Sign in to follow this  
AJB2

Prices going up??

AJB2

Morning All

Is it just me or do the prices for new rep releases seem to be creeping up.

Last year they seemed to be around the $350 dollar mark now they seem to be around $390-$420 some even as high as $700+

Thoughts please?

RussP

This issue has been raised time and again on this forum.

In short, yes, pricing are creeping up, but so is the quality of some reps.

Your knowledge, relationship with the TD and common sense will all come into play to ensure that you aren't paying too much.

Good Luck !!

Lagger

Not just creeping up mate, they are getting unaffordable to a lot of people, turning this hobby into an expensive past time.

With custom movements creeping in, and an all round lack of servicing support, before you would have binned a watch now when you have $450 with postage in a 'Chinese sweat shop' replica it's a big hit..........I buy a lot less these days, I'm happy with my collection, but would love to try a carbon ap diver, before I'd buy one and move it on if i didn't like it, but the cost of them is hard to budget in.

markeym3

Yeah I agree the cost rise is a pain ,

yeah sure they are better with "noob v20" round the corner ect but as many on here point out there are very decent gens around for not alot of dosh.

Ieyasu1

I am new to this but I must agree that the prices are a bit prohibitive on some models. I would have loved to get my hands on at least 5 models, but I can only afford one at a time at this time without being iresponsible with my finances.

stormtooper4

Compounded further by the FX rate for the AUS$ mean's most of teh ones I want are way out of reach these days

Cubic Hare

Is it the part suppliers, the factories or the middlemen (TD's) initiating this increase?

Cheers

Xpletiv

So, as they go up then more and more are not able to afford, therefore, less and less are sold........hmmmmmm....

vinnychase1

Also, I feel they see a lot of people are sending watches out for modding and adjustments. Some will almost pay the price of the watch for a mod. I'm sure TD's see this trend and realize they are loosing out and can charge more due to people willing to spend money on a hobby.

black263

Are we getting to the point where we will be buying from DH gate to try out the watch before splashing out on a real rep?

niceandcivilized

It's been crazy to see this hobby evolve just over the past few years. Models come and go. Websites get shut down. Prices have gone up every year.

But haven't they gone up on everything else as well?

I'm still in it. There are still fantastic deals to be had. Haven't tried DHgate however...

AJB2

Are we getting to the point where we will be buying from DH gate to try out the watch before splashing out on a real rep?

Being honest...I've just done that exact same thing...

BadPickle

I'm just waiting for the day when the gen is actually cheaper than the rep :yoohoo: with all the talk from the RWI refugees that's been going on here, some of those guys are actually making rep parts which are actually BETTER than the actual gen!! :wtf:

You can't make this shit up, it's true I tell you!! They actually have actual proof! :wtf:

Ieyasu1

I am tempted as well to be honest.

AJB2

It's been crazy to see this hobby evolve just over the past few years. Models come and go. Websites get shut down. Prices have gone up every year.

I'm still in it. There are still fantastic deals to be had. Haven't tried DHgate however...

Paying $400-$700 for a rep though without any warranty does sound pretty daft to a sane man...You really can get old or vintage gens if you look hard enough for that sort of money.

AJB2

I've just paid $90 for a Rolex Deepsea including box, papers & delivery...It has the DG2813 movement...let's see what turn up.

Retina

Up - yes. Quality better? Marginally, not all.

Ieyasu1

Paying $400-$700 for a rep though without any warranty does sound pretty daft to a sane man...You really can get old or vintage gens if you look hard enough for that sort of money.

I've just paid $90 for a Rolex Deepsea including box, papers & delivery...It has the DG2813 movement...let's see what turn up.

Exactly what I thought when I saw a Patek at $700 today. I mean, I understand it's made with quality steel, precision craftsmanship and movement and such but it's a bit too much for me to shell out for a rep. Perhaps I am too new to appreciate it enough, but I am actuallly already amazed with reps right now and yet still find those prices a bit hard to digest.

Do let us know, I am interested to read your observations. I saw a thread here that posted an Aquaracer from DH Gate and to my untrained eye it looked pretty nice. I am really tempted to go for that one.

Edited by Ieyasu1

AJB2

Exactly what I thought when I saw a Patek at $700 today. I mean, I understand it's made with quality steel, precision craftsmanship and movement and such but it's a bit too much for me to shell out for a rep. Perhaps I am too new to appreciate it enough, but I am actuallly already amazed with reps right now and yet still find those prices a bit hard to digest.

Do let us know, I am interested to read your observations. I saw a thread here that posted an Aquaracer from DH Gate and to my untrained eye it looked pretty nice. I am really tempted to go for that one.

I'm pretty new too & yes, as soon as I get it I'll let you know. Again, for the untrained eye I'm not bothered about 28,000 or 21,600 beats...I just want something smart that, if I break it, I wont cry. As I said somewhere else, I bought a high end rep in Jan for $400 posted & it's had to go back as it broke within a week.

Foxindebox

What hasn't been touched on in this thread is that whilst it is our hobby, the manufacture and trade of these watches is illegal. Unfortunately, given the short-termism that must play a part (make hay whilst the sun shines), people will always look to maximise potential profit before any clamp-downs etc affect their ability to do business... There is quite obviously a space in the market for these high priced reps as people are paying the prices asked. I'm sure reasonable pricing can, and may well be sorted by our TD'S on a small level. But remember, this is a hobby to us and a lively hood to them.

At the end of the day, if someone offered you a chance to earn more (in very precarious profession), you would, wouldn't you?...

Thommo82

Have just been looking through DH Gate, heaps of reps, dirt cheap, free shipping

However the dials are clean with no branding

Is this done just for the website?

I'm guessing they have been photoshopped off due to copyright

My question is, has anyone purchased one, and if so did it have branding on the dial?

Lagger
Have just been looking through DH Gate, heaps of reps, dirt cheap, free shipping

My question is, has anyone purchased one, and if so did it have branding on the dial?

Yes they come with branding on, you can ask seller first to confirm

Thommo82

Cool, think I'll order something to see how the quality fairs with that of our TD's

AJB2

Cool, think I'll order something to see how the quality fairs with that of our TD's

Message the seller for some more pictures...They usually then send them with the branding on...

Mr Stubbs

Message the seller for some more pictures...They usually then send them with the branding on...

One seller's watches all showed 'STRAPSA' as the logo. I asked for more pics and he simply replied; 'ROLEX'.

Took a punt and sure enough it was ROLEX. :D