Sign in to follow this  
mindvision

Help me buy a 4500 gen

mindvision

Hi guys,

So, a while ago my parents offered me to buy me a watch for my graduation (3000 euros).

I didn't have a gen watch that I liked enough for 3000, so I saved up and have 1500 now myself so I can buy a 4500 watch.

I want to buy a watch that has no good rep.

So I'm thinking the Navitimer World, or the 3714 Black.

Can you please help me by:

1. Sharing your thoughts on which of these two to pick

2. Suggesting another watch that I may like

3. Advice me on if it's safe to buy this watch from Jomashop

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Edited by mindvision

Frankt8242

You do indeed need help... :hangin:

mindvision

You do indeed need help... :hangin:

Thanks for your contribution!

GenTLe

I think they both are well repped.The

IWC from the SWFactory: http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=swf&product_id=1926

The Breit from BP: http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_29&product_id=1699

Frankly I'd go for this (and I'd choose the ref. 311.30.42.30.01.006 which is the one with sapphire AR crystal and caseback with glass to see the movement):

31130423001006-20-large.jpg

RepGuy

While asking for advice is fine, you're the one spending $4500 on a watch. I suggest you get a watch you like, whether or not there is a good rep version available.

mindvision

That's a great suggestion, thank you.

I thought the Navitimer had 2 versions: 1 with working chrono and sunken datewheel and 1 with good datewheel and non-working chromosome.

The 3714, didn't that one have a terrible movement?

I'll look into that Speedmaster, great suggestion.

onzenuub

I thought the Navitimer had 2 versions: 1 with working chrono and sunken datewheel and 1 with good datewheel and non-working chromosome.

A watch with a non-working chromosome isn't really an exception opr it would be some DNA left in the case.

GoW13

Are you going for a new one or can it also be used?

SamsonAusKognito

Navitimer GMT would be my choice, but this one is hardly to get below 6.5k €

GoW13

I really want a new one.

Then I´d go with the speedy as well. Buy an additional leather strap, some more natos and a hirsch robby in red and you have a watch for every situation (except diving ;) )

Nickfive
59383717-C0C9-4E20-8124-CD243431319E_1.png

mindvision

^ looks amazing, but rose gold isn't my thing.

To give you an impression, I have at home:

Breitling SO 44 Abyss white hand

Panerai 026K Noob

AP Diver

IWC Big Pilot

wdev

So much choices in this pricerange ;) If I was spending this I would like to have a versatile watch, one to be worn with a suit and a jeans/shirt

A Speedmaster would be a great choice. If you like divers then maybe a nice classic look diver with all the modern trims...(this is the lefty version with roulette datewheel)

Tudor-Pelagos-LHD-0323.jpg

Nickfive

Or this:

455CBAD0-F49D-4A75-AA9C-353F6DF7CDF3.png

Don't worry about it being repped well or not, just go for what you like the most!

Nickfive

7395B32F-AC95-4A62-9050-2C79D61D71E4.png

Maybe this is more up your street?

I've always wanted the rep of this or the non-chrono version!

Either way you're a lucky sod, enjoy your new watch whatever it may be!

Cleebeauregard

I think they both are well repped.The

IWC from the SWFactory: http://www.tb-688.co...product_id=1926

The Breit from BP: http://www.tb-688.co...product_id=1699

Frankly I'd go for this (and I'd choose the ref. 311.30.42.30.01.006 which is the one with sapphire AR crystal and caseback with glass to see the movement):

31130423001006-20-large.jpg

+1!!!

An absolute standard-bearer. It's a bulletproof movement; it can be dressed up with a high quality croc strap, or dressed down with a Nato; it will never go out of style; no "super-reps" of it exist; and if you decide you want something else down the road, you'll get at least 80% or more of your money back (provided it's taken care of, of course). Not too many watches fit all these criteria.

Cleebeauregard

Of course the Rolex sport models are always good, at least as far as retained value goes, but there are such excellent reps of the Explorer, Submariner, DeepSea, etc., I'd rather spend my $ on something unique that doesn't have a good rep available. Plus, I don't think you're going to get into a new Sub or DeepSea for $4500 Euros, lol... But a gen 16610 would be a safe, although very pedestrian, boring choice.

mindvision

I'm really leaning towards this speedmaster while I didn't even consider it before starting this topic, thanks for that guys!

The blue Breitling is a little too bling for me and the only Rolex I'd consider is the GMT Master.

I'm just worried about the wrist presence of the Speedmaster, doesn't the Navitimer have a way better wrist presence?

Of course the Rolex sport models are always good, at least as far as retained value goes, but there are such excellent reps of the Explorer, Submariner, DeepSea, etc., I'd rather spend my $ on something unique that doesn't have a good rep available. Plus, I don't think you're going to get into a new Sub or DeepSea for $4500 Euros, lol... But a gen 16610 would be a safe, although very pedestrian, boring choice.

Completely agree! One of the 'main' requirements really is that there shouldn't be a super rep of it and that my parents can engrave something on the back!

wdev

Just walk into an AD and try them both on, then you'll have your answer (or end up wanting them both :) )

If it was me, Speedmaster above Navitimer everyday (I find the Breitling dials way to busy)

GoW13

What do you mean by wrist presence: do you have huge wrists or do you want to show off your 4k watch??

A speedy is one of the most known watches around the world, but it doesn´t scream "i spent a ridiculous amount of money for a watch" like a rolex or breitling

Duzza
I'm really leaning towards this speedmaster while I didn't even consider it before starting this topic, thanks for that guys!

The blue Breitling is a little too bling for me and the only Rolex I'd consider is the GMT Master.

I'm just worried about the wrist presence of the Speedmaster, doesn't the Navitimer have a way better wrist presence?

Completely agree! One of the 'main' requirements really is that there shouldn't be a super rep of it and that my parents can engrave something on the back!

The white slide rule on the Navitimer makes it wear small in my experience.

I'd personally buy a used polar Explorer II

mindvision

What do you mean by wrist presence: do you have huge wrists or do you want to show off your 4k watch??

A speedy is one of the most known watches around the world, but it doesn´t scream "i spent a ridiculous amount of money for a watch" like a rolex or breitling

Honestly I don't know my exact wrist size but I do have large wrists.

I don't think a 42 will look too small though, so that's OK.

Wrist presence I mean how much the watch 'shows'. I'm not talking about show-off, just the way it catches my eye. For example, my PO 44 has great wrist presence, so does the AP Diver, even though they're not show-off watches. You know what I mean?

Cleebeauregard

"Wrist presence" is entirely a matter of opinion, unless you're getting into something so blingy that it'd make most people puke...I don't think 99% of the world knows jack shit about watches, other than "Rolexes are expensive...", so if you're goal is to impress the ladies, that 16610 has your name on it, lol.

As far as any engraving on the back is concerned, I get it--It's a nice touch and all, but don't get anything engraved on the watch unless you plan to be buried in it, as it will substantially reduce your resale value (unless you can score an additional genuine caseback somewhere).

mindvision

The white slide rule on the Navitimer makes it wear small in my experience.

I'd personally buy a used polar Explorer II

Parents won't let me buy a second-hand (it's their gift, they don't know that I'm adding some of my own money to it because they would want to pay for that too but I feel bad about it since they're not the most wealthy people).