Sign in to follow this  
Ray

21j auto vs Japan OS quarts

Ray

Hi all, looking for help on sub $100 watches. Question, at this price range which would you go for, quarts or the 21j auto? (Breitling or Rolex)

Cynikal.Mindset

if you want a cheap chrono watch with working sub dials and chrono function go with quartz (more than likely chinese quartz) and if you just want a plain style watch with date and no other complications then 21j auto is fine...many nice watches available for under or around $100.

Del

If you are only looking at Rolex or Breitling then your choice of quartz is extremely limited - I only know of a Daytona quartz sold by Timesshop for about $70 and the B01 Chronomat quartz sold by PrestigeWatchCo for $99 but there may be others.

However, there are many very good quality 21j watches - browse through the Trusted Dealer sections and their websites (if applicable) and you will see a good choice. TS especially have 21j Subs at great prices.

Member X

Good advice :picard2:

Cynikal.Mindset

Del, there are also quartz chrono avengers, skylands/blacksteel etc in the breitling lineup.

Del
Del, there are also quartz chrono avengers, skylands/blacksteel etc in the breitling lineup.

Very good Cynikal - I haven't searched much for quartz Breitlings so this is potentially more good news for the OP :lol:.

Many of the cheaper quartz are not great quality though so "care you must take" ;)

bme

When it comes to quartz chronos I'd recommend taking a look at Robert's recently advertised Planet Oceans.

Ray

Many thanks to all you guys for the feed back.

The reason I asked the question is my son has seen a Breitling B-2 on the TS site for $88 with a Japan OS quarts movement (not available with a 21j auto)

is the Japan OS quarts seen as good or bad?

Thanks for the warning Del re quarts watches, am trying to take "care".

Cynikal.Mindset

japan quartz is fine...its what beats in the heart of casio, timex etc that B-2 is some kind of fantasy watch though but it does look rather cool.

JohnG

I don't mind a quartz movement, I never pretend my reps are gen, don't care if people know in fact I tell anyone who will listen. HOWEVER, a quartz is the easiest giveaway to anyone who knows the first thing about mechanical watches.

I have a quartz Oris homage and a quartz IWC Aquatimer rep - love them both and wear them a lot.

Ray

And those casio,s and timex watches last for ever. Thanks for the info Cynikal.

Del
Thanks for the warning Del re quarts watches, am trying to take "care".

Maybe I should clarify that I was referring to the quality of the watch overall, not specifically the quartz movement (which are generally very reliable and accurate). However, some quartz versions do not use the same cases, bracelets or crystals than their automatic equivalent - that was all I was really saying. However, there are some fantastic quartz versions now appearing - PrestigeWatchCo had some great quartz PAMS, APs and Breitlings recently.

Good luck in your search :) (and if you want a second, third or sixteenth opinion then post up the link ;))

pollux1

Go to $150 and get PWC's DSSD 21jewel. An outstanding rep for little money.

histog

OOOps sorry just noticed the chrono bit :)

but at that price buy one anyway :popcorn: