Sign in to follow this  
kevinisrad

How do you guys explain owning such 'expensive' luxury watches to others?

kevinisrad

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and i'm coming to the replica watch community after being heavily invested in other replica markets, mainly involving fashion replicas.

A big common concern on the fashion replica forums (I go on the one on reddit) is the fear of 'getting called out' or being exposed for wearing fake clothing.

What do you guys think about this in relation to the replica watch community?

Do you tell people your watch is a replica? Do you have an elaborate story to explain the 10k-40k watch on your wrist? I see plenty of watches on here that go for ridiculous prices genuine, and I was just curious to hear what everyone's story was.

Excited to be here, hello everyone!

Soon to be owner of a simple black ss submariner.

Personally, i'd just say it's gen if it were someone i weren't too acquainted with.

BadPickle

People just don't ask, apart from "nice watch" of course, I wear pams and tudors mostly and civilians ain't heard of them.... if they did ask, I would tell them the truth "it's a fake" it's a bloody good one though :lol:

Why lie?

RUSH2112

I don't explain myself to anyone about material things. Why would you?

NCRich

No one cares or asks.

the_frenchman

I never have to explain where my watches come from. To be honest the only person that could call me out as you say is a Rep fora member in the same place at the same time, but this probably will never happen. People in general will just tell you that you have a very good looking watch ( if they actually see it in your wrist...).

My close friends know where my watches come from , i never hide myself or never try to prove something else or to try and give a false impression of myself.

^This^ i supose is the same as many members of us

Nikosaldente
3b6.jpg

deju

I tell folk what's rep and what's gen, my friends with watch collections also do. What we have gen is gen and what we have rep is rep. Why lie?!

Reps are a bit of fun, a hobby etc.

I'd tell someone I don't know my gens a rep... do you want mugged?!

GT86

In a world of Fake tits, asses, Fake news, bleached anuses, and more he/she's than I ever remember hearing about 20 years ago, wearing a AAA 1: 1 clone is fairly tame.

Context my friend. Let this be your mantra if you ever feel nervous about being called out on that black sub :thumbsup2:

NCRich

Tell me more of the bleached anuses.........

Nikohublot

What do you mean when you say the biggest fear in fashionrep scene is to get called out? :0 i dont wear rep clothes but cant imagine that someone foreign comes and call me out in a cafe or at the train station .

And believe me 98% of the People on the streets dont even know what a "Panerai" or AP is ...

So keep calm and enjoy your watch for yourself . If you buy watches to impress People or act like a douchebag then you deserve it to get called out :D.

And to answer your question : I dont talk with foreign people about my watches . My Friends and Family know that they are reps.

GT86

Tell me more of the bleached anuses.........

Be right back, I've left the bathroom cleaner somewhere....

photod.jpg

RUSH2112

Quick story, I helped a friend buy a couple reps a few years ago including a sub, Pam, breitling and a jaeger lecoultre. When his wife saw the JL she googled it and flipped her fucking mind wondering why he spent $30,000 on a watch. Even though they make decent money and could easily afford to buy it she still made a nice scene

gavmeister

Quick story, I helped a friend buy a couple reps a few years ago including a sub, Pam, breitling and a jaeger lecoultre. When his wife saw the JL she googled it and flipped her fucking mind wondering why he spent $30,000 on a watch. Even though they make decent money and could easily afford to buy it she still made a nice scene

That's because she was thinking about all the shoes she could have bought with the $30K!

Deenowatch80

I have started with real watches and have spent a lot of money. I love watches i would be broke if i bought all the watches i love.

so i mix it up a little, sold a lot of my gens a while ago only gen i have now is omega man on the moon i want to buy a rolex batman and the rest will be reps

sorry i know i went of topic but like everybody else i wont lie about a rep. but i also dont just tell people its fake as soon as they say nice watch. :giggle:

Genius

When anyone asks why I have so many super expensive watches?.... Obviously I steal Mario Balotelli's simple one liner from when he crashed his car and the police asked him why he had a pocket stuffed full of cash.....

"because I am rich"

But no one ever gives a fuck about my watches so never been able to use the line

GT86

That's because she was thinking about all the shoes she could have bought with the $30K!

