Sign in to follow this  
Piccolo

Tudor & David Beckham...

Del

And who is David Beckham and why do I give a shit what he thinks about watches? :rolleyes:

Like him or loathe him, he is one of the most recognisable people on the planet. Smart move by Tudor IMO.

Thelittleprince

And who is David Beckham and why do I give a shit what he thinks about watches? :rolleyes:

Like him or loathe him, he is one of the most recognisable people on the planet. Smart move by Tudor IMO.

+1 Million

Thelittleprince

Is it constipation?... or is that the look you get when Rolex approaches you about being the face for one of their marketing campaigns and you later find out it's Tudor instead?

The look of thinking "damn that fine print"!

Or "Fuck Me, you're not gonna give me a free Rolex?"

Same could be said why we should give a shit about what *Diver Dave* Thinks about watches :lol:

Diver Dave

Nobody here I know has ever heard of him. Dunno how well he'll do as a sales-shill here as a result.

Maybe the advert campaign is only a European one.....

Diver Dave

Is it constipation?... or is that the look you get when Rolex approaches you about being the face for one of their marketing campaigns and you later find out it's Tudor instead?

The look of thinking "damn that fine print"!

Or "Fuck Me, you're not gonna give me a free Rolex?"

Same could be said why we should give a shit about what *Diver Dave* Thinks about watches :lol:

Maybe, but at least I'll have fun asking and answering questions here.

Good luck getting Beckham to participate in the forums! ;-)

Wriggles

Nobody here I know has ever heard of him. Dunno how well he'll do as a sales-shill here as a result.

Exactly which neighbourhood under the rock is it that you live? :)

I'm not a fan, I always felt he was a little overrated, but Beckham is basically a brand all unto himself, never mind being used to promote other brands.

He spent five or six years signed up to LA Galaxy in the MLS, during which time, by simple association they made I think record revenues off the back of shirt sales and season passes, all instigated by the signing of Beckham.

This, in a country, where saawwkker is somewhat of a minority sport in terms of viewership (although quite high in participation), listed as the fifth most popular sport behind football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey.

I think you'll find association with Beckham will bring a lot more exposure for Tudor, even across the pond.

Del

Exactly which neighbourhood under the rock is it that you live? :)

I'm not a fan, I always felt he was a little overrated, but Beckham is basically a brand all unto himself, never mind being used to promote other brands.

He spent five or six years signed up to LA Galaxy in the MLS, during which time, by simple association they made I think record revenues off the back of shirt sales and season passes, all instigated by the signing of Beckham.

This, in a country, where saawwkker is somewhat of a minority sport in terms of viewership (although quite high in participation), listed as the fifth most popular sport behind football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey.

I think you'll find association with Beckham will bring a lot more exposure for Tudor, even across the pond.

Absolutely. Diver Dave is so far up his own arse that he can literally only see shit.

As well as football (and saawwkker!), and being married to an almost equally famous ex-Spice Girl, he was an ambadassor for the London 2012 Olympics and was instrumental in securing those games, not to mention carrying the torch and starring in the opening ceremony.

There is no doubt, he is massively well-known, respected and recognisable.

Piccolo

His partnership with clothing store H&M is said to have grossed over $100 million a year since it was launched... Pretty sure Tudor will be doing ok out of having him as an ambassador.

Piccolo

He's also massively well known in Asia - so do Tudor care if a couple Americans living somewhere strange don't know who he is..?

Chiquita Fanjita

Sure he was an ambassador for Breitling as well not so long ago. He's also been seen wearing many Rolex and a rare Patek, along with some horrendous Jacobs & Co things.

Piccolo

Sure he was an ambassador for Breitling as well not so long ago. He's also been seen wearing many Rolex and a rare Patek, along with some horrendous Jacobs & Co things.

Tudor/Breitling 'partnership' mentioned here...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabethdoerr/2017/05/30/tudor-announces-david-beckham-as-brand-ambassador-another-instance-of-sharing-with-breitling/#4dac610612b9

Diver Dave

Absolutely. Diver Dave is so far up his own arse that he can literally only see shit.

Essentially unknown here in HRH's Rebellious Colonies, amongst the Colonials. I bet I could go poll 100 people on the street before finding one person who recognizes the name. We simply don't have what you (amusingly) call "Football" on our radar screen as a sport. Proper football is a group of large and dangerous looking black men scrabbling on their bellies fighting over a pointed bit of pig-leather. We don't recognize the other sport which we call "Soccer" except to note that recent immigrants from Latin America and sometimes Poland are seen playing it in the park. We do have a very nice cricket field here though, populated almost entirely by South African expats along with Indians and Pakistani players. Not an Englishman to be seen.

Seriously, Beckham is nearly unknown here. It's not a sport followed here by anyone not a recent immigrant. And I mean that most sincerely. Immigrant communities here follow soccer. Old settlers do not. No more than you follow our Basketball. Recognize the name Larry Bird?

Edited by Diver Dave

Wriggles

Larry Bird. Famous Celtics basketball player. Yup.

I think you'll find outside the US people are a lot more aware of what goes on outside their own borders.

As to your views of soccer in the US, I think you'll find it's ill-informed. Soccer is not just an "immigrants" sport, the uptake in the US is accelerating hugely

you may also like to check the origins of your "football". There's very little foot involved in it, so actually Soccer as you refer to it as, being almost solely played with the foot has the more valid and accurate reason to be called football. It's your "football" which is absurd, and is a bastardisation of the ancient sport of Rugby

dfq23

Essentially unknown here in HRH's Rebellious Colonies, amongst the Colonials. I bet I could go poll 100 people on the street before finding one person who recognizes the name. We simply don't have what you (amusingly) call "Football" on our radar screen as a sport. Proper football is a group of large and dangerous looking black men scrabbling on their bellies fighting over a pointed bit of pig-leather. We don't recognize the other sport which we call "Soccer" except to note that recent immigrants from Latin America and sometimes Poland are seen playing it in the park. We do have a very nice cricket field here though, populated almost entirely by South African expats along with Indians and Pakistani players. Not an Englishman to be seen.

Seriously, Beckham is nearly unknown here. It's not a sport followed here by anyone not a recent immigrant. And I mean that most sincerely. Immigrant communities here follow soccer. Old settlers do not. No more than you follow our Basketball. Recognize the name Larry Bird?

Even an old granny knew who he is

Edited by dfq23

dfq23

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball#Origins

Baseball was invented by us (first ever mention of "baseball" was in 1744 in a British publication with a picture)

https://en.wikipedia...etball#Creation

And Basketball was first played by septics with a...... soccer ball...

So the proper OG settlers played soccer and the Johnny Come-Latelys had to invent new sports as they weren't good enough at the ones everyone else in the world plays like FOOTBALL, rugby (American Football for men) and Cricket or only any good at the ones we stopped playing because they were boring as hell and really just glorified rounders!!

Hockey is okay, but that's Canadian

Edited by dfq23

RUSH2112

Dave is completely wrong on this. Even the people who don't know him as the football star know him as the husband of the spice girl. MLS has actually grown substantially and the sport is well known.

Diver Dave

https://en.wikipedia...aseball#Origins

Baseball was invented by us (first ever mention of "baseball" was in 1744 in a British publication with a picture)

So the proper OG settlers played soccer and the Johnny Come-Latelys had to invent new sports as they weren't good enough at the ones everyone else in the world plays like FOOTBALL, rugby (American Football for men) and Cricket or only any good at the ones we stopped playing because they were boring as hell and really just glorified rounders!!

Very likely true... Now: How do you explain "Curling", which is Canadian and somehow involves brooms. And I'd expect generous quantities of Whiskey?

In all seriousness, I poked about a bit today at the airfield and asked several of the "well read and well rounded" pilots and engineers there "Have you ever heard of Dave Beckham?" and had a zero percent recognition rate. So.... methinks that if Tudor wants to market to the new Latin American immigrant population here that seems mainly employed as construction site day-labor they have hit the mark directly. If, on the other hand, they want to market to men who (A) actually are the "old Rolex target audience" and (B) can actually afford a Tudor, they have hit a foul ball down the third base line ... (look it up) ;-)

Edited by Diver Dave

Wriggles

Yep, we know about Curling as well. And foul balls. And the bleachers, and quarterbacks, and first, second, third and fourth bases, and point guards, and three point shots, slam dunks, etc etc.

