Sign in to follow this  
fatarms

A2836 - crown slipping when winding

fatarms

Had this happen one other time, had IrishCain fix it for me. But since he disappeared (along with one of my franken TC shark subs), I can't remember what he ended up doing to it.

Asian 2836 movement. Basically, the crown will wind a few times and then spin freely, then it will catch again and wind a few times, then spin freely - rinse, repeat. Basically it feels like the stem's flat edges aren't engaging the winding mechanism/keyless. Is there anything that a novice (been in a movement or three, but by no friggin means am I an accomplished tinkerer) can look to see is loose or needs adjusting etc..?

Not a showstopper, with a few swirls, the watch starts up. But just an annoyance that I'd like to fix if I can.

Thanks, friends :D

TRANSPORTER

I'd start with Keyless works, but there are a number of pinions that link the clutch etc to the mainspring, so anyone of these may of come adrift so to speak. Whatever, you will have remove movement take off hands and dial before diving in to inspect to see where the fault occurs mate ok

BadPickle

Try a new stem? It's the simplest and by far cheapest thing to start with.... it's a long shot but just maybe.......

10:10 Watch Repair

crown.

TRANSPORTER

Crown and stem, as you say simplest and cheapest, stem may of got worn on an edge or two, not being gen workmanship may not be as good.

Crown and stem, as you say simplest and cheapest, stem may of got worn on an edge or two, not being gen workmanship may not be as good.

1% chance stem or sliding pinion, 98% chance crown: its a very small and precise mechanism making a screw down crown, it's frequently not made well (Chinese...) I used to replace them on reps and gens alike as they're subject to a lot of stress. 1% chance something else.

GenTLe

Are you sure isn't just a sleeping crown clutch? I see very unprobable that the problem is in the keyless in this case.

100% agree with 10:10

NCRich

How would you test a crown?

How would you test a crown?

Put the stem end in a pin vice.

Turn.

NCRich

Thanks. Just got a wonky one in the mail. Winding is hit or miss and the rotor turns when you do wind it. Runs perfectly otherwise.

Thanks. Just got a wonky one in the mail. Winding is hit or miss and the rotor turns when you do wind it. Runs perfectly otherwise.

Rotor turns when you wind?

Fouled reversing wheel / wheels.

The extra resistance can cause the crown to fail.

Theduke.williams

Sounds like the stem length may be wrong.

If you can tinker enough to remove the movement, try winding while movement is outside the case - this may well confirm the above.

If you can tinker enough to remove the movement, try winding while movement is outside the case - this may well confirm the above.

Why would stem length cause the rotor to turn when winding?

BadPickle

:facepalm: don't be silly now

NCRich

:facepalm: don't be silly now

:lol:

GenTLe

Probably a good clean and lubrication of the reversing wheels will help, if the crown is not "gone".

Personally I clean the reversing wheels with warm isopropyl alcohol (made warm by using hot water in the ultrasonic cleaner and putting the little jar with alcohol and the parts in it, bain-marie way) and a good 5 minutes ultrasonic cycle. Then, when fully dried, I dip them into Lubeta105 (which is a kind of PTFE suspended into a volatile media) and let them dry on a not absorbing clean surface.

To reach them you need to take away the rotor, the 2 black screws that keep the autowinding bridge on the movement and, once taken away the bridge and put it upside down, the screw which keep them in place on the autowinding bridge.

NCRich

Disassembled the winding bridge and cleaned it in lighter fluid. Didn't have magic PTFE fluid so I used some general purpose mobius on the reversing wheels and jewels(tiny amounts). Works great now.

So........cleaned the crown in purple stuff. Nasty thing. Oiled it but the stem won't pop out reliably so it slips when you wind it. Unscrew it, pull it out just a bit, and it winds. Sets fine. I doubt it will be worth the pain and expense of obtaining a Tudor BB crown just to take care of this. If you wore it all the time you'd never know it.

It will just irritate me to the point that I will shun the watch and never wear it.

GenTLe

Good job mate.

PS: what the "purple stuff" is?

NCRich

Good job mate.

PS: what the "purple stuff" is?

Fairly powerful cleaner/degreaser. Won't harm rubber but I dropped a bezel insert in it the other day and it ate the paint off in a couple minutes. It is cheap, so I toss the bracelets/cases/crowns in it overnight. Eats away everything not metal or rubber.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aiken-Purple-Power-Degreaser-Concentrate/16778257?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2419&adid=22222222227019585099&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839618992&wl4=pla-78652671272&wl5=1021329&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113134491&wl11=online&wl12=16778257&wl13=&veh=sem

NCRich

Uh, take care then, I have tried the "cillit bang" (http://www.slicedesi...10/result23.jpg) in the past and that bastard made my metal black :(

I've used this stuff all my life. On damn near everything from clothing to degreasing car engines. It works great on everything except cheaply painted fake rolex inserts. :lol:

edit, oh that stuff you linked has an acid in it. That is what gets the limescale off. I'd stay away from that.

gavmeister

What great insight lads. Borrowing a few ideas from here! Don't worry - I'll put them back after.