Sign in to follow this  
Piccolo

Saying No to "Swiss Made"

GenTLe

"Today, the Swiss Made label is devalued because it is used by entry-level brands to justify their very existence or price point."

So true!

Realism

whatever... next

BadPickle

those that know.... know... you know..

those that don't.....care... quartz...

Genius

I know the startups like the Noob factory throwing Swiss made on everything :rofl:

James.

Valid points but i suspect their clientele would be more horologically read than the average TAG wearing pleb.

SamsonAusKognito

Read that on hodinkee earlier, I'm very curious about their "most swiss watch made".

But I don't think that this will start a new era, or anything like it.

Let's be honest ... who is Moser :lol:

trailboss99

I'm with them the words mean little or nothing these days and that's sad.

shinynewbling52

I have kind of a soft spot for H Moser & Cie. I was in Picciones in Cleveland and they have some lower brands that I would call "jeweler store" brands. Sort of private label nothings that use Rhonda quartz or maybe a shoed in 2824. I assumed this was one of those but I liked the style so I asked to see it. Turned one of the perpetual calendars over and was thinking "this is pretty neat looking for a china or generic watch... pretty darn nice". Wasn't until I got home and looked it up I realized I as looking at a 10k watch with perpetual calendar with clean, classic lines and size. Swiss made still carries weight psychologically just like the Rolex name and other lux goods like Luis Vuitton. Like it or not. It's the name of the luxury game.

RepGuy

I think it's obvious the "Swiss Made" label has gone downhill by the alarming,number of "Swiss Made" Kickstarter watches running a quartz

ShovelnTC

There was a day when Swiss, British, American, West German all meant a quality product whether it was watches, cars, guns or tools and when we bought something from those countries we were confident of a quality product but those days are gone, I know people who think Kia cars are a quality product.......................which I suppose are when compared with Great Wall or Tata :giggle:

Tis a different world now.

Realism
There was a day when Swiss, British, American, West German all meant a quality product whether it was watches, cars, guns or tools and when we bought something from those countries we were confident of a quality product but those days are gone, I know people who think Kia cars are a quality product.......................which I suppose are when compared with Great Wall or Tata :giggle:

I'd take a Kia over a Ford/GM/FiatChyrslee

ShovelnTC

I'd take a Kia over a Ford/GM/FiatChyrslee

Ohhhhh NEVER, but I grew up in the 60's - 70's when even a Jap car was considered crap so old habbits die hard.

Shit I've had four Fords straight and only three of them needed diff replacements before end of warrantee and only one required a Trans replacement during warrantee period, can't get better than that :giggle:

James.

It's not a unredeemable situation, consider the prejudices against the Japanese manufacturing industry in the 50/60's

Haltec
Interesting from H Moser & Cie

http://www.h-moser.com/en/news/12-2016

"For this reason, H. Moser & Cie. has decided to forgo the Swiss Made label, and from 2017, it will no longer appear on the dial of any new H. Moser & Cie. creations."

Excellent marketing move.

And regarding KIA.

Very very sad that they're more reliable (2011+) than most of the German brands.

French and Italian.. well we all know these.

Only Japan (with whose manufacturers I have limited but very good expiriences)

Edited by Haltec

Genius

Kia is Korean not Japanese ya bloody rassists :rofl:

I actually had one as a hire car (c'eed diesel) for a week a couple of months ago and was well and truly shocked by how good it was couldnt believe what kind of quality and equipment you get from a budget hatch nowadays....

Then I looked it up, the model I was driving cost around £25k, I mean what the actual fuck... Who buys these things????? For the same price you could buy a BMW AUC M135i 1 year old car with less than 10k on the clock

GenTLe

And designed in Germany (the EU models): http://www.kia.com/eu/company/kia-motors-europe/

porschespeedster

I'd take a Kia over a Ford/GM/FiatChyrsler

^^^ my stepdad drives all day every day for work, and used to burn through both American and German cars/trucks.

About 3-4 years ago he got a Kia.

They have an assembly plant not far from where he lives in the American South, so i think in his area they're a little more respected than in some places.

He still trades it in every year for a new one as it is a business expense...but unlike his previous fancy cars, none of his Kias have had any problems, ever.

What's funny is he's very successful. He could honestly afford any car on the market, but he goes with Kia.

purger72

I actually had one as a hire car (c'eed diesel) for a week a couple of months ago and was well and truly shocked by how good it was couldnt believe what kind of quality and equipment you get from a budget hatch nowadays....

Then I looked it up, the model I was driving cost around £25k, I mean what the actual fuck... Who buys these things????? For the same price you could buy a BMW AUC M135i 1 year old car with less than 10k on the clock

Guy at my work has Kia Optima GT fully optioned, payed $49000 AUD. It looks great in and out, great quality to.

Thing with Kia at least here in OZ they give 7 year warranty unlimited kilometers plus they trow in 3-5 year free servicing and that is huge advantage over BMW and their limited KM 3 year warranty.

I owned long time ago Korean Dewoo Nubira was some limited edition as well free servicing . Clocked up on that car over 250 000 km and sold it , no issues with the car what so ever. It never let me down, hope it sere well guy I sold if to.

Korean cars, Japanese cars are well build with very reliable engins.

RUSH2112

You would think a genius would know that Korean and Japanese are not races.

tonyh7

Kia make good quality cars. Far less trouble with the one Kia I've owned than any of the beamers I've had. But if you want real problems go for a hand built super car. My pal - sadly no longer with us - was a director at Aston Martin. Had endless issues trying to placate customers who's Aston's had broken down.

IMO same applies to watches. If you want quality go Japanese. If you want style and design Swiss.

dfq23

Kia make good quality cars. Far less trouble with the one Kia I've owned than any of the beamers I've had. But if you want real problems go for a hand built super car. My pal - sadly no longer with us - was a director at Aston Martin. Had endless issues trying to placate customers who's Aston's had broken down.

IMO same applies to watches. If you want quality go Japanese. If you want style and design Swiss.

And if you want ugly oversized things with too much bling on em and a very basic engine/movement under the hood go yank

_3_zpsdmb4otvh.jpg

Better with a meteorite dial

tonyh7

And if you want ugly oversized things with too much bling on em and a very basic engine/movement under the hood go yank

I hired a Dodge SUV in Florida in April. Was more or less brand new. Different warning light came on every time the engine was started and most of the interior trim was loose. Mind you strictly speaking it was Mexican crap, but I'm sure The Donald will soon fix that.

porschespeedster

The Kias I'm talking about are built in Georgia, USA.

dilip

I bet they wouldn't say NO to a Geneva seal though...