Sign in to follow this  
mad dawg

Help me decide....

mad dawg

People,

My 40th birthday is just around the corner and my lovely wife wants to buy me a gen watch. I want something classic therefore the short list is:

- Submariner, plain SS, ceramic bezel

- Speedmaster, auto, with date

- Panerai 104/312/287

Essential specs are: auto, water resistant to 100m, current model, <9k

What would you pick?

Have I missed something classic?

Thanks,

MD

d1isthe1

Well you can consider the DSSD... else a PAM...

Legger

Lucky you!! It was my 31st 5 weeks ago - tell your wife I'd settle for a rep! :D

I'd go for the PAM 312 given those options.

Many happy returns when it gets to your birthday.

Del

Black Sub for me :thumbsup2:

Mystery Shopper

Black Oyster sub at $10k. Many Happy Returns.

graman

Pam

Akira

Rolex 5513 Gilt dial

From your list I'd buy the PAM

sconehead

Personally I'd go for a used watch in your price range, something you like of course but rare'ish and take a gamble that in 20 or so years you can hand it down as an expensive heirloom...:)

mad dawg

Thanks replyees

There is a lot of Rollie love out there however I myself am leaning toward the Speedy.

I will update this thread with the result in a four weeks. In the mean time I'm trying to to think about because it stresses me out :)

Akira
Personally I'd go for a used watch in your price range, something you like of course but rare'ish and take a gamble that in 20 or so years you can hand it down as an expensive heirloom...:)

+1

Member X

Do some research, find a rolex that was a limited in-between-updates version, and it should hold its value over time. I'm sure someone on here did the same? :unsure:

You could also consider a DJ, but I'm not sure if the DJIIs will hold their value as, at 41mm, they are apparently not selling that well. Could make them hold their value in the future, could do the opposite... we just don't know! lol

I'd buy something you like now - you could be dead in 10 years, hit by a runaway bus lol, so enjoy a watch for you, not what it might be worth, IMHO :)

KBH

If I was buying a gen Rollie right now I'd probably go with a used classic style Sea Dweller. They will become more valuable in the future since they are no longer in production and there was never a huge amount of them made, unlike the Submariners and the DJs. Yet, the used ones are still too new to be considered collectibles.

mad dawg
I'd buy something you like now - you could be dead in 10 years, hit by a runaway bus lol, so enjoy a watch for you, not what it might be worth, IMHO :unsure:

+1

I never plan to sell this watch so retained value is a minor consideration. I've got an old manual Tissot from my grandfather, I don't think it's worth much(never checked) but, to me it's priceless.