Sign in to follow this  
shinjun

Crystal swap on IWC 5007

shinjun

Hey RWG,

anyone knows how difficult it is to swap crystal on the IWC portuguese 7 day? Was thinking about getting an 2xAR from profsteve, but trying to avoid a new journey for the watch to the USA.

cheers,

TRANSPORTER

I'm not to sure if it has a bezel that holds the crystal in place, looking at a picture of said watch I would say remove the movement then see if the ring (bezel) around the crystal is there to hold the crystal in place, if it is then pry that off (I doubt very much that it's threaded) once that is off if its needed to be removed at all, you then press the crystal out from inside the case.

Once out check what crystal gasket it requires, it might be an L shape or an I shape, you can reuse the old gasket as long as you are careful when fitting the new crystal ( personally it's bad practice for me) .

When you have your new crystal you place your old or new gasket in place, replace the rear of the case and sit on a suitable die on your crystal press, offer up the new crystal again with the correct sized die on the press, then gently screw down your press, keep an eye on wether the crystal isn't going in true, you can move the watch case over slightly to put more pressure on the high side of the crystal to even up the pressure and ensuring it seats nice and flat in the case.

Once done give it a good blow with your duster just incase, then replace the movement and case back and away you go job done.

shinjun

I'm not to sure if it has a bezel that holds the crystal in place, looking at a picture of said watch I would say remove the movement then see if the ring (bezel) around the crystal is there to hold the crystal in place, if it is then pry that off (I doubt very much that it's threaded) once that is off if its needed to be removed at all, you then press the crystal out from inside the case.

Once out check what crystal gasket it requires, it might be an L shape or an I shape, you can reuse the old gasket as long as you are careful when fitting the new crystal ( personally it's bad practice for me) .

When you have your new crystal you place your old or new gasket in place, replace the rear of the case and sit on a suitable die on your crystal press, offer up the new crystal again with the correct sized die on the press, then gently screw down your press, keep an eye on wether the crystal isn't going in true, you can move the watch case over slightly to put more pressure on the high side of the crystal to even up the pressure and ensuring it seats nice and flat in the case.

Once done give it a good blow with your duster just incase, then replace the movement and case back and away you go job done.

Thank you very much !