Sign in to follow this  
kevinisrad

Will a watchsmith be able to service/repair a 2813?

10:10 Watch Repair

Cheap as chips !

How much are chips nowadays?

BTW and FWIW, long ago I used to service 21J movements. The results were pretty good, but unpredictable because the parts were never made correctly. The little bastards are tough, and were never designed to be serviced - most movement design includes holes for inspection, and separate bridges that make assembly easier / possible (among other things.) The 21J is not so thoughtful.

BadPickle

The movements are made in China :D

It's not such a difficult swap, let's not forget the parts are small and fragile though, and I have broken a lot to get to here :lmao:

Out of curiosity, which step along the process did you end up breaking the movement? Your tutorial seems fairly simple but of course that doesn't mean i should go out and immediately attempt it hahaha

I didn't break the movement, but I've bent a few hands in my time, generally the cheaper Chinese hands are easily broken. You need to understand where some of these watches are initially assembled, there's no quality control department, and if a tiny spec of glue is needed then so be it, i've seen hands glued on to movements, just makes them more of a challenge to tinker with :lol:

elp

The movements are made in China :D

It's not such a difficult swap, let's not forget the parts are small and fragile though, and I have broken a lot to get to here :lmao:

Out of curiosity, which step along the process did you end up breaking the movement? Your tutorial seems fairly simple but of course that doesn't mean i should go out and immediately attempt it hahaha

I didn't break the movement, but I've bent a few hands in my time, generally the cheaper Chinese hands are easily broken. You need to understand where some of these watches are initially assembled, there's no quality control department, and if a tiny spec of glue is needed then so be it, i've seen hands glued on to movements, just makes them more of a challenge to tinker with :lol:

Depends if you have a handy hairdryer :)

bobandshawn

Jeez...how many people across the fora are gonna have to waste their time and tell you the same thing...

kevinisrad

Jeez...how many people across the fora are gonna have to waste their time and tell you the same thing...

Jeez, can you even read? I've decided to replace the movement, your comment is irrelevant.

bobandshawn

OOPS - someone saw how whiny I've been everywhere over a simple fix. No worries - your post count remains inflated...

JSJ
Is there a big difference between these two?

http://www.ebay.com/...%3D322378414832

http://www.ebay.com/...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They both appear to be DG2813 movements, but one is significantly cheaper.

edit: apparently the more expensive one is a real DG, according to some people on rwi. I won't skimp out, and i'll order the one that one of you guys suggested.

I would use the seller carbinet2009. He's a top guy, very fast shipping. I often had delivery within a week of ordering.

mike_morgan

The definitive guide to repairing a 2813:

Step one: remove the back from the watch... Stare at the inner workings in all their glory.

Step two: remove the winding stem... follow the online tutorials out there on the interwebs, or watch a you-tube video... make sure you bend the stem when you pull it out. Bonus points if you stab yourself with it... Please notice that an AMAZING amount of blood comes out of the tiny hole made by the tip of the stem... it's just CRAZY! CAUTION... These parts were in China recently, if you DO stab yourself, you probably now have the SARS virus... tragically, you may live.

Step three: Place the movement in a proper movement holder, if you do not have a holder, that's OK... move on to the next step anyway

Step four: Grab your RED screwdriver... remove every screw in sight... as you remove these screws make certain that you place every one DIRECTLY in the trash bin, so you don't have to go through the bother of losing them later.

Step five: Tip the movement over and dump all of the loose bridges, gears, levers and springs onto your work mat... shove these aside so you can show your friends how tiny the parts are... they will be amazed. If you're all classy and stuff, do the exact same thing to the calibre or if you're REALLY Hoity Toity, the Ebauche is what you'll be working on, be aware of that!

Step six: Remove the hands... CAREFULLY... using the presto hand puller and DO protect the dial, this IS IMPORTANT. (You will want to reuse these parts and they show, so keep them in good condition)

Step seven: remove the dial... if you don't know what the dial is, then remove the face instead, that will have to do.

Step eight: The plate that remains is really cool looking... stare at it for a while.... you're going to need to rest up for a minute before proceeding to step NINE, which is THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP

STEP NINE: THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP.... The time has come to admit that you don't know how to repair this bloody thing, BUT, now you fully understand why a professional watch maker is going to charge you 150 bucks to fix a 20 dollar Asian movement, because time is money and it's STUPID to waste money fixing something that can be replaced for a LOT less.

OPTIONAL STEPS....

1) Gather up the parts and sell them on eBay using the heading "Steam Punk Jewelry Parts"... You should be able to get back your 20 bucks if you write a good enough ad.

2) Order a new movement and you probably have a pretty good clue if you'll be able to replace it or not, so the entire process was not wasted, and it was probably fun for the whole family, actually... so...

You're welcome.

Edited by mike_morgan

narikaa

Two invaluable aide memoires re "can a watchsmith fix a 2813"

If the watchsmith declares incapability, bail, as hes not really a watchsmith more of a masquerading wanker who doubtless has many little heels to be getting on with sticking on ladies shoes.

If hes some kind of prima donna who feels his fee for a simple fix should exceed the cost of the movement, bail, and leave the self inflated gump to his dreams of film star lifestyles.

Seeemples

;)

elp

The definitive guide to repairing a 2813:

Step one: remove the back from the watch... Stare at the inner workings in all their glory.

Step two: remove the winding stem... follow the online tutorials out there on the interwebs, or watch a you-tube video... make sure you bend the stem when you pull it out. Bonus points if you stab yourself with it... Please notice that an AMAZING amount of blood comes out of the tiny hole made by the tip of the stem... it's just CRAZY! CAUTION... These parts were in China recently, if you DO stab yourself, you probably now have the SARS virus... tragically, you may live.

