Sign in to follow this  
AJB2

Prices going up??

Katariat

makes sense and i think thats where the TD's play a role if you want to minimize a bit of risk or venture with unknown sellers on dh/ other sites. I was also tempted to see if i could find some one directly out of thailand/ malaysia. One of my friends got me an omeaga seamaster and i think i just paid $75. When i found this forum, i was a bit surprised that the reps were this expensive but after reading i do feel there is a quality difference but i dont think the quality is 4x though

black263

makes sense and i think thats where the TD's play a role if you want to minimize a bit of risk or venture with unknown sellers on dh/ other sites. I was also tempted to see if i could find some one directly out of thailand/ malaysia. One of my friends got me an omeaga seamaster and i think i just paid $75. When i found this forum, i was a bit surprised that the reps were this expensive but after reading i do feel there is a quality difference but i dont think the quality is 4x though

Narikaa provides reps from Thailand. He's a TD here, and although based in UK travels regularly to Thailand to select the watches he then sells. You'll find his details in the TD list. And as far as price is concerned, his famed Regmariner is without doubt the best bang-for-buck on the market. The quality TD watches are definitely better, but I agree that they're not 3-4 times better. It's a game of diminishing returns. A lot more money will get you a little improvement. And the closer you get to gen, the more the cost for an additional percent or two in accuracy.

Nhrob

More thoughts on WHY i think 400 USD is the limit after which the rep dealers will see a noticable decline.... aside from the reasons i cited in my previous post, when you cross that price point of 400, people start thinking 500 bucks. 500 bucks can buy you some really nice new or lightly used 2nd hand gens, AND in most peoples minds, it's 1/2 of a thousand bucks, which put you in striking range of some really, really nice gens, or even better slightly used models. So, in my mind at least, I'm not going shell out that much on a rep.

For example, I've been eyeballing a Patek Aquanaut with the SWS 200 movement at $528, and I cannot, or i won't pull the trigger.

I don't want the Miyota version, I want the SWS 200 version. So, I've decided, i will go without. I've spent up to 425 on a stock rep... platinum ice blue Daytona with diamond baguette hour markers, and i won't do it again. What has happened to me is two things as a result of these rep prices. I am now scouring the internet for a couple of gen Sinn Divers that i like and i have made a couple of 110$ purchases off DHGATE on a Tag and an Omega. Waiting on delivery. So, my dollars are moving elsewhere. I've made a habit of buying quite a few 350-400 dollar watches, and have pretty much got my must have items. So, moving forward, a watch has to look pretty fucking special to me, for me to spend that much on it. As much as i want that Aquanaut, at anything over four hundred, i'm just not going to do it!

What's your limit and your reasoning behind it?