Sign in to follow this  
tesmith2112

Movement Question?

tesmith2112

I was checking out Timeshop's new 41MM DJII's and noticed they're selling three versions of each watch.

1) Asian Clone 2836-2 $158

2) Asian Clone 3156 $228

3) ETA 2836-2 $213

Can someone please explain this price strategy? Is the Clone 3156 a better movement than the ETA 2836-2? Please enlighten me...

http://www.timeshops.net/category.php?n=50...id_category=313

greg_r

No, the 3156 is an attempt to make the movement look like the Rolex movement. It's very unconvincing, covered by a caseback anyhow and tends to be less reliable. I'd avoid it.

Personally I'd tend to go for the basic asian clone out of that lot - Timesshop, like most dealers, do not actually check the movements in every watch and the factories have a nasty tendency to supply the clone even when you've ordered the gen ETA. Therefore, you might as well save yourself some dough.

FWIW the only dealers I would trust to supply a gen swiss movement when that is what is offered are BK and Robert.

tesmith2112
No, the 3156 is an attempt to make the movement look like the Rolex movement. It's very unconvincing, covered by a caseback anyhow and tends to be less reliable. I'd avoid it.

Personally I'd tend to go for the basic asian clone out of that lot - Timesshop, like most dealers, do not actually check the movements in every watch and the factories have a nasty tendency to supply the clone even when you've ordered the gen ETA. Therefore, you might as well save yourself some dough.

FWIW the only dealers I would trust to supply a gen swiss movement when that is what is offered are BK and Robert.

Thank you Greg, very insightful!