Sign in to follow this  
FlyingSpur

RWG Watch

FlyingSpur

In the wrist check section I see an RWG Watch. I read somewhere that RWG has it's own watch. What's the story/history of this watch. Is it still available or was it a one time run?

If still available where do you get one?

deju

:popcorn:

greg_r

There have been two (well, actually three) RWG watches.

The first was produced by/for the original RWG, but the project was badly managed, ended badly and few watches were ever actually sold.

(...and ultimately led to the closure of the board, which is why we're here)

rwgwatch-151212.JPG

The second wasn't actually a board-sponsored project - it was produced by a former member of this place as a way of launching his own micro-brand watch company (he hoped). It was a stunning design (actually designed by one of our moderators, Solkryssare - who was not otherwise involved in the production process), but the project was badly managed, ended badly and few watches were ever actually sold (sound familiar?). It was the stuff of nightmares and I feel a headache coming on just talking about it as whilst the board was not directly involved with the project, we ended up with a real mess to try and sort out when the guy behind the project got his knickers in a twist...

028.jpg

This is the other RWG watch - an engraved PAM homage built for this board's first birthday by JohnG, but there was only ever one of them and it was won by a filthy monkey. This is the one that didn't end badly ;)

rwg1.jpg

The end.

BadPickle

It could have been something really good, but luthier had a hissy-fit with Greg about a non related matter, left the forum and vowed never to return, then deleted his photobucket account so no more pics from him.

splke

filthy monkey ?

it really is a stunning watch though (number 2)

FlyingSpur

Geez...

Well, RWG has a HUGE following... I would think any manufacturer would be happy to fill their order...

greg_r

It could have been something really good, but luthier had a hissy-fit with Greg about a non related matter, left the forum and vowed never to return, then deleted his photobucket account so no more pics from him.

It was already going wrong prior to hissy fit. Honestly, I don't think it would have changed anything had he stayed. Turns out he'd done a similar project with guitars for a guitar forum - that also went badly.

filthy monkey ?

Sconehead

BadPickle

Watch was finished a few years later and offered for sale by Rochest of watchinternational, by which time there was too much bad blood between luthier and the forum, so many members (including myself) pulled out of the purchase...

There's a few knocking about, I actually saw one at my Yorkshire GTG and it's not bad really.

greg_r

Geez... so now that the dust has cleared are they making any more of these watches? Don't care about SN 75 FWIW...

Gawd - I damn well hope not. They won't get sold here, that's for damn sure. He didn't even manage to deliver the ones he had orders for and a number of those he DID deliver were DOA (due to being a much lower spec than originally stated). Hell, even I didn't get one!

These watches would not be "reps" they would be "gens"... which is kinda cool.

Not even remotely resembling cool. Fucking nightmare, yes.

BadPickle

Geez... so now that the dust has cleared are they making any more of these watches? Don't care about SN 75 FWIW...

Gawd - I damn well hope not. They won't get sold here, that's for damn sure. He didn't even manage to deliver the ones he had orders for and a number of those he DID deliver were DOA (due to being a much lower spec than originally stated). Hell, even I didn't get one!

These watches would not be "reps" they would be "gens"... which is kinda cool.

Not even remotely resembling cool. Fucking nightmare, yes.

:lmao:

splke

by Gregs tone I suggest you do not PM him to resurrect the build ;o)

greg_r

:Suicide:

FlyingSpur

Maybe this is too simple but... what about taking the BEST REP build on the market and having them relabel it RWG...

Just a thought...

splke

Maybe this is too simple but... what about taking the BEST REP build on the market and having them relabel it RWG...

Just a thought...

yeah crack on then :)

deju

An RWG watch is a no go....

greg_r

Just a thought...

That's how the original RWG watch was produced - basically a re-dialled Omega Railmaster.

And no - we will not be doing something like that ever again. Ever. Trust me.

markeym3

Holy shit ,,, the RWG watch saga ,,, OMG ....

A lively part of RWG history ... I think I was 189 Black .. :giggle:

elp

7bBZ3vg.gif

deju

Maybe some RWG clasps instead Greg? C'mon be a sport, what could possibly go wrong?

myaz

If still available where do you get one?

The maelstrom caused by the "Luthier" watch created a lot of unnecessary work for an RWG administration that was not directly involved. We will never hear the "best" of it but it likely still gives arrhythmia to ADM at their quarterly staff meetings. It coulda shoulda been a winner. ADM's position is easy to understand but if you disregard the history and take the design at face value, it's good.

300 were supposed to have been made and of these, some were canabalized for parts. When this cratered, Mary Watch ended up with whatever watches got actually made and might have one left stuck away in some drawer. Your next best bet would be someone who's ready to sell theirs.

FlyingSpur

Well, at the risk if being shot... the idea was sound. Sounds like other issues screwed it up... IMO

MetalMickey

It is a smashing looking watch, looks better in real life

FlyingSpur

It is a smashing looking watch, looks better in real life

That's what got my attention... great looking watch.

splke

i would like a black one please