Sign in to follow this  
kevinisrad

How do you guys explain owning such 'expensive' luxury watches to others?

GenTLe

I don't have a rep I couldn't afford as a gen at the moment :boxedin:

Me too... Selling my house, and also my mother's one and investing all the derivative money into watches :rofl:

narikaa

OP

You're buying a fake Sub

& fretting about how to justify its antecedents to the spectre of enquiry from your social acquaintances

Tell them you know someone working shovelling fries at Maccy D's & until he can get a full five stars on his company badge he's having trouble making ends meet, so as an act of philanthropic charity you bought his mediocre watch off him.

Seeeemples

;)

Paparolf

who cares.

greg_r

^^^ this but less politely ;)

MetalMickey

Noone asks. Civilians think that Michael Kors make expensive watches. They have never heard of any luxury brands other than Rolex.

narikaa

Noone asks. Civilians think that Michael Kors make expensive watches.

Daydodoedontday

Rokerite

"Luxury" items are priced so that wealthy people can buy them without fear of the great unwashed having the same item.For example a Rolex submariner is 80 times the price of a Regmariner. Yes it is undoubtedly a better watch, better made with better craftsmen using better materials. But is it 80 times better? I don't think so, or put it another way you could buy 80 of the same item for the same money!

fatarms

Never had anyone ask if they were real, if they did I'd tell them it was a rep (unless I was wearing one of my gens of course.) Only had a handful of people in the past 5 yrs or so say things like "nice watch" or "oh, Rolex, sweet watch." Just say thank you and move on. It happens so rarely as people have said in previous replies. More people will just look at do double or triple takes without saying anything, I've had that a lot more.

narikaa

Putting a big size 11 stamp onto this whole self perpetuating discourse

(with all possible candy coating scraped off for you)

This scenario does not and cannot happen

EXCEPT

If the worrier and the prospective "caller outers" all co-exist at the same level of impecunious existence.

So that anyone within that circle ostensibly having anything would raise question

strozzi

"It was a gift from the Sultan of Brunei."

Left Coast Guy

Despite what many of you think, I'm sure there are plenty of you who own replica watches to tout them as genuine. Why else would you care about getting a Rolex Submariner vs an Invicta? Build quality of course is one thing, but my point is, brand recognition is a very desirable thing, and many of you i'm sure have come to this forum because you wanted 'that 9000 dollar watch' but couldn't justify actually spending that amount of money.

The topic is open for discussion, I am not bashing anybody who claims their reps are genuine, or vice versa. Curiosity, that's all.

Maybe folks started at that point.....but once you've been around this hobby for a few years and wearing your watches on the regular, you realize, no one cares!! No one notices your watch.....they don't know what it costs rep or gen. If its not a Rolex, people don't know it from a Seiko.

So like others have said, it may be curiosity, but it just doesn't really work that way in this hobby...

Rokerite

If you go about telling people that your replica watch is genuine you are as fake as the watch is.As others have said 99% of people wouldn't even notice or not care anyway and the ones that do just want to make you out to be liar. If asked just say no but its a good copy isn't it (also say this if it is genuine as there are people out there who would think nowt of chopping your hand off to get it off you;-)

GenTLe

Noone asks. Civilians think that Michael Kors make expensive watches. They have never heard of any luxury brands other than Rolex.

True that!

I was reading on Facebook where a bunch of (young) people was chit-chatting about watches and this stupid MK ones, until someone feeling "big" posted a pic of his "Armani" quartz chrono, claiming he paid a few hundreds for that.

And all the other guys were like "so much for a watch?".

Then I posted a pic (telling it was taken from the web) of a Patek Philippe 5539G, pointing them to notice that such apparently "plain easy" watch was nearly 600k€ and they were all "you're joking us" in a bad way until I pointed them to this page http://www.chrono24....accessoryTypes= ...

They really don't have a clue (as I did too: before entering in this circle I thought a new Rolex was around 1500€...)

sogeha

I was thinking along similar lines earlier. Most of the population would think what we actually pay for the better reps as insane amounts to pay for a watch, never mind what the gen costs. How many average people do you think know how,expensive the top end of the Seiko range is. 200 Quid, 300? Point out its nearer 15000 and watch their faces.

