Sign in to follow this  
jameo210369

collector or watchsmith ?????

jameo210369

Right guys, How many off us are watch collectors or watchsmith's.

Watch collector: someone who just collects watches but doesn't want to take them apart, they will only change a strap or battery if required.

Watchsmith: A pure watch hound, someone who just loves to get into the back of the watch and have a good look around the movement and isn't afraid to make mods.

Please feel free to provide as much detail as possible, jump in guys and provide constructive replies; I would like to know the level of posters on the forum.

I am a watch collector, I would to have the confidence to take th movement out and make mods etc but I know my level.

Sorry about the avatar, I can't get her to start licking.

JohnG
Right guys, How many off us are watch collectors or watchsmith's.

Watch collector: someone who just collects watches but doesn't want to take them apart, they will only change a strap or battery if required.

Watchsmith: A pure watch hound, someone who just loves to get into the back of the watch and have a good look around the movement and isn't afraid to make mods.

Please feel free to provide as much detail as possible, jump in guys and provide constructive replies; I would like to know the level of posters on the forum.

I am a watch collector, I would to have the confidence to take th movement out and make mods etc but I know my level.

Sorry about the avatar, I can't get her to start licking.

Fakey is a WATCH EXPERT!!! :)

jameo210369

And so it begins

oscarmadfish

collector

onzenuub

postwhore

jameo210369

Why is it no one ever takes a general interest thread seriously??

onzenuub

I did and answered serious.

sconehead

Done some modding, currently got a 2836 half rebuilt after servicing it (need PML grease but can't buy it in the U.K. and not willing to pay Ofrei's extortionate shipping!)...still learning though...

thwhitedoglickinganimat.gif

Just copied Johns original 'licky' pic (right click, save to, my pictures) went to image shack, uploaded it, copied and pasted 'Hotlink for forums 1' and here it is...

AllergyDoc

Collector only.

Only mod I've done is replace a bezel insert. Does regluing an hour marker count as a mod?

I can also do minor cosmetic stuff like treat the steel bracelets with bike lube. Big whoop.

I tried to fix my Invicta 9937. The date was flipping over when I would try to screw the crown down. I managed to get the crown stem out but now it won't go back in. :Hmmmph:

bene3

I'm just a collector. I have never had any confidence to carry out any mods.

Luthier

Collector only. For now. I'm planning to retire in a few years, then will dissect a few reps and study the guts. Now I just have no time.

Next trip to GZ plan - will buy as many watchsmith's tools as possible. Let'em wait for my retirement. Didn't do any mods, just glued back an hour stick on my DD, and did it well. Surprisingly fast found how to pull out the crown from 21J, and took mov't out from case, then assembled everything back. Would like to buy some literature about watchsmithing, any advices? I already feel I'll love to do it, and, as you know, I have good hands, well trained. It's a magic World of watches...

JoeyB

I tried once to replace a movement. The results? I'm a Collector. Like Allergy Doc, I do the little things, but that's all. 

alphakazi

watch smith wanabe - I replace all my friends and family's watch batteries :rolleyes:

have changed movements - replaced crystals but no repairs on a movement - after buying many tools, the hobby kinda faded for me

sconehead
Collector only. For now. I'm planning to retire in a few years, then will dissect a few reps and study the guts. Now I just have no time.

Next trip to GZ plan - will buy as many watchsmith's tools as possible. Let'em wait for my retirement. Didn't do any mods, just glued back an hour stick on my DD, and did it well. Surprisingly fast found how to pull out the crown from 21J, and took mov't out from case, then assembled everything back. Would like to buy some literature about watchsmithing, any advices? I already feel I'll love to do it, and, as you know, I have good hands, well trained. It's a magic World of watches...

The TZ courses are well worth the dough, I think you can still buy it cheap through RWI Luthier...

greg_r

Collector. Every now and then I get the urge to change a dial or whatever, but I just don't have the time for my existing hobbies, let alone starting a new one... :rolleyes:

jameo210369

Now that is interesting, at least we have a general idea of where we are up to with our addiction.

sconehead

Still no luck with the 'licky' avatar Jameo?

trailboss99

Time Zone is the way to go if you want to learn. I'ts a great course, easy to understand. The advantage of grting it off TZ thenselve (Level one is still only 50 bucks or so from memory) is that you also get unlimited email help from an instructor when you get stuck. Either way it's a great course. I think it got pulled from RWI after someone pointed out it was a bit unfair to TZ.

Col.

Luthier
Time Zone is the way to go if you want to learn. I'ts a great course, easy to understand. The advantage of grting it off TZ thenselve (Level one is still only 50 bucks or so from memory) is that you also get unlimited email help from an instructor when you get stuck. Either way it's a great course. I think it got pulled from RWI after someone pointed out it was a bit unfair to TZ.

Col.

What is TZ??????????

greg_r

Col.

What is TZ??????????

As Col said earlier in the post: TimeZone. http://www.timezone.com/

JohnG
271536144_189f62cb9a_o.jpg

KBH

Definitely not a watch smith but I think I'm starting to become fairly competent at modding some of the easier stuff. Several pretty decent CG mods. Just like doing body work on a car but smaller. I used to be into restoring old cars for a while.

I've changed a couple of movements. Built a couple of frankens from scratch.

Deepest I've been into the guts is changing datewheels, and one successful fix of keyless works. That's as far into a movement as I'll ever get. Too shakey for the real small stuff.

And definitely a collector. I've got way too many that I'll never wear.

jameo210369

Come on guys, we have more guys on this forum who havn't posted yet.

onzenuub
Come on guys, we have more guys on this forum who havn't posted yet.

Because they don't post, you will not notice what the opinions will be.

mcloud

I am not dissimilar to the majority - a tinkerer, i.e. a collector with aspirations (no choice given the sometimes dodgy quality of the merchandise). Have resized loads of bracelets, regulated quite a few and removed the movement on a Sub to stick on an hour marker. Have also replaced the bezel inserts on two watches as the pearls have a habit of disappearing during a game of golf :lol: