a look. buff/service = $$$ So needless to say from that day on, I have been brings all my reps to him.

Like others have said...just walk in shop and try to go in when there are no other customer and just ask, the worst they can do is say no.

good luck

KBH

Tell your wife to take it in and have it fixed........:lol:

dingle
Tell your wife to take it in and have it fixed........:)

+1

:lol:

Cynikal.Mindset
Tell your wife to take it in and have it fixed........:lol:

thats what I do when I break stuff and need to return it...give it to the wife or my sister. "Just act cute and return it woman!"

rsea

Just be up front

They'll either be willing to work on reps or not. Don't pretend it's gen even for a second because they'll think you're a fuckwit

ZellerFTW

Can someone tell me why there's such a concern here? If you tell them it's a rep, why should they care? Liability in case they break the thing? I don't know, it just seems odd.

Can someone share some horror stories?

rsea

If they work on reps of brands they're authorized repairers of they risk losing their service centre status and therefore there ability to source parts for that brand.

KBH
If they work on reps of brands they're authorized repairers of they risk losing their service centre status and therefore there ability to source parts for that brand.

That would be covered under the Rule #1 of Replica Watches: Never take a rep into an Authorized Dealer's store.

rsea

That would be covered under the Rule #1 of Replica Watches: Never take a rep into an Authorized Dealer's store.

Yeah so no authorized dealers and no authorized service centres for the brand you're looking to have repaired

I don't know how it works in the rest of the world but in Australia we have Jewelers who are you ADs and Watchsmiths who are your repairers. It's pretty hard to tell with Watchsmiths who they might be an authorized repairer for. In my experience you're better off just going in and asking them if they're willing to do your work(with the watch in your pocket). If you call them they'll likely give you the brush off because they don't know who they could be talking to

NFleischer

You must approach with caution, always carry a concealed weapon - just in case.

prestigewatchco

Just find a private watch smith repair shop and walk in with it.

If he tells you it's fake ask so what can you fix it or not.

He can only say no we don't work on reps or yes ok .

I can't see the dilemma some have with going in and asking

Worst thing that can happen is he says it's a fake but you knew that anyway!!

kolchak

I hand him the watch and don't say a word. When the watchsmith tells me it's a rep, I start to rant, rave & cuss about how that shop across the street ripped me off....seems to lighten the mood. :graman:

tissotman

ive taken reps into watch repairers watches in question were very good just wanted to price a service up on a seadweller rep which is very very good with genuine eta movement, ive had this several years and he did not even spot it was a fake he never serviced it though, said it would be about £150.00 to do it which is more than i paid for the watch in the first place, i did end up getting a valuation on the watch while i was there though for at the time a few years ago £2,800 and this guy had rolex for sale in his window so it just goes to show not even people who deal with them can spot them , then again this is a very good copy.

prestigewatchco

I have to be honest if the guy couldn't tell difference between a 2836 Eta and 3135 Rolex movement I think I would have taken my watch away even if he only wanted 1.50 pounds to service it

Member X

lol

That seems a fair comment! :)

I would just go with a line like "I've got a watch that was given to me and has sentimental value but I'm not sure where he got it from, but I think it has a [insert movement name] movement. Would you be able to service it?"

greg_r

Best way to approach a watchsmith with a rep:

Mystery Shopper

Most smaller watch repairers are happy to have a look at the watch. I tell them straight away that the watch is a rep (say you bought it on holiday if you are worried about it). Don't go to a jewelery shop that sells gen Swiss watches or an AD. There is also much information on this site about repair and the tools for sale to do the repairs. All the watch shops I have been to are happy to have a look if they have the tools to fix it.

Once a screw came out of the movement of my PAM 217. I went to 4 shops but none had the part to remove a 47mm case back. In the end I saw a tip on this site to use a rubber cloth. I used our rubber cloth we use to open hard to open jars but found 4 watch smiths happy to look at reps.

Ska
2csdu0o.jpg

Takken

"You must approach with caution, always carry a concealed weapon - just in case."...

I'm still laughing :toilet:

Edited by Takken