Sign in to follow this  
kevinisrad

Will a watchsmith be able to service/repair a 2813?

kevinisrad

I've got a submariner with a 21j movement, and the power reserve seems to be having issues, in which the watch won't stay fully wound. Otherwise the watch functions fine, still runs, etc.

First of all, will a watchsmith be able to repair a 21j in the event that I need something repaired?

If so, what exactly can a watchsmith do for me? Would they need a new part, or would they even know what to do with a 2813 when they see one?

I'm quite unsure about the process of getting a watch repaired, especially one with a movement such as this.

I asked the same on rwi, and i was met with this response "I may be wrong (?) but I seriously doubt you will find anyone to work on a 2813. Who would waste their time on a $30 movement. Plus, they literally break if you look at them the wrong way (second pinion anyways)."

Can anybody chime in? I think that would be ridiculous, why wouldn't a watchsmith want to repair ANY particular watches, that's kinda what they do for a living. I would understand if it's hard for them to source a part, or unfamiliar with the movement, but I don't see how that would be possible considering i'm sure they're having to service/repair all different types of watches as a watchsmith.

Thanks!

dalboy

New movement is the way to go.

Cheap as chips !

Dal.

Genius

Service will be £60-£100

New movement £25

That's why it's not worth fixing just swap the movement

NCRich

Crap movement to work on. I've never got one assembled correctly after I took it apart and I can do other movements. Hell I can't even get the main bridge back on. I would not waste my time repairing.

kevinisrad

New movement is the way to go.

Cheap as chips !

Dal.

Thanks for the input! Do you think a watchsmith can input a new movement for me? What exactly can they do for me? Mine doesn't seem to be fully broken, just might be a small issue in which is keeping it from being fully wound. Can they fix that for me, is that a possibility?

I would like to refrain from replacing the entire movement if possible, for the cost, even if it IS cheap as chips, if i could just get a small thing repaired in my watch to have it functioning fine again, i'd prefer that.

In the event the movement needs replacement, do watchsmiths usually have the ability to do that? Do they have extra movement replacements or something of the sort?

kevinisrad

Crap movement to work on. I've never got one assembled correctly after I took it apart and I can do other movements. Hell I can't even get the main bridge back on. I would not waste my time repairing.

I understand you wouldn't waste your time repairing it, but that's not what i asked. I literally just received the watch, and i'm not going to throw away my 150 dollar investment just because there's a small issue with it, i want it goddamn repaired.

kevinisrad

Service will be £60-£100

New movement £25

That's why it's not worth fixing just swap the movement

I see, even if it's just a minor issue such as mine? Literally functions fine except it won't stay fully wound. Might even be a minor issue?

In the event i choose to get it replaced, do watchsmiths have replacement movements they can swap my 'broken' one out with? Mine isn't even fully broken, literally just a minor issue in which it won't stay wound.

Genius

Most likely will find ant watchstraps who regularly work on reps will have a few 2813s knocking about

kevinisrad

You guys aren't answering my actual question. If it's a minor issue that a watchsmith can fix, wouldn't it be better to just get it fixed? It could just be a small issue that doesn't require me to replace the entire thing, not even a full repair as my movement still functions fine.

In the event i do swap it out with a brand new 2813 movement, would i need to buy it myself and swap it? Can a watchsmith do that for me? Do they usually have stuff like that?

I'm literally clueless and your answers are pretty much all chirping the same thing.

edit: If i do have to swap the movement, point me in the right direction of buying a replacement 2813, or perhaps a guide of some sort.

Edited by kevinisrad

Genius

If it's something minor and obvious then it may be fixable but it's very likely that even a very small issue will mean its more expensive to fix the movement than it is to replace it

kevinisrad

If it's something minor and obvious then it may be fixable but it's very likely that even a very small issue will mean its more expensive to fix the movement than it is to replace it

I see.

So in your opinion, the best and cheapest way for me to get my watch running perfectly again is to get the movement replaced with another new 21j?

