Sign in to follow this  
jameo210369

collector or watchsmith ?????

RolexAddict

I am not a watch collector

I am not exactly a watchsmith, I never learn this, I learn to take a part and tweak guns and I notice the watches are exactly on the same way. The mix of cosmetic and techno. Lot of American gunsmithes were watchsmithes before or opposite.

When you have guns and love them, you start to change the plastic grip panels for a nice checkered cocobolo red wood. Then, you go further, you polish screws or little parts, make TT guns (SS frame and blued slide), then you continue by looking on mechanisms etc... At the end you convert a semi-auto carbine in a full-auto...

Exactly the same with watches: you start changing the strap, then a insert, then you polish cases, the you open the case back.... then you start with flying-springs-on-your-nose, then you understand you need tho buy tools, and so....

Now, I have a lot of stripped watches arround, and try to find a interesting thing to experiment, like waterproofing, mixing parts, may be create a new model.

The only watches I "collect" are rep vintage Rolex GMT and Daytona and I will may be start with old subs explorer, Airmen and DJ. As I want them very close to the gens I often need 2 watches + various generic parts to pull out 1 good model. And as I find every days new sources for dials, hands, bezel etc. I am never finished.

My short term projects, means from now till end 2009:

-Get more vintage Daytona. I have also a 18k gold plating project with a Paul Newman dial and black croco strap

-Continue to mod vintage GMT

-Start with vintage Subs

-Try to produce a Sub or GMT with a olive drap color case and a desert tan NATO band. For the case finish I will use Cera-Kote backing lacker like used for guns. The watch will be called "Safari" or "Special Ops" or "Battle Field" or "Commando". Just another crazy project

alphakazi
At the end you convert a semi-auto carbine in a full-auto...
:lol::lol: sounds like fun - another hobby I'd like putting time I don't have into

if you're NOT in the watch maker class, I'm not sure anyone here is