Sign in to follow this  
Johnnydeepsea

Noobi here I recently purchased a Rolex DSSD Gen/ I think I will learn more here

Johnnydeepsea

I was a always wore Tags In School and I am doing well and I wanted to treat myself to a nice watch. I decided I could not get a quality rep of the M

Jeuer from iron man two. I could not spend $60000 on a watch yet so I decided if the rep was so pour then I should lower my sites and buy a nice Gen I knew two things Tag Heuer. Makes cool watches and Rolex makes my Dads watch. So I looked at the grand Carerra 36s it was larger and had a lot going on but I was settled I would buy it for $9775, the AD asked if I wanted to see them I decided to look and in the corner of my eye I see this monster watch, the Rolex deepsea sea dweller I had to put it on it needed no adjusting so I wore it out of the store.

The people here know a lot about watches which makes me wonder why don't you save up for a Tag and then work your way up to a Bell & Ross and know when you put it on e everyday that you accomplished something to buy your watch. I see my DSSD as my Grail for years it will be my only watch and I never take it off my wrist. I look at my watch and I remembered the work I did to get my bonus and I bought it for my 35 bday Another amazing set of circumstances will make me look for another Grai

So for the rep buyers what is the thrill of buying and owning reps? Their has to be a part of you that wants to be exepted by those around Them. What I do not understand is why not save up a little and buy a Tag. I know when I wore mine I got more looks from it then my DSSD and I knew I paid for the quality in the watch. I have done searchs on this subject and did not find ones. So hopefully we can keep it civil

wat44

welcome aboard Johhny!!!

great to see you here

wat44

by the way,, I dont like TAGs

I have 2 DSSD, about 10 other rollies, a handful of IWC, Omega, and a swag of PAMs (plus other odds and sods)

stick around and learn more about your watch (eg that its actually engraved and not printed!!!)

wat44

as far as your question goes about wat people enjoy - go to "view new posts" and the subject under yours is a POLL on this exact question

Johnnydeepsea

As a matter of fact I went to my AD and he got Rolex tech on the line and the question asked was about the paint in the Renault. Rolex says that the lettering is milled and filled in with a strong epoxy and dried flush so it looks printed

mspangl

welcome johnny!

Imo reps are more fun than gens.. +they are cheaper // got a quite similar movement in them, highbeat eta movements in the better reps ;

you can mod your reps.. this is quite fun // can you mod a genuine by yourself? no, nothing to mod.. quite boring

most of the people i believe cant afford having as many gens as reps.. most among us have got gens and reps

there are only 2 tags i would consider the rest of them are not my type of watch at all.

wat44

Johhny - thats excellent to see the rolex tech notes someone posted are correct

seems like an obvious mod for finicky DSSD rep owners to fill their GAS ESCAPE engraving with paint to be flush! (not for me, though!!!)

MikeMcNair
Johhny - thats excellent to see the rolex tech notes someone posted are correct

seems like an obvious mod for finicky DSSD rep owners to fill their GAS ESCAPE engraving with paint to be flush! (not for me, though!!!)

The guys here fill them from the BACK to be water tight. Welcome home slice, lotsa good info here.

I have had 3 gens in my life, and about 15 reps.

Cheaper, fun to play with, and you can wear different stuff BEFORE buying a gen to see if you like it's weight/size etc. (did that with a Tag as a matter of fact. F1 Alarm/metal bracelet)

Welcome sir, enjoy your stay. (you won't go back to the gen forums, I know I won't!!!!)

MikeMcNair
seems like an obvious mod for finicky DSSD rep owners to fill their GAS ESCAPE engraving with paint to be flush!

I read that wrong. Sorry

trailboss99

Hi ya Johnny, welcome to the funny farm.

Col

kolchak
I was a always wore Tags In School and I am doing well and I wanted to treat myself to a nice watch. I decided I could not get a quality rep of the M

Jeuer from iron man two. I could not spend $60000 on a watch yet so I decided if the rep was so pour then I should lower my sites and buy a nice Gen I knew two things Tag Heuer. Makes cool watches and Rolex makes my Dads watch. So I looked at the grand Carerra 36s it was larger and had a lot going on but I was settled I would buy it for $9775, the AD asked if I wanted to see them I decided to look and in the corner of my eye I see this monster watch, the Rolex deepsea sea dweller I had to put it on it needed no adjusting so I wore it out of the store.

The people here know a lot about watches which makes me wonder why don't you save up for a Tag and then work your way up to a Bell & Ross and know when you put it on e everyday that you accomplished something to buy your watch. I see my DSSD as my Grail for years it will be my only watch and I never take it off my wrist. I look at my watch and I remembered the work I did to get my bonus and I bought it for my 35 bday Another amazing set of circumstances will make me look for another Grai

So for the rep buyers what is the thrill of buying and owning reps? Their has to be a part of you that wants to be exepted by those around Them. What I do not understand is why not save up a little and buy a Tag. I know when I wore mine I got more looks from it then my DSSD and I knew I paid for the quality in the watch. I have done searchs on this subject and did not find ones. So hopefully we can keep it civil

Hey Johnny

No reason not to be civil. It's way past my bed time but I'll give this a shot. I'm relatively new to the rep hooby & understand your POV having owned several gen rollies & other nice gens. I wore them for years but eventually got bored wearing the same 10 to 15 watches & wanted more (many more). Luckily I found this place & realized reps are available with higher end movements & look almost exactly (to me at least) like the gens I'd paid much more for. Now, I get just as much enjoyment, if not more, from wearing a $300 DSSD as a gen Exlorer II & dont have to worry about banging it around.

Congrats on the gen DSSD & please post up some pics.

greg_r

Welcome aboard, Johnny :D

I went the other way. I used to own a gen Tag along with a couple of other mid-range gens - all of which I sold when I started getting into reps 10 or 11 years ago. Honestly, few Tag models really appeal to me these days. For the value of my current rep collection I could certainly have bought a gen Breit SOH or whatever (hell, for what I've spent on reps in the last couple of months I could have bought a decent used Tag), but I'm having a lot more fun with the reps.

Del

Hello and welcome :).

I have a gen Tag and I still remember how I felt when I bought it - chuffed to bits (I had wanted one for years)! I've still got it but now that I've discovered high quality reps I'm even happier because I can now own and wear many special watches that, to be honest, I couldn't afford to buy as gens.

I hope you enjoy the forum and that we can convince you of the joys of owning high quality reps :).

Member X

I think the questions posed are one of the key questions that people not into reps want to have answers to, to understand why reps are bought.

To the people with the money (not me, I'm skint lol) buying gens is seen by 'society' as the thing to do because they are marketed as quality products that somehow show how well you've done - they are aspirational lifestyle luxury products that are, basically, unnecessary, so if you can afford them then clearly you have got x amount of money (and are therefore 'the right person' to be buying this lifestyle product).

Gen owners can (perhaps understandably) get annoyed when a tiny factory in china can produce something that looks 99% the same as what they have bought for a LOT of money but for 5-10% of the cost.

It can't be denied that the gens have much better Quality Control, more consistent quality, well serviced movements and a warranty that can be relied on in case of fault, but how much does that actually cost? How much of the price is just paying for dealer network, the shareholders/owners lifestyles, and the massive amount of marketing that the big brands do?

I just can't believe that a lot of brands manufacturing costs are anywhere near what they retail at. The new ceramic Submariner, for example - what's that new? $6k? $7k? more? But the only real new bits are the ceramic bezel and, in the green version, some gold-infused dial colour IIRC. What does a ceramic bezel cost from china? $20? I can't believe that it costs Rolex much more than that - even if it costs them $100 to make a ceramic bezel, where has the rest of the massive price jump gone?!

Anyway, this is turning into some sort of rant lol

I can't deny the allure of the gens, if I had $$$$$ to spend on stuff I liked and wanted but didn't need, rather than the $$ I have, I too would probably have a couple of nice gens in the watchbox. But would they be value for money for the parts within them? Or just an expensive way to 'live a lifestyle' and show off to others how rich I am and how poor they are, and how they should aspire to be like me and judge themselves on what they own not what sort of person they are and what life they live?

Good reps achieve 90-95% of the 'performance' of a gen for 5-10% of the cost. 'Performance' being good looks, great feel and good timekeeping. Why buy just one gen when you can have 5, 10, 20 reps for the same amount of money? That's 5, 10, 20 designs to enjoy on your wrist as the mood takes you and the occasion requires, not just 1 that you have to wear all the time to feel like you're getting your money's worth. In this case, £10k for one DSSD that would seem ostentatious at a funeral or just kicking round town of a weekend, could buy, say, 30 good $300 reps (average), which could cover literally ALL the rolex models repped, some APs, some PPs, all the Tag reps... which you could pick and choose from to suit what you're doing that day :)

Yes, they are not to be trusted as waterproof until you've tested them yourself, and even then you couldn't take them down to 12,800 feet like you could a gen DSSD, but how often do you get your watch wet? Or need to rely on guaranteed COSC timekeeping? We have digital/quartz for that now, all you have to do is adjust the time on your automatic watch to your digital clock once a week. Gens are massively overengineered in many cases, just because it is cool (and that's no bad thing ;):rolleyes:) but do we need this level of performance? Not really. And, if you do, you could just buy some G-Shocks or similar.

I get the whole aspirational thing and how buying an expensive object (be it a watch or a piece of jewellery or a car etc etc) can represent a lot more than just the object itself, but it you love watches and want to be able to enjoy the designs of attractive watches then reps are ideal. Only if you judge others by the vacuous, elitist attitudes the high-end luxury goods companies' marketing departments insist you should have to 'be somebody', will you be offended by reps. After all, if you think someone has 'made it' because of the watch they wear and you later find out they are 'a fraud' because the watch is a rep and you assumed/thought it was gen, I can see how you would feel cheated by having your assumptions questioned ;):D

Just my ranting opinion, anyway. ;)

I like gens, if I had money I would buy some, but it would be in the full knowledge that I would not be buying a lifestyle, I would be buying a piece of over-engineered, over-priced art! :D

Reps are fun - especially when you can wear something massively out of your real life price range that has others open mouthed and staring :P - so dive in and get some and see how good they can be! If you've got $10k to spend on one watch, I would recommend finding another $2k or so and getting the latest DJII, DDII, PAM177, PAM005, PAM288, PAM026, PAM219... And if you aren't impressed with the quality for the money (which I think you will be ;)) you will easily be able to sell them on on here!!

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :)

Ska

Basically what member X said.

For me, the major draw of reps was the modding. If I really wanted a gen rollie or Omega (my favourite) I could afford one, but my fascination with watches is much more about the mechanical side of things, which would be completely redundant if I bought gens as there's no way I'd be taking the back off one without spending $30,000 and 2 years getting a WOSTEP certificate!!!

The other huge factor in a hobby like this is the people you can enjoy it with. I've briefly been a member of a few gen forums and by and large the membership were, well, twats. Usually much more concerned with image and prestige than the watch itself. Which kind of misses the whole point IMO.

I have found (as have many many others) that the rep hobby is populated by MUCH nicer people who actually like WATCHES. This makes a BIG difference. Ironically you'll find a huge amount more horological expertise on rep fora than you will on any of the gen sites.

I totally understand your POV with regards to the feeling of achievement you get when you can finally buy something you've wanted for ages. Its a wonderful experience but to be honest I'm 24 years old, I own my own company and I've married the woman I love more than anything on the planet. I'd rather spend the cash on building a life with her and on real experiences. For me that's a feeling of achievement which can't be matched by any watch.

Of course, buying reps mean I can have the watches too!!!

Welcome to RWG by the way, you'll love it here, I guarantee!! :)

Member X
The other huge factor in a hobby like this is the people you can enjoy it with. I've briefly been a member of a few gen forums and by and large the membership were, well, twats. Usually much more concerned with image and prestige than the watch itself. Which kind of misses the whole point IMO.

I have found (as have many many others) that the rep hobby is populated by MUCH nicer people who actually like WATCHES. This makes a BIG difference. Ironically you'll find a huge amount more horological expertise on rep fora than you will on any of the gen sites.

I totally understand your POV with regards to the feeling of achievement you get when you can finally buy something you've wanted for ages. Its a wonderful experience but to be honest I'm 24 years old, I own my own company and I've married the woman I love more than anything on the planet. I'd rather spend the cash on building a life with her and on real experiences. For me that's a feeling of achievement which can't be matched by any watch.

+11111111

Join us on the darkside, we have cookies :D:) lol

MikeMcNair

I have a special request: OP, please buy an "ultimate (whatever that means) DSSD" and do a really good comparo!!!!

That would rock!

d1isthe1

Plz post some pics Jhonny... i love the DSSD and everything about it ... one watch that Rolex made like no other ..

Cynikal.Mindset

Spending 10large on a watch is just too damn much for me to spend on something that I know I'm gonna bang up or scuff or something...plus I can have like 50 good/ultimate reps for the price of a single gen...more variety for my money

Del
Spending 10large on a watch is just too damn much for me to spend on something that I know I'm gonna bang up or scuff or something...

Another great reason to buy good quality reps :)

nunu78
Basically what member X said.

For me, the major draw of reps was the modding. If I really wanted a gen rollie or Omega (my favourite) I could afford one, but my fascination with watches is much more about the mechanical side of things, which would be completely redundant if I bought gens as there's no way I'd be taking the back off one without spending $30,00 and 2 years getting a WOSTEP certificate!!!

Welcome to RWG by the way, you'll love it here, I guarantee!! :D

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

MikeMcNair
The new ceramic Submariner, for example - what's that new? $6k? $7k? more? But the only real new bits are the ceramic bezel and, in the green version, some gold-infused dial colour IIRC.

had to comment on this. the BLUE ceramicrome sub is made ENTIRELY OF WHITE GOLD, not SS, thus the GIANT jump in price in the gen.

dumb? yes. true? yes. smarter to make blue dial/bezel on a Stainless version? YUP!

