Sign in to follow this  
edwelly

Questions about buying first watch

edwelly

Hello all. So I am interested in buying my first rep watch maybe even today. I am really interested in the Tag Heuer Golf edition and a nice Panerai watch. Here are a few questions I have:

1. In looking at the Tag Heuer Golf, one trusted site has is for $100 less. Any idea what the difference might be in one being $138 and the other being $238?

2. How good is a Manual mechanical 6497 movement?

3. Is there a particular ‘movement’ I want to avoid?

4. Is it common for these watches to have to be wound?

5. Is there a benefit by buying a watch from jacksontse vs. a Panerai rep?

I plan on getting at least 2 rep watches but one these will be a daily watch – maybe wear it 4-5 days a week so I need something that is going to work well and hold up.

Thanks for all of your help.

Erik

greg_r

1. Hard to tell you exactly without seeing links to both item, but the more expensive one will, at the very least, have a superior movement.

2. The 6497 is about the most reliable mechanical movement found in reps. Damn near bomb-proof

3. Avoid A7750s with the seconds subdial at either 6 or 12. The ones with secs @ 9 are okay.

4. You should need to hand-wind autos. Normal movement should keep them wound. Hand-winds such as the 6497 will, of course, have to be wound. Power reserve is usually a couple of days though

5. Depends on whether you want a rep or a homage. Jackson sells some great homages (i.e. no manufacturer's name on the dial) that compare well to most cheaper reps. Reps costing $200 and up will normally be significantly better quality, however.

FWIW I wear my reps daily. Admittedly I have quite a few these days, but I wore the same Rolex day/date rep for 5 or 6 years without problems. A decent quality rep should last the same length of time as a gen with the equivalent movement provided you get 'em serviced periodically.

jameo210369

Hi edwelly, as above, can you provide links to the pages of the watches that you are interested in and we can look at them for you. Rep's are generally the same as everything else in life you get what you pay for, please only use dealers that are linked to the site or that members on the forum have put you in touch with. Good luck

prestigewatchco

They are all the same watch so buy from cheapest place. They are Swiss but if you can find a Japanese movement watch cheaper no point in paying for a Swiss quartz chances are it's made for the company in Asia anyway