Sign in to follow this  
BadPickle

Looking for a camera

Cleebeauregard

I think Gazzla posted his recommendations on this some time back-- he specifically mentioned the Nikon Coolpix L840 because of it's excellent macro shot capabilities. You can find 'em on the bay for $100-$150 USD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-COOLPIX-L840-16-0MP-Digital-Camera-Black-MINT-Low-Shutter-/232172855202?hash=item360e949fa2:g:1lsAAOSwcUBYTl0W

Might ask Gazzla himself, as we all know what outstanding pics he takes! :)

tonyh7

I think Gazzla posted his recommendations on this some time back-- he specifically mentioned the Nikon Coolpix L840 because of it's excellent macro shot capabilities. You can find 'em on the bay for $100-$150 USD:

http://www.ebay.com/...lsAAOSwcUBYTl0W

Might ask Gazzla himself, as we all know what outstanding pics he takes! :)

yep was going to say he uses a Nikon bridge camera. The results he gets are very impressive. I had a bloody expensive Cannon bridge camera which just fell to bits about a day outside warranty - all the lens elements came loose and fell into the camera body. So personally I've gone off Cannons.

Jibuti

This is the perfect one for you:

big_20131121646550.fotocamera3.jpg

lovely, a cam with bipod, bipod!

JohnG

For me personally you can't beat a decent smart phone camera they have come on so far in recent years and can rival most dedicated cameras. Not only that some have optical stabilizers now and the user interface is unbeatable. You can get dedicated apps to do more if you really get into it.

THIS

No way would I buy a point and shoot today. A good smartphone camera is ALMOST as good. And you can buy a good used entry DSLR for what you would pay for a good point and shoot. I recently bought a mint Canon 550D with two mint canon entry level lenses for 225 Euros. I bought it to mod for astrophotography but my point is I would get a good smartphone and if you get serious, a DSLR.

JohnG

$9 aliexpress light tent, natural light, a piece of slate, and a two year old Huawei smartphone:

21733011469_c6077c9d79_o.jpgBrogue Oxford 5 by Nero Straps, on Flickr

JohnG

BadPickle

They are rather good JohnG :)

onzenuub

The straps are yep.

JohnG

The straps are yep.

the pics too you men´s room lurker

onzenuub

The straps are yep.

Tsssssssssssssssssssssk, rude prick.

dalboy

The straps are yep.

cheesy rude prick.

fixed it for ya.

elp

$9 aliexpress light tent, natural light, a piece of slate, and a two year old Huawei smartphone:

21733011469_c6077c9d79_o.jpgBrogue Oxford 5 by Nero Straps, on Flickr

Of course the fact that my strap is gorgeous also helps :)

Khronos

I would recommend a decent smartphone camera too. My DSLR and my compact haven't seen anything but the inside of their boxes since I bought the Galaxy S6. It's that good. I believe that the S7 is even better. HTC one was shit.

Theduke.williams

I would recommend a decent smartphone camera too. My DSLR and my compact haven't seen anything but the inside of their boxes since I bought the Galaxy S6. It's that good. I believe that the S7 is even better. HTC one was shit.

I'd agree with this.

Bought a nice Nikon D60 from Odyseus a few months ago specifically for taking nice photos of my watches, but I struggle to better the results that I get with my S7!

Put a 28 - 300mm lens on it though, and it's great for taking outdoor scenery shots.

madbadger

you need a camera with a macro function, or a DSLR with a fast lens, 2.8 or faster or macro lens.

tonyh7

For me personally you can't beat a decent smart phone camera they have come on so far in recent years and can rival most dedicated cameras. Not only that some have optical stabilizers now and the user interface is unbeatable. You can get dedicated apps to do more if you really get into it.

THIS

No way would I buy a point and shoot today. A good smartphone camera is ALMOST as good. And you can buy a good used entry DSLR for what you would pay for a good point and shoot. I recently bought a mint Canon 550D with two mint canon entry level lenses for 225 Euros. I bought it to mod for astrophotography but my point is I would get a good smartphone and if you get serious, a DSLR.

Some of the new mirror-less cameras are fantastic.

Smartphones are great, but they have their limitations. When we travel my wife uses her iPhone 6, I carry an Olympus Pen. There is a gulf in the quality of images we produce. I replaced the Cannon with the Pen, and carry it nearly everywhere with a Panasonic pancake fixed focus lens. I have a Cannon SLR which gives fantastic results but is a bugger to carry. Smartphones lack the flexibility and the ultimate quality that a larger camera gives. In the end it's down to the quality of the lump of glass you are shooting through.

JohnG

THIS

Some of the new mirror-less cameras are fantastic.

Smartphones are great, but they have their limitations. When we travel my wife uses her iPhone 6, I carry an Olympus Pen. There is a gulf in the quality of images we produce. I replaced the Cannon with the Pen, and carry it nearly everywhere with a Panasonic pancake fixed focus lens. I have a Cannon SLR which gives fantastic results but is a bugger to carry. Smartphones lack the flexibility and the ultimate quality that a larger camera gives. In the end it's down to the quality of the lump of glass you are shooting through.

OP is asking about INEXPENSIVE options. The Olympus Pen is hardly that. Of course a smartphone won´t shoot pictures like a 600 Euro mirrorless camera. And the iPhone doesn´t have the best camera among smartphones (the Huawei P9 with Leica dual camera is better than the iPhone).

For four hundred Euros you can find smartphones that will take better pics than 99% of the "point and shoot" cameras out there. These days it is silly to have a smartphone, AND a point and shoot AND a DSLR or Mirrorless camera.

In any event, PB wants CHEAP.

anfalas
THIS No way would I buy a point and shoot today. A good smartphone camera is ALMOST as good. And you can buy a good used entry DSLR for what you would pay for a good point and shoot. I recently bought a mint Canon 550D with two mint canon entry level lenses for 225 Euros. I bought it to mod for astrophotography but my point is I would get a good smartphone and if you get serious, a DSLR.
Some of the new mirror-less cameras are fantastic. Smartphones are great, but they have their limitations. When we travel my wife uses her iPhone 6, I carry an Olympus Pen. There is a gulf in the quality of images we produce. I replaced the Cannon with the Pen, and carry it nearly everywhere with a Panasonic pancake fixed focus lens. I have a Cannon SLR which gives fantastic results but is a bugger to carry. Smartphones lack the flexibility and the ultimate quality that a larger camera gives. In the end it's down to the quality of the lump of glass you are shooting through.
OP is asking about INEXPENSIVE options. The Olympus Pen is hardly that. Of course a smartphone won´t shoot pictures like a 600 Euro mirrorless camera. And the iPhone doesn´t have the best camera among smartphones (the Huawei P9 with Leica dual camera is better than the iPhone). For four hundred Euros you can find smartphones that will take better pics than 99% of the "point and shoot" cameras out there. These days it is silly to have a smartphone, AND a point and shoot AND a DSLR or Mirrorless camera. In any event, PB wants CHEAP. . .

Completely agree and although smartphones won't match a DSLR you can still get fantastic results when combined with a light tent. In actual fact I'm really not convinced point and clicks are a big enough step up from smartphones anymore so personally I wouldn't bother.

Having said that it all depends on what kind of results your looking for. I'm totally happy with the images I get with my Galaxy S6 and £15 light tent off ebay, so much so my Nikon has been pretty much redundant the last few years. Do they compete with the likes of Gazzla .......err, no but they're good enough for me.