Unlike yourself, who seems to know little about any sport outside of the US, people outside the US do actually know about, follow and understand sports such as baseball. Yet, you continue to project your own lack of knowledge onto others.

As for your continuing aspersions that only latino immigrants play or are interested in soccer, or football as it should correctly be known, you're completely incorrect.

And your aspersions that they couldn't afford Tudors and that they should be marketed at the folks who should own and can afford to own them, ie non-latino immigrant laborers, doesn't sit well...

Del

Very likely true... Now: How do you explain "Curling", which is Canadian and somehow involves brooms. And I'd expect generous quantities of Whiskey?

Curling originated in Scotland! :facepalm:

dfq23

Just like alcoholism and heart disease

(Half jock so allowed!)

Edited by dfq23

Piccolo

"So.... methinks that if Tudor wants to market to the new Latin American immigrant population here that seems mainly employed as construction site day-labor they have hit the mark directly. If, on the other hand, they want to market to men who (A) actually are the "old Rolex target audience" and (B) can actually afford a Tudor, they have hit a foul ball down the third base line"

Really? You actually think like this?

Diver Dave

"So.... methinks that if Tudor wants to market to the new Latin American immigrant population here that seems mainly employed as construction site day-labor they have hit the mark directly. If, on the other hand, they want to market to men who (A) actually are the "old Rolex target audience" and (B) can actually afford a Tudor, they have hit a foul ball down the third base line"

Really? You actually think like this?

Don't you have a sense of humor?

Seriously, though, I *really* did ask a bunch of people this AM if they recognized the name, and nobody did. These celebrity endorsement deals are more regionally focused than you might think. It'll be interesting to see if he's used in the USA as well as elsewhere, or of they pick someone else with better local name recognition here.

And seriously, Soccer isn't a big draw here. It does absolutely tend to be followed among immigrant populations. We have huge Brazilian and central american and Polish communities here, and they all are nuts about it. Among the older populations there's absolutely no awareness of it as a sport. I'm pretty well read and follow "some" sport (OK, I follow Formula 1, Porsche Racing, and Sailing), but I had to Google the name to figure out who he was. I'm probably centrally within their target audience, as are my peers, and this marketing isn't going to catch our eye. That's just one data sample for the marketing folks. I'll have an ask at the yacht club Saturday as well to see how the sailors do with it. I might be surprised, but I suspect not.

Sport is VERY narrowly delineated among socio-economic strata. If you want to target "X" economic group, you nedd to pick the sport you're going to use for endorsement.

Rank, if you will, and pick the watch brand most likely marketed towards, the following:

Polo

Cricket

Volleyball

Soccer

Rugby

American Football

Golf

Formula 1

12 Meter Sailing

Baseball

Attendance at airshows (Think Breitling's adverts)

NASCAR

Hockey

Basketball

For the economic ranking of the median group that identifies as a fan within any of these *where you live*.

The variance globally is huge.

Hint: Soccer ranks towards the bottom of the money-pile *here in the USA*. Your local mileage will vary.

Edited by Diver Dave

Thelittleprince

https://en.wikipedia...aseball#Origins

In all seriousness, I poked about a bit today at the airfield and asked several of the "well read and well rounded" pilots and engineers there "Have you ever heard of Dave Beckham?" and had a zero percent recognition rate. So.... methinks that if Tudor wants to market to the new Latin American immigrant population here that seems mainly employed as construction site day-labor they have hit the mark directly. If, on the other hand, they want to market to men who (A) actually are the "old Rolex target audience" and (B) can actually afford a Tudor, they have hit a foul ball down the third base line ... (look it up) ;-)

Its David Beckham :P The name Dave belongs to a guy who just can't admit he was wrong. But hey since you know so much, maybe Tudor should have made you brand ambassador instead of this weirdo that no one knows about apparently named "David Beckham" David Beck who????? World famous soccer player whoo????

Chiquita Fanjita

(Half jock so allowed!)

Not funny when you're Scottish and your wife is about to get open heart surgery in over a weeks time through no fault of a bad lifestyle!

Thelittleprince

(Half jock so allowed!)

Not funny when you're Scottish and your wife is about to get open heart surgery in over a weeks time through no fault of a bad lifestyle!

Praying for you mate.