GenTLe

I was thinking along similar lines earlier. Most of the population would think what we actually pay for the better reps as insane amounts to pay for a watch, never mind what the gen costs. How many average people do you think know how,expensive the top end of the Seiko range is. 200 Quid, 300? Point out its nearer 15000 and watch their faces.

When they say to me we spend stupid amounts for "fake watches" I tell them, ok then, find me any watch with a 28800BPH automatic movement, SS or bronze or ceramic or Ti case, sapphire glass with AR, screw-down crown and that (after a check and a gasket greasing) costs less than at least 2 or 3 times that price.

And still they are all "yes but that's a copy!", as if manufacturing a copy costs peanuts... Yes, we probably pay twice the price the TDs pay (if you consider that the wholesalers, that still have their margins, have the same watches at around 2/3 of the price of a TD), but still...

RUSH2112
Putting a big size 11 stamp onto this whole self perpetuating discourse

(with all possible candy coating scraped off for you)

This scenario does not and cannot happen

EXCEPT

If the worrier and the prospective "caller outers" all co-exist at the same level of impecunious existence.

So that anyone within that circle ostensibly having anything would raise question

I'm amazed that this isn't the consensus. It's no ones fucking business and it's a dick question to ask a stranger. I'm shocked so many here feel the need to stop and explain to a complete fucking stranger that their watch is a rep.

Frankt8242

My standard line is :

"I've got a friend in Guangzhou"...The usual reply has been: "Introduce me..!!" :giggle: :giggle:

r0b9502

I think the best response is (as posted by another earlier in the thread)

"what do you think?"

then follow up with, if necessary

"thats all that matters, cowboy"

narikaa

Some people dont as the old saying goes 'have the wit god gave geese'

Justifying a crazy expensive watch

mm

say you where vacationing (no lets say back packing you might have to justify the vacation ;) ) in Cali and the mother of all gunfights kicked off outside your hotel hostel

as the shooting abated and car tyres screeched away you timorously peered out there was a cartel gangster shot to ribbons

they had taken his head and his genitals

so you took his watch

elibodman

No one cares or asks.

Word! No one gives a shit...except bar whores and cops...and fellow replica enthusiasts sayin': That's next on my list...who's your T.D.?

Edited by elibodman

Thrasher

Nobody asks me about my watches, I dont run a tour group through my house and I have Genuines and Reps, Plus I'm sure its been said most people dont know shit and those that think they do are just a joke compared to the hardcore among us. Hell I can walk into any Rolex, Panerai or Omega AD and talk them under the table, The ones that are truly hardcore are great to talk to the others are just as good at selling houses or cars and dont give a crap about the watch. I asked one lady at a store that was a AD for Rolex and other brands above and below a Rolex price point where the Panerai and Omegas were and she said what do you need those for Rolex is the best in the world, I about laughed in her stupid face she probably dosent even know who Hans Wilsdorf is or where the name Rolex was invented.

AJB2

I tell everyone they are fake, but no one ever believes me (reverse psychology?). Come to think of it, no one ever asks. Maybe 3 times in 7 years, maybe.

Same here...I've said my Daydate is fake & was laughed at as I wasn't believed! This was from a close friend who I've known for 30 years who is convinced that, because I have my own business I must be minted!! :giggle:

dejavu157

I tell girls it real. They know even know the difference between a bracelet and a watch. Then i get to smashing!

*back to reality*

I actually have never been asked if its real or fake. I just assume people think its real.

Nikohublot

Lets be honest . Even gen owners would struggle without the gen and macros to compare . Its just us who are so anal about the flaws and tells . Have you ever seen a gen owner or watch lover that concentrated on "how to expose a rep"? We are maybe the only people in the world that spend hours on comparing high res macro shots of reps with gens :D Even that crm yewelers douchbag said that its scary how close the reps are nowadays and he need to loupe or open the casebacks to spot the fake.

100% of the people that call you out are just plain assholes . They would even call you out when you wear a gen!

Daffy

I was asked about my PAM 604 once, by a dealer at a flea market I know fairly well.

I explained that it was a high end reproduction, at 1% of the cost of the real deal. He was more impressed by that, than he would have been by the gen.