Sign in to follow this  
Thelittleprince

Should i go gen on this one? (IT WENT UP IN VALUE)

Thelittleprince

Been calculating and realized if i sell a bunch of my reps i can get the Ck2998 gen. I don't think we will see a proper rep of this one and i have been drooling over it since it came out! My question is do you guys think its a good investment? I have never invested more than around 2 grand in a watch so im a bit hesitant! Ofcorse i come to my Rwg fam for advice :)

Do you guys think its a good investment?

Will it gain, retain or lose value in your opinion?

Am i making the right choice?

Thanks in advance guys!

SP_CK_31133403002001_Vue_C_large_zpse85lejn5.jpg

phone

Personally I wouldn't considering going gen for investment purposes. If you like it buy it :)

ShovelnTC

I made inquiries when this first came out at Baselworld and gave expression of interest with an offer of a deposit to the Aussie AD at which time they told me I was first on the list and that they would contact me with info but to my disgust they contacted me some time later and told me that all stock had been allocated and none would be available for me.

The price is not cheap and possibly will appreciate but likely only if it's kept mint so that then takes it out of regular use so in my opinion there's not much point if you are looking for a good return.

My other reason for not buying Gen is that I simply have too many other more worthy things to spend my cash on so that's what you need to consider.

It's all about disposable income and your particular amount of desire.

Good luck with your decision.

Thelittleprince

Great solid points!!! My only concern really is if it would lost a lot of value! Not really looking to invest in something that will appreciate, just for it to retain or atleast not lose too much value

fatarms

Great solid points!!! My only concern really is if it would lost a lot of value! Not really looking to invest in something that will appreciate, just for it to retain or atleast not lose too much value

There's no way to know this ahead of time. That's the case for most things, not just watches.

ShovelnTC

Yeah I just realised you had responded to my original post about this watch so I see your obsesion with it hasn't faded, I gave up on it awhile back so it didn't send me over the edge.

I think this one wouldn't lose a LOT if any but when we are talking Gens the losses can be significant so think hard before ploughing your cash into it.

porschespeedster

it's beautiful.

fatarms

You have $6000 worth of reps? Am I looking at the right watch online?

Thelittleprince

Should have been more clear with that lol! I have to sell a couple of reps to add on to my budget

And theres a bunch on ebay brand new for around 5 grand

fatarms

Should have been more clear with that lol! I have to sell a couple of reps to add on to my budget

So they sell for about 6 grand from AD's, and they're selling on ebay for 5 grand... I think you have your answer about them retaining or appreciating in value, at least short term?

Thelittleprince

So they sell for about 6 grand from AD's, and they're selling on ebay for 5 grand... I think you have your answer about them retaining or appreciating in value, at least short term?

Thats true! Relooked right now and the cheapest was around 5900 ish! So didnt lose that much, i was wondering tho since its limited wouldn't that create a demand maybe in the future? For omega collectors?

fatarms

Thats true! Relooked right now and the cheapest was around 5900 ish! So didnt lose that much, i was wondering tho since its limited wouldn't that create a demand maybe in the future? For omega collectors?

Pepsi Clear was limited edition as well. Limited edition does not = valuable.

Thelittleprince

100% Thank you so much for the advice!

This i why i come here first :)

fatarms

100% Thank you so much for the advice!

This i why i come here first :)

Watches should be bought for you to wear and enjoy. The affordable watches that turned into million dollar watches such as the 6263 are in excellent condition. A large part of the notoriety for that watch probably comes from the Newman name tied to it. Then you had to wait for it to age 40-50 yrs for it to mature to that price. Look at it this way, if it's a watch you really like, and if you buy it and enjoy it for years to come, you win. You can hold onto it and pass it down to someone who may cherish it for many more years, and that makes it a win-win. If by luck it appreciates in value for yourself or whomever you pass it down to, it's a win-win+.

I have two watches I'll never part with for sentimental reasons. The 16750 I have is from my wife's grandfather, and my Seawolf II is my wedding present from my wife. They'll both be passed down to my children. As for the monetary value, one's gone up and the other's gone down for the time being, but that's not the factor as to why I hold on to them or intend to pass it down to my kids. I enjoy them, and I hope my children would keep them as heirlooms, things that will transfer to generations. That's where the value lies in my eyes.

James.

The only watches you should ever consider purchasing as an "investment" are:

-Ltd edition Rolex or Patek, in steel.

-vintage watches that are long out of production and already increasing in value.

Trying to predict long term pricing relative to initial investment on a modern luxury good, produced at least in the thousands is, frankly, stupid and short-sighted. Its irrelevant if omega releases a new speedy ltd and it sells out and increases in resale (see snoopy) because these are big business conglomerates who recognise the success and demand or those watches who will flood the market and release more in the future (not specifically the exact same, but similar see panerai bronzo for example). These companies may pander to the "collectors" in releasing the initial edition but have zero reliability to stick by limiting availability of desired designs/dial configurations. The "speedy tuesday" panda will increase is resale vs retail price. Until omega release a slighty different panda dial. And another, and another.

If you want a speedy which will increase in value get a 2998-61 or 105.012-63 with 1506 bracelet.

Oh and keep in mind youd probably get a better net ROI by putting the $5k in APPL shares over 20 years than waiting for a watch to appreciate in value over the same period.

ShovelnTC

All great advice in here but in the end you, like me, are simply trying to justify the big spend.

My decision was made with a very expensive swimming pool restoration which decimated my Gen watch fund (which had over 10k in it) and still added debt to the mortgage so no Gens for me.

Good luck with your decision (dilemma) :D

Thelittleprince
All great advice in here but in the end you, like me, are simply trying to justify the big spend.

My decision was made with a very expensive swimming pool restoration which decimated my Gen watch fund (which had over 10k in it) and still added debt to the mortgage so no Gens for me.

Good luck with your decision (dilemma) :D

True!! I think people are getting the wrong idea that im trying to get the watch so i could earn a lot of money in the future! Though i wont completely discredit that factor, my real concern is just not to lose money on an expensive time peice!

Theduke.williams

Great topic, loaded with lots of useful information.

Just like thelittleprince, I am considering 'investing' some money in a genuine watch, my grail being the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph 600m Pumpkin (Calibre 9300). They can be bought new for around UK £5,000. This model isn't a limited one, so they should be plentiful on the second hand market, but curiously I don't see many of them about.

The reason I use the term 'Invest' is because, if I hit hard times (God knows, I've been there often enough in my life), I know there should still be a rainy day fund wrapped up in the watch. I accept I would lose maybe 25% value, even if the watch is pampered, but I don't really want to consider that this value could be more like 50% in the real world. As previously stated though, the idea is to buy the watch you love, and enjoy it.

Maybe some of the members here have been in this exact predicament, and may like to elaborate? It would be nice to have an experienced take on the sort of depreciation your watch could be expected to undergo.

splke

the spectre omega is the one I noticed almost doubled in value recently , but saying that you still have to find a buyer willing to pay for it !

what it is worth and what you can expect to receive can be huge.

measure in a significant loss when you are buying your piece if you are using it as a bond. also go to an AD and barter with them I got offered a speedy at a lower price new than what watchfinder had it listed at 2nd hand

James.

Just like thelittleprince, I am considering 'investing' some money in a genuine watch, my grail being the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph 600m Pumpkin (Calibre 9300). They can be bought new for around UK £5,000. This model isn't a limited one, so they should be plentiful on the second hand market, but curiously I don't see many of them about.

The reason I use the term 'Invest' is because, if I hit hard times (God knows, I've been there often enough in my life), I know there should still be a rainy day fund wrapped up in the watch. I accept I would lose maybe 25% value, even if the watch is pampered, but I don't really want to consider that this value could be more like 50% in the real world. As previously stated though, the idea is to buy the watch you love, and enjoy it.

Maybe some of the members here have been in this exact predicament, and may like to elaborate? It would be nice to have an experienced take on the sort of depreciation your watch could be expected to undergo.

Terrible idea with an omega. Itll take longer to sell and is less desirable than say a rolex so you may have to move further than youd like on the price. If you want something to hold value go vintage rolex date just, easy to flip and if you buy well you break even. Everything else youre looking at around 10% depreciation per annum minimum depending on condition and currency fluctuations not to mention if the brand releases a newer model of the same line which will put further downward pressure on resale prices as that model becomes less desirable.

Imo keep your rainy day fund in highly liquid high interest (relatively) savings accounts. The point is easy access and to beat inflation each year, not make a profit which considered against the depreciation and difficulty in selling a second hand watch in a time of need, should be your choice.

Duzza

Terrible idea with an omega. Itll take longer to sell and is less desirable than say a rolex so you may have to move further than youd like on the price. If you want something to hold value go vintage rolex date just, easy to flip and if you buy well you break even. Everything else youre looking at around 10% depreciation per annum minimum depending on condition and currency fluctuations not to mention if the brand releases a newer model of the same line which will put further downward pressure on resale prices as that model becomes less desirable.

Imo keep your rainy day fund in highly liquid high interest (relatively) savings accounts. The point is easy access and to beat inflation each year, not make a profit which considered against the depreciation and difficulty in selling a second hand watch in a time of need, should be your choice.

With Rolex sports watches, the discontinued models become more desirable, not less.

James.

With Rolex sports watches, the discontinued models become more desirable, not less.

Yes, the 116520 is now trading at a $1000 premium than before the ceramic tona was announced. Rolex and patek SS watches are exceptions to the rule that a watch is a luxury good and generally guaranteed to depreciate. Its also assisted by the annual price adjustments in their current stocked models.

dilip

In order for those special edition speedmasters to retain any sort of steady value over the years here in Sweden they have to be serviced and maintained as the years pass. The crux is that not many ad's accept grey market omegas to their workshops here at all. So if you're buying a piece without correct paperwork you're in for a different kind of ride. Nice looking watch though, already seeing some nice prices on those second hand here.

Duzza

Yes, the 116520 is now trading at a $1000 premium than before the ceramic tona was announced. Rolex and patek SS watches are exceptions to the rule that a watch is a luxury good and generally guaranteed to depreciate. Its also assisted by the annual price adjustments in their current stocked models.

Mine has made a lot more than that and I bought it after the ceramic was announced. Paid £6,800, could easily get £10,000 for it now. Box, papers 2011, mind condition.

RUSH2112

There is no guarantee any watch will appreciate. Even watches today that are highly collectible and have appreciated could become worthless if the demand dries up.