BadPickle

I see.

So in your opinion, the best and cheapest way for me to get my watch running perfectly again is to get the movement replaced with another new 21j?

Bingo :thumbsup:

dalboy

Kevin .. really !!

Do you need us to take you by the hand .

Movement regardless of issue will cost as much to fix if possible , if not more than a NEW replacement .

As to locating said movement .. the watchsmith or you can source it .. it matters not .

It's not rocket science !!

New Movement.

Dal.

kevinisrad

Thank you, very informative. Where is the best place to buy a replacement movement for my watch? I think i will purchase it asap, and take both to a watchsmith to have them replace it for me. I wonder how much the service fee would cost for them to replace it for me...

BadPickle
kevinisrad

Suppose it depends where you are on the planet, but this seller is ok -- http://m.ebay.com/it...3%257Ciid%253A1

Maybe someone here will swap it for you.....

Your guide seems really simple, but i would need to buy a proper toolkit i suppose. Thank you very much for the help, i really do appreciate it a lot.

Also, i'm in the US. But it seems like i'll have to source the replacement movement from china.

Edited by kevinisrad

NCRich

Suppose it depends where you are on the planet, but this seller is ok -- http://m.ebay.com/it...3%257Ciid%253A1

Your guide seems really simple, but i would need to buy a proper toolkit i suppose. Thank you very much for the help, i really do appreciate it a lot.

Also, i'm in the US. But it seems like i'll have to source the replacement movement from china.

Nah, Esslinger or Otto Frei have movements. Esslinger probably has cheaper shipping. I keep 3 or 4 replacements laying about as its not worth messing with a 2813 other than to take the hands and dial off. What watch is it?

BadPickle

The movements are made in China :D

It's not such a difficult swap, let's not forget the parts are small and fragile though, and I have broken a lot to get to here :lmao:

NCRich

It's not such a difficult swap, let's not forget the parts are small and fragile though, and I have broken a lot to get to here :lmao:

Hands like clubs? :lol:

Personally I've never broken any watches. Want to buy a bridge?

kevinisrad

Nah, Esslinger or Otto Frei have movements. Esslinger probably has cheaper shipping. I keep 3 or 4 replacements laying about as its not worth messing with a 2813 other than to take the hands and dial off. What watch is it?

It's a regmariner. I sadly messed up the movement on the first day of me owning it, so i'm quite sad but really wanting to get it up and running so i can start finally enjoying it to it's fullest.

I found this one on esslinger, but it's quite a bit more expensive than ordering the one off of ebay!

http://www.esslinger.com/chinese-mechanical-3-hand-watch-movement-dg2813-date-at-3-00-overall-height-7-5mm/

I'm sure you guys are really tired of the questions by now, but will any watch repair kit off of amazon or such suffice in replacing this movement myself?

NCRich

Holy crap that is expensive.

You will in all likelihood screw up this watch if you try to replace the movement. It is not a beginner job. Where are you in the USA?

kevinisrad

Holy crap that is expensive.

You will in all likelihood screw up this watch if you try to replace the movement. It is not a beginner job. Where are you in the USA?

Yeah, i was unsure of it to be honest. It looks simple according to the guide, but i don't know if i can trust myself to do it as a beginner. I'm in California. I have zero problems with buying a replacement movement and taking it into a watchsmith, or maybe even sending it to someone trusted on here.

kevinisrad

Out of curiosity, which step along the process did you end up breaking the movement? Your tutorial seems fairly simple but of course that doesn't mean i should go out and immediately attempt it hahaha

kevinisrad

Is there a big difference between these two?

http://www.ebay.com/...%3D322378414832

http://www.ebay.com/...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They both appear to be DG2813 movements, but one is significantly cheaper.

edit: apparently the more expensive one is a real DG, according to some people on rwi. I won't skimp out, and i'll order the one that one of you guys suggested.

Edited by kevinisrad