Step three: Place the movement in a proper movement holder, if you do not have a holder, that's OK... move on to the next step anyway

Step four: Grab your RED screwdriver... remove every screw in sight... as you remove these screws make certain that you place every one DIRECTLY in the trash bin, so you don't have to go through the bother of losing them later.

Step five: Tip the movement over and dump all of the loose bridges, gears, levers and springs onto your work mat... shove these aside so you can show your friends how tiny the parts are... they will be amazed. If you're all classy and stuff, do the exact same thing to the calibre or if you're REALLY Hoity Toity, the Ebauche is what you'll be working on, be aware of that!

Step six: Remove the hands... CAREFULLY... using the presto hand puller and DO protect the dial, this IS IMPORTANT. (You will want to reuse these parts and they show, so keep them in good condition)

Step seven: remove the dial... if you don't know what the dial is, then remove the face instead, that will have to do.

Step eight: The plate that remains is really cool looking... stare at it for a while.... you're going to need to rest up for a minute before proceeding to step NINE, which is THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP

STEP NINE: THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP.... The time has come to admit that you don't know how to repair this bloody thing, BUT, now you fully understand why a professional watch maker is going to charge you 150 bucks to fix a 20 dollar Asian movement, because time is money and it's STUPID to waste money fixing something that can be replaced for a LOT less.

OPTIONAL STEPS....

1) Gather up the parts and sell them on eBay using the heading "Steam Punk Jewelry Parts"... You should be able to get back your 20 bucks if you write a good enough ad.

2) Order a new movement and you probably have a pretty good clue if you'll be able to replace it or not, so the entire process was not wasted, and it was probably fun for the whole family, actually... so...

You're welcome.

:lmao2: Should be a sticky

I could make a fortune from collected Steam Punk Jewelry Parts :lol:

BabaNJ

So did he ever got it fixed after all that?? It wasn't mentioned in any posts so i am saying allwatchparts.com have dg2813 movements for $30 shipped in usa and they are dg2813 not the nn2813 like some sellers on ebay.

mike_morgan

Two invaluable aide memoires re "can a watchsmith fix a 2813"

If the watchsmith declares incapability, bail, as hes not really a watchsmith more of a masquerading wanker who doubtless has many little heels to be getting on with sticking on ladies shoes.

If hes some kind of prima donna who feels his fee for a simple fix should exceed the cost of the movement, bail, and leave the self inflated gump to his dreams of film star lifestyles.

Seeemples

;)

So, should a guy that charges 50 dollars an hour to work on a 5000 dollar watch lower his price to 50 cents an hour when working on a 50 dollar watch?

narikaa

Probably, if as you allude to, his time is somehow magically linked to the value of what he touches during it

mike_morgan

Probably, if as you allude to, his time is somehow magically linked to the value of what he touches during it

I don't recall making that comparison, it seemed as though you did when you said "If hes some kind of prima donna who feels his fee for a simple fix should exceed the cost of the movement,"

To me, that means that if the watch movement is inexpensive, you feel as though the cost to repair it should also be inexpensive. It seemed to me that you were saying that watch repairmen should charge less to work on cheap movements, because they are cheap movements. How does the labor become worth less if the watch is worth less? I'm missing something here.

narikaa

Because what you are missing is that there is rampant overcharging in this 'trade'

Ive NEVER paid over £10GBP for a fix (either in 'rip off' Britain or out East)

Rokerite

It is not the cost of the watch what a "tradesmen" should take into account for his price, but the time (labour) he takes to do the job, and the cost of materials needed to do the job. The price of the watch is neither here nor there.

BabaNJ

In usa most guys won't even touch the watch without $20 or so. That's why I started buying my own tools and doing swaps/simple fixes myself. For example a simple battery change in quartz watch is about $20.

Rokerite

Daylight robbery, anybody can do that with the right tools. Watchmaking is a different kettle of fish and you pay the watchmaker for "what he knows" rather than "what he did".

mike_morgan

Because what you are missing is that there is rampant overcharging in this 'trade'

There's an old saying: "If you have a simplistic understanding of a task, then you will believe it's a simple task".

Time is money, properly "fixing" most watches, cheap or expensive, still takes time, and the time spent has a value no matter what the value of the object being repaired. If the time it takes to repair is worth more than the price of replacing it, perhaps replacing it is the best way to avoid being "ripped off" by that horrible watch repair man that wants to be compensated for his effort in education, investment in tools, and the time it takes to work on somebody else's property.

Rokerite

If it is going to cost more than the value of the watch to fix it that is a "write off" in motoring parlance.

black263

There's an old saying: "If you have a simplistic understanding of a task, then you will believe it's a simple task".

Time is money, properly "fixing" most watches, cheap or expensive, still takes time, and the time spent has a value no matter what the value of the object being repaired. If the time it takes to repair is worth more than the price of replacing it, perhaps replacing it is the best way to avoid being "ripped off" by that horrible watch repair man that wants to be compensated for his effort in education, investment in tools, and the time it takes to work on somebody else's property.

And that's why the quickest/cheapest way to repair a 21J would be to buy a replacement movement, and pay for the relatively short time needed to swap it out, as opposed to the long time to strip the movement down and carry out a repair.

mike_morgan

And that's why the quickest/cheapest way to repair a 21J would be to buy a replacement movement, and pay for the relatively short time needed to swap it out, as opposed to the long time to strip the movement down and carry out a repair.

I agree COMPLETELY... That's not being a rip-off... it's looking out for the best interest of the watch owner.