Sign in to follow this  
Mb12

Quality comparison between cheap genuine and "expensive" rep

Mb12

Hi there peeps, I am a new member and I have a few questions on the quality of some of the more expensive rep watches that are available from TD's.

I am currently looking at this gen: https://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T0636173603700-Tradition-Analog-Display/dp/B00822V16K/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1491311725&sr=8-8&keywords=tissot+tradition

or this rep: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=121697&st=0

Will anyone be able to compare these two, or just in general?

Wriggles

You realise they are completely and utterly different watches...

Monkey_Business

That's not an expensive rep

The Tissot is quartz

Can you compare my VW Passat with my pedal powered bike?

elp

Easy. One's a gen quartz backed by Amazon, the other is a rep manual handwind built in a dingy warehouse in China.

Like comparing a woman with a blow-up doll, each will have pros and cons .... :)

JSJ

Take the Tissot and run while you still have money.

The Tissot is unlikely to entice you into the world of watches. It's just a boring quartz. Which is fine for telling the time but then again, so is your smartphone.

The ST19, on the other hand, is a delightful column wheel chronograph with a life and soul.

As for the blow up doll, which is it supposed to be? I suppose it must be the Tissot.

BadApple

Someone is on wacky baccy here? Stick to your Timex mate.

Mb12

I do realise, yes.

The Tissot is quartz

Expensive is a relative term, which is why I put it in parenthases. I am a student and for me it is indeed expensive. Also, as far as I have seen, this is one of the more expensive Speedies available.

Give me enough data and I can compare apples to oranges ;)

Easy. One's a gen quartz backed by Amazon, the other is a rep manual handwind built in a dingy warehouse in China.

Like comparing a woman with a blow-up doll, each will have pros and cons .... :)

The point is not comparing the movement(or lack thereof) but which watch will be the best value for money.

The Tissot is unlikely to entice you into the world of watches. It's just a boring quartz. Which is fine for telling the time but then again, so is your smartphone.

The ST19, on the other hand, is a delightful column wheel chronograph with a life and soul.

As for the blow up doll, which is it supposed to be? I suppose it must be the Tissot.

This comment makes me excited and positive for this thread. I know the quartz is a boring piece, but so far I haven't found anything that I like for under that price, especially not anything with any noteworthy movement. Anyway, I want to be enticed into the world of watches, with this being the first time I've made a move into it.

Thanks for your input. /s

This is supposed to be the no flame section of the forum, and so far it hasn't exactly been an example of that. The question is not posed at which watch is the better timepiece, this is obvious. For someone who is price concious, spending $300 on a replica watch that might give up the ghost in a few months, or a decade is an important factor to take into consideration. I know the Tissot isn't much better in that respect with them also dying left and right, but at least I know there is a 24 month warranty(as opposed to 12 month) and the QC in the factory will be much more thorough for the Tissot.

I am living in South Africa, which means almost everything has a hyper-inflated price. That little shoddy quartz Tissot costs the equivalent of $660 if bought here, and one of the few watches available in SA that I actually like and might be able to afford. Seeing this Speedy, and knowing I could have it for less than that makes me very excited.

NCRich

I do realise, yes.

The Tissot is quartz

Expensive is a relative term, which is why I put it in parenthases. I am a student and for me it is indeed expensive. Also, as far as I have seen, this is one of the more expensive Speedies available.

Give me enough data and I can compare apples to oranges ;)

The point is not comparing the movement(or lack thereof) but which watch will be the best value for money.

This comment makes me excited and positive for this thread. I know the quartz is a boring piece, but so far I haven't found anything that I like for under that price, especially not anything with any noteworthy movement. Anyway, I want to be enticed into the world of watches, with this being the first time I've made a move into it.

Thanks for your input. /s

This is supposed to be the no flame section of the forum, and so far it hasn't exactly been an example of that. The question is not posed at which watch is the better timepiece, this is obvious. For someone who is price concious, spending $300 on a replica watch that might give up the ghost in a few months, or a decade is an important factor to take into consideration. I know the Tissot isn't much better in that respect with them also dying left and right, but at least I know there is a 24 month warranty(as opposed to 12 month) and the QC in the factory will be much more thorough for the Tissot.

I am living in South Africa, which means almost everything has a hyper-inflated price. That little shoddy quartz Tissot costs the equivalent of $660 if bought here, and one of the few watches available in SA that I actually like and might be able to afford. Seeing this Speedy, and knowing I could have it for less than that makes me very excited.

Any money you spend on a rep should be play money. If you need a reliable watch that will last for years and take a beating get the Tissot. Everyone talks about how wonderful that handwind ST19 is but I've had 8 of them and 3 have had significant issues. I knew enough (eventually) to fix them but you are not in that place. Get the Tissot.

Mb12

...Everyone talks about how wonderful that handwind ST19 is but I've had 8 of them and 3 have had significant issues...

This is the rubber meets the road type of answer I'm looking for. Thank you.

Moondustesp

Get the Tissot and never comeback! Your wallet will thank me! ;)

MetalMickey

I know which I'd rather have...

Actor - producer Roger Mayer bangs Blonde Betty in SHOCK.jpg

Rx4Time

Kind of no correct answer. If you want reliability, the quartz is the way to go. If you want a sharp looking watch that, the speedmaster is the way to go. Remember, it's a mechanical movement, so there is more potential for issue. I personally would go for the rep, but if you cannot accept the potential cost of repair, then stick with the quartz. The st-19 movement is usually a solid movement.

elp

Too different, too many factors. At the end of the day, if money is an issue, go for the Tissot. You'll have a warranty, and the reliability of quartz.

Remember, low temperature wash and no spin cycle.

BadPickle

I know which I have.

Actor - producer Roger Mayer bangs Blonde Betty in SHOCK.jpg

FIXED ;)

Daywatch

Personally I´d go with the speedy - because of the smooth moving seconds hand. There are dozens of quartz reps on the other hand and if rightly chosen (looks) the function is equally reliable. Lots of rep quartz microsteppers too which would be a favourite option if not going for an automatic diver (Tudor Blackbay). For a student on avudget venturing into watches: Seiko 5 Sports, Citizen NY 40; Seiko SKX007 or 009 from Creation Watches would be the best value for money option;

Subjective as things are, 4me 90% of the reps are "better" compared to the (relatively expensive) gen Tissot

DSC_3150_zpsc5awkpw3.jpg

Seiko SKX

DSC_6864si_zpsexy6uyu3.jpg

Rep Tudor

IMG_7327_zps3zditcnu.jpg

cheap quartz microstepper from Kuvarsit

DSC_4523v_zpsegopgvfa.jpg

Mb12

/snip

Wow, thanks for your detailed reply, I'll take a look at those watches!

Nikosaldente

Actor%20-%20producer%20Roger%20Mayer%20bangs%20Blonde%20Betty%20in%20SHOCK.jpg

If that is the Tissot, this is the Speedy:

Realistic-Sex-Dolls.jpg

It's not a real girl!

It's a replica of a real girl!

Moondustesp

????????????????????

NCRich

Real Dolls give me the willys.

elp

Real Dolls give me the willys.

You bought the wrong model. What's the returns policy?

nuttcrac69

@OP

Being a fellow South African I can surely relate to the financial dilemma that we face when purchasing luxury items due to the state that our currency is in as well as import duties that can be prohibitive.

I also understand that a watch lover has certain needs that has to be fulfilled and this is hard as we all, to varying degrees, have financial restraints that shape our purchasing decisions.

I personally would suggest looking at something like a Tissot Visodate. I know it is not a chrono, but for a student it is perfect. It is a watch from a well known and established brand, with an utterly reliable automatic movement. It can be worn in casual as well as formal settings and it has all you really need on a daily basis (time & date). And most importantly it is not a quartz :lol:

No Speedy rep other than some quartz models looks anywhere close to the real thing.

My suggestion is start with something reliable such as the Visodate or one of the other great entry level watches mentioned and as your finances allow you can start experimenting, knowing that you have a solid watch to fall back on.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by nuttcrac69

JSJ

@OP believe me, this thread has not seen flaming.

Actually there has been some reasonable discussion. I hope you find a way to buy a decent mechanical watch.

Mb12
@OP believe me, this thread has not seen flaming.

Actually there has been some reasonable discussion. I hope you find a way to buy a decent mechanical watch.

Fortunately it did pick up some steam, and I did learn a few things. I am looking at a few options mentioned and still considering the Speedy. I am studying Mechanical Engineering so these watches are very fascinating and I hope I can start my way in this hobby as well.

Monkey_Business

After some time on here, you develop a sense of what kind of threads will pick up flame. I've had a few goes at it myself :)

I have the speedy, but I ordered it from Toro. I quite like it - The ST19 is robust as f***. And, I love the feeling of actually having to wind it, as contrary to automatic watches which is pretty much self-maintaining. Check my thread (signature) for pictures / and my thoughts on it. It's great - And you'll love it way more than the Tissot.

However, I fear for your personal economy for the next calendar year.

I'm out 1600$ after a good years run.