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/sub...-m116619lb-0001

19 grand, YIKES!!!!!!!

Member X

Is nice though ;):popcorn: lol

I would say that we maybe shouldn't give too much attention to this thread - seems as though someone is being a bit troll-ish at the moment...

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthrea...60.html?t=71460

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthrea...57.html?t=71457

I'm sure he feels much better for goading us poor rep owners into defending our decisions when all he has to do is walk away in his overcoat of smugness bought by (or gifted to...) him as part of his 'luxury' watch purchase...

guami007
I think the questions posed are one of the key questions that people not into reps want to have answers to, to understand why reps are bought.

To the people with the money (not me, I'm skint lol) buying gens is seen by 'society' as the thing to do because they are marketed as quality products that somehow show how well you've done - they are aspirational lifestyle luxury products that are, basically, unnecessary, so if you can afford them then clearly you have got x amount of money (and are therefore 'the right person' to be buying this lifestyle product).

Gen owners can (perhaps understandably) get annoyed when a tiny factory in china can produce something that looks 99% the same as what they have bought for a LOT of money but for 5-10% of the cost.

It can't be denied that the gens have much better Quality Control, more consistent quality, well serviced movements and a warranty that can be relied on in case of fault, but how much does that actually cost? How much of the price is just paying for dealer network, the shareholders/owners lifestyles, and the massive amount of marketing that the big brands do?

I just can't believe that a lot of brands manufacturing costs are anywhere near what they retail at. The new ceramic Submariner, for example - what's that new? $6k? $7k? more? But the only real new bits are the ceramic bezel and, in the green version, some gold-infused dial colour IIRC. What does a ceramic bezel cost from china? $20? I can't believe that it costs Rolex much more than that - even if it costs them $100 to make a ceramic bezel, where has the rest of the massive price jump gone?!

Anyway, this is turning into some sort of rant lol

I can't deny the allure of the gens, if I had $$$$$ to spend on stuff I liked and wanted but didn't need, rather than the $$ I have, I too would probably have a couple of nice gens in the watchbox. But would they be value for money for the parts within them? Or just an expensive way to 'live a lifestyle' and show off to others how rich I am and how poor they are, and how they should aspire to be like me and judge themselves on what they own not what sort of person they are and what life they live?

Good reps achieve 90-95% of the 'performance' of a gen for 5-10% of the cost. 'Performance' being good looks, great feel and good timekeeping. Why buy just one gen when you can have 5, 10, 20 reps for the same amount of money? That's 5, 10, 20 designs to enjoy on your wrist as the mood takes you and the occasion requires, not just 1 that you have to wear all the time to feel like you're getting your money's worth. In this case, £10k for one DSSD that would seem ostentatious at a funeral or just kicking round town of a weekend, could buy, say, 30 good $300 reps (average), which could cover literally ALL the rolex models repped, some APs, some PPs, all the Tag reps... which you could pick and choose from to suit what you're doing that day :)

Yes, they are not to be trusted as waterproof until you've tested them yourself, and even then you couldn't take them down to 12,800 feet like you could a gen DSSD, but how often do you get your watch wet? Or need to rely on guaranteed COSC timekeeping? We have digital/quartz for that now, all you have to do is adjust the time on your automatic watch to your digital clock once a week. Gens are massively overengineered in many cases, just because it is cool (and that's no bad thing ;):popcorn:) but do we need this level of performance? Not really. And, if you do, you could just buy some G-Shocks or similar.

I get the whole aspirational thing and how buying an expensive object (be it a watch or a piece of jewellery or a car etc etc) can represent a lot more than just the object itself, but it you love watches and want to be able to enjoy the designs of attractive watches then reps are ideal. Only if you judge others by the vacuous, elitist attitudes the high-end luxury goods companies' marketing departments insist you should have to 'be somebody', will you be offended by reps. After all, if you think someone has 'made it' because of the watch they wear and you later find out they are 'a fraud' because the watch is a rep and you assumed/thought it was gen, I can see how you would feel cheated by having your assumptions questioned ;) ;)

Just my ranting opinion, anyway. ;)

I like gens, if I had money I would buy some, but it would be in the full knowledge that I would not be buying a lifestyle, I would be buying a piece of over-engineered, over-priced art! :D

Reps are fun - especially when you can wear something massively out of your real life price range that has others open mouthed and staring :P - so dive in and get some and see how good they can be! If you've got $10k to spend on one watch, I would recommend finding another $2k or so and getting the latest DJII, DDII, PAM177, PAM005, PAM288, PAM026, PAM219... And if you aren't impressed with the quality for the money (which I think you will be ;)) you will easily be able to sell them on on here!!

+ Googolplexian