1,000,000 %!!! Although the dynamic with my Mrs. now is whenever a dodgy looking box from China arrives she's wondering if there's a lady-watch in there for her. I think she's up to 5 reps of her own now!

Left Coast Guy

I tell friends and family my watches are reps, and I don't really address anyone else about the topic. Long story short, I was at a party a few years back and a friend marveled at the AP on my wrist, couldn't believe the rep was so nice....he made a scene about it and another guy's wife overhead......and that led the wife and her husband to get into an argument about his watch. At the party. In front of everyone.

From there forward, I figure its better just to keep my little hobby to myself...

GT86

When anyone asks why I have so many super expensive watches?.... Obviously I steal Mario Balotelli's simple one liner from when he crashed his car and the police asked him why he had a pocket stuffed full of cash.....

"because I am rich"

But no one ever gives a fuck about my watches so never been able to use the line

:lmao: What a nutter Super Mario was, wonder if he'll ever sort his brain out and become the proper player he clearly has the talent to be....?

Stewart

Many new members post this or similar topics expecting others to notice that AP ROO and instantly think you have 30K on your wrist. The reality is, no one cares and if they do notice it they will think it's an Invicta.

Most high end brands are far removed from society. Even my snobbiest friends only know Rolex and Tag. Although I did know a VP who bought an AP but could not pronounce the name so he just went around saying it's the same watch Arnold wears...putz.

As for the Rolex you just bought. If someone asks if its real, tell the truth. Otherwise just say you found a good deal on line.

sogeha

Too true, hardly anyone notices. Occasionally, very occasionally an acquaintance might say nice watch and I say thank you. Usually the conversation goes no further.

One of the guys working in the local petrol station noticed my gen Omega and said "nice watch, is it a Fossil?", I just said "I don't think so mate, I picked it up secondhand". I found the fleeting look of pity that crossed his face very amusing.

If anyone I don't know asks about my watch my answer when wearing a rep is "it's a fake mate", when wearing a gen my answer is "it's a fake mate". It takes too long to grow my arm back after some scumbag has ripped it off

kevinisrad

Despite what many of you think, I'm sure there are plenty of you who own replica watches to tout them as genuine. Why else would you care about getting a Rolex Submariner vs an Invicta? Build quality of course is one thing, but my point is, brand recognition is a very desirable thing, and many of you i'm sure have come to this forum because you wanted 'that 9000 dollar watch' but couldn't justify actually spending that amount of money.

The topic is open for discussion, I am not bashing anybody who claims their reps are genuine, or vice versa. Curiosity, that's all.

Deenowatch80

if they ask you if its real tell them yes and let them stir in envy :death:

RUSH2112
Despite what many of you think, I'm sure there are plenty of you who own replica watches to tout them as genuine. Why else would you care about getting a Rolex Submariner vs an Invicta? Build quality of course is one thing, but my point is, brand recognition is a very desirable thing, and many of you i'm sure have come to this forum because you wanted 'that 9000 dollar watch' but couldn't justify actually spending that amount of money.

The topic is open for discussion, I am not bashing anybody who claims their reps are genuine, or vice versa. Curiosity, that's all.

Maybe things are different where I live but no one here touts anything they own or is involved in the concept of "fuck off" watches or cars. Really foreign concept to me.

RepGuy

The only real time you'll get your rep called out is if you post photos on sites like Instagram in the hopes of showing off to others. In real life, like many other members pointed out, people just don't know about these brands aside from Rolex and maybe Tag. Furthermore, the most someone will see if my watch is a fleeting glance when I pass by, or maybe the topside of it on my wrist, which is hardly enough time to "call me out" on its authenticity. When people do ask me about my reps, which has happened maybe a handful of times over the years, I tell them the truth.

mysterio

I buy reps because I like the brand. I don't give a rat's ass about touting anything. I have been asked how expensive my collection must be. I use honesty. "They really aren't worth much. I bought them from a seller in China and only because I couldn't find a decent watch in Greenhills (a local area well known for replica goods)." It backfires, they think I'm being modest. :lol: