Sign in to follow this  
coolin

Off to pick up my Holy Grail for my 50th birthday

coolin

After owning a multitude of Reps over the years and also a few Gens I wanted something a little extra special to celebrate reaching half a century on the planet. So several months ago I began making a shortlist and following it up by tracking each one down and trying them on the flesh so to speak.

Although the majority of my choices were beautiful pieces I kept going back to the same one which was the IWC Perpetual Calendar. It ticked all the right boxes and I have always been fascinated by high end complications and this had more than I ever expected for my price range.

I can never justify the price I have paid for this watch but I was lucky in one respect as it was the last of the current model and discounted accordingly. Its replacement was almost identical apart from a slightly redesigned moon phase display but also came with a £6k hike in price! This coupled with knowing the dealer well due to making a previous purchase and also a £5k donation from my wife made it a little less painful on my pocket.

the bad bits!

I hate the strap! I have to invest in the light brown croc one which will cost me as much as a decent Rep!

I am not allowed to wear it until my birthday this Friday the 18th March.

oh and It will need a slight adjustment in the year 3000 lol

quick wrist shot more to follow when im allowed to have it

IWCpp.jpg

mulder

Sweeeeeeettttttttttttt Luck bugger and Happy Birthday for Friday.

gran

Dream watch indeed. Jetmid will be be envious.

Jannis76

This is an alltime classic mate! Absolutely stunning!

You will it enjoy it for the next 50 years on the planet!

Congrats for an excellent Choice and a timeless piece of

watchmaking!

Wear it in good health!!

Cheers,

Jannis

Del

Amazing watch! You're a lucky chap :thumbsup2:

Wiz
:thumbsup2:

Inushuk

wow ... that is nice ... IWC Portugese Perpetual Calendar ! What a graaaaaaaal ! :thumbsup2: Great choice

Happy Birthday in advance for Friday.. Wear it well and enjoy it ....

Slim

Nice! Welcome to the IWC owners club. But unfortunately I believe you'll have to have a watchmaker make the necessary adjustments in 2100, not 3000.

scope

Wow, Congrats and Happy Birthday.

jameo210369

How did you get your wife to pay 5k towards the watch?

She is stunning, great buy.

edil

Happy birthday coolin, nice watch

question to all, does a replica of this watch exist :thumbsup2::rofl:

RacingSnake

Very nice. Have a good Birthday!

bme

Bastard............Happy Birthday anyway

pollux1

Fair play to you mate! I love hearing or indeed reading of things like this! :(

wat44

adjustment in 3000? wont you need to adjust it twice a year with daylight savings??

awesome watch BTW!

dano

What a beauty! Congratulations and happy birthday!

Drhulee
adjustment in 3000? wont you need to adjust it twice a year with daylight savings??

awesome watch BTW!

Technically he'd have to adjust it every time he lets it wind down :) Calendar adjustment has to do with date - you only need to set the proper month, day, and year, then all other calendar functions will automatically be set to the proper values for that day.

Oh, and Happy Birthday :)

Member X
How did you get your wife to pay 5k towards the watch?

She is stunning, great buy.

I can't work out whether you're talking about the watch or the wife... :( :giggle:

Dendo

Happy Birthday when it comes and great watch.

In fact stunning watch. So what did you pay - $20K?

Whatever, I think the point I take from it is that you were able to make such a good choice because the reps had taught you a great deal about what you like.

And this is the perfect counter argument to those that think the rep industry is damaging the gen industry - I think because of reps we might be more likely to buy gens, rather than less.

Luthier

How much, how much?????????????????????

Happy B/Day - yes, but even a $10K... for a watch???????

Well... unless you're Bill Gates's bro...

Balad1

Happy for you, Beautiful watch.

PS: Tell your wife she got off easy; when I turned fifty I wanted an Audi TT coupe, lol.

coolin

Thanks for all the nice replies guys ;)

as I said I could never justify the price and will never attempt too but as Dendo said the Reps have taught me a lot and although when I first started collecting them Rolex was my least favourite and Omega's were always on my wrist. But how things change after living with them on your wrist for a while!

Now my fav rep is my Rolex GMT Master 2 I just love it and it was a consideration in my shortlist for a Gen, however the rep is so incredibly accurate and feels like the real thing as do a lot of the reps especially the Omegas so it fell by the wayside.

So why IWC? well I really liked my Big Pilot but the Rep was let down by a number of things and a little big for my wrist and the Portuguese rep just didn't look right after trying the real deal. However after stumbling across the Portuguese perpetual on my travels and trying it on it I knew anything else would be 2nd best in my eyes. Watches are incredibly personal as the saying goes "one mans meat is another mans poison" and in this case it was a big juicy filet of beef. What sealed the deal was researching the movement and being amazed by the complexity with its numerous complications.

If watch movements interest you and you want to see why these type of movements are not Rep'ed just google for more info its fascinating how these are designed and produced. Horology at its best.

to answer Dendo and Luthier "what did I pay" well even though it sounds stupid money it was a bargain in terms of this level of complication. The watch retails at £22k ($35.5k) and all Goldsmiths flagship store in the Metro Centre would discount was £700 ($1100) as they told me IWC shun discounting and they have to disclose there sales on a monthly basis, bullshit maybe? Anyhow I paid £16.5k ($26.5)

Can I justify it? No! so how do I justify it to Friends & Family? again I cant but I tell em all the same crap "unlike the $20k car I buy every 3 years then trade in for $5k my watch will outlive me" in part its true and hopefully my son will enjoy and pass on likewise. Thats what I hope anyway truth is he pobs trade in for a car lol

col

1 more day till I get my watch to wear :)

dingle

congrats to you. A nice timepiece that will stay in your family for generations no doubt. ;)

pollux1
congrats to you. A nice timepiece that will stay in your family for generations no doubt. ;)
+1000000000 on that Ding

trailboss99
so how do I justify it to Friends & Family?

Tell 'em it's a rep! ;)

Stunning watch mate and an incredibly good buy!

May you, your children and your children's children wear it in good health.

Col