Sign in to follow this  
Piccolo

Tudor & David Beckham...

dfq23

Very likely true... Now: How do you explain "Curling", which is Canadian and somehow involves brooms. And I'd expect generous quantities of Whiskey?

Curling originated in Scotland! :facepalm:

Just like alcoholism and heart disease

(Half jock so allowed!)

Not funny when you're Scottish and your wife is about to get open heart surgery in over a weeks time through no fault of a bad lifestyle!

Hope all goes well mate

RUSH2112

https://en.wikipedia...aseball#Origins

Baseball was invented by us (first ever mention of "baseball" was in 1744 in a British publication with a picture)

https://en.wikipedia...etball#Creation

And Basketball was first played by septics with a...... soccer ball...

So the proper OG settlers played soccer and the Johnny Come-Latelys had to invent new sports as they weren't good enough at the ones everyone else in the world plays like FOOTBALL, rugby (American Football for men) and Cricket or only any good at the ones we stopped playing because they were boring as hell and really just glorified rounders!!

Hockey is okay, but that's Canadian

Very likely true... Now: How do you explain "Curling", which is Canadian and somehow involves brooms. And I'd expect generous quantities of Whiskey?

In all seriousness, I poked about a bit today at the airfield and asked several of the "well read and well rounded" pilots and engineers there "Have you ever heard of Dave Beckham?" and had a zero percent recognition rate. So.... methinks that if Tudor wants to market to the new Latin American immigrant population here that seems mainly employed as construction site day-labor they have hit the mark directly. If, on the other hand, they want to market to men who (A) actually are the "old Rolex target audience" and (B) can actually afford a Tudor, they have hit a foul ball down the third base line ... (look it up) ;-)

Its David Beckham :P The name Dave belongs to a guy who just can't admit he was wrong. But hey since you know so much, maybe Tudor should have made you brand ambassador instead of this weirdo that no one knows about apparently named "David Beckham" David Beck who????? World famous soccer player whoo????

Too late, a very scientific poll of pilots and engineers has proven that david beckham (a guy with a fucking MOVIE named after him for what he was famous for in the sport) has proven that david beckham doesn't even exist.

Chiquita Fanjita

(Half jock so allowed!)

Not funny when you're Scottish and your wife is about to get open heart surgery in over a weeks time through no fault of a bad lifestyle!

Praying for you mate.

(Half jock so allowed!)

Hope all goes well mate

Appreciated guys.

dfq23

Baseball was invented by us (first ever mention of "baseball" was in 1744 in a British publication with a picture)

So the proper OG settlers played soccer and the Johnny Come-Latelys had to invent new sports as they weren't good enough at the ones everyone else in the world plays like FOOTBALL, rugby (American Football for men) and Cricket or only any good at the ones we stopped playing because they were boring as hell and really just glorified rounders!!

In all seriousness, I poked about a bit today at the airfield and asked several of the "well read and well rounded" pilots and engineers there "Have you ever heard of Dave Beckham?" and had a zero percent recognition rate. So.... methinks that if Tudor wants to market to the new Latin American immigrant population here that seems mainly employed as construction site day-labor they have hit the mark directly. If, on the other hand, they want to market to men who (A) actually are the "old Rolex target audience" and (B) can actually afford a Tudor, they have hit a foul ball down the third base line ... (look it up) ;-)

Its David Beckham :P The name Dave belongs to a guy who just can't admit he was wrong. But hey since you know so much, maybe Tudor should have made you brand ambassador instead of this weirdo that no one knows about apparently named "David Beckham" David Beck who????? World famous soccer player whoo????

Too late, a very scientific poll of pilots and engineers has proven that david beckham (a guy with a fucking MOVIE named after him for what he was famous for in the sport) has proven that david beckham doesn't even exist.

His previous watch endorsement seems very "planey" to me

David-Beckham-Breitling-Watches-garticle-3-554x830.jpg

dbex-watches-111412sp.jpg

2c1e529ae581ad341c8dc6b8d7080077.jpg

Obviously just trying to appeal to Latino and immigrant pilots....

30b7cf6fc4e7387987347145f563aead.jpg

Edited by dfq23

ROLIE

Daz mate

they would have been better of wrapping the watch around a bag of crisps

the famous saying

A canny bag of Tudor

lmao

Thelittleprince

Is that Diver Dave?

Piccolo

"So.... methinks that if Tudor wants to market to the new Latin American immigrant population here that seems mainly employed as construction site day-labor they have hit the mark directly. If, on the other hand, they want to market to men who (A) actually are the "old Rolex target audience" and (B) can actually afford a Tudor, they have hit a foul ball down the third base line"

Really? You actually think like this?

Don't you have a sense of humor?

A sense of humour, yes - can you point me to the funny part though?

I'm pretty sure you are not Tudors target market. I would think they want young, cool, on style people who have money to spend and wont bat an eyelid at paying a premium price. The US probably isn't that important when you can sell to 25-45 year olds in China and the Middle East with money to burn.

Chiquita Fanjita
Daz mate

they would have been better of wrapping the watch around a bag of crisps

the famous saying

A canny bag of Tudor

lmao

Showing your age there mate :lol:

RUSH2112

Forgot about that. His pilot friends may be the most out of touch bunch around. Maybe they fly crop dusters?

Thelittleprince

"So.... methinks that if Tudor wants to market to the new Latin American immigrant population here that seems mainly employed as construction site day-labor they have hit the mark directly. If, on the other hand, they want to market to men who (A) actually are the "old Rolex target audience" and (B) can actually afford a Tudor, they have hit a foul ball down the third base line"

I'm pretty sure you are not Tudors target market. I would think they want young, cool, on style people who have money to spend and wont bat an eyelid at paying a premium price. The US probably isn't that important when you can sell to 25-45 year olds in China and the Middle East with money to burn.

You didn't get it? His joke was hilarious because he belittles immigrants

kanye-gif-2_zps46hanhck.gif

Diver Dave

Nice pic. That was taken at the Mojave (California) Airport, where (A) I'm based, and where (B) Richard Branson is having his space ships built. It's about 100 miles northeast of LA. The 747's behind him are all being cut up for scrap, it being the major civilian boneyard for old jets. They just rolled out the largest airplane ever built in history there yesterday, one of the proposed carriers for the space tourism vehicles. It's a neat place. My peers will be flying it.

It's interesting, since I pay attention to the Breitling ads, that I have never seen one of these ads featuring himpublished or on a billboard in the USA. The adverts here all feature the airplanes only (all classics), photographed artistically, without a person included. Which brings me back to the differences in global marketing, especially when personalities are used. The last person I remember in these ads along with airplanes was (oddly enough) John Travolta.... <figure that one out).

Edited by Diver Dave

Diver Dave

You didn't get it? His joke was hilarious because he belittles immigrants

Actually, not. My fiancee and her family (all here) are Polish (her Mom & Dad love soccer BTW), and I work very gladly daily with people from all over the world. It's just a fact of life here in the states that soccer isn't a mainstream spectator sport, and that the people who do follow it are very very likely to be from non-native cultures. Have a Brazilian ex as well, so have been sort of immersed in it for a long while. That's just a cultural observation. David Beckham, believe it or not, isn't a household word here.

These observations, from different cultures, are something that I would think would be interesting. Everyone sees life thru their own prism, and are surprised when others see things very differently. The most famous footballer in the world (apparently) simply isn't a public figure here with universal recognition. You don't need to like it, it's just how it is.

Edited by Diver Dave

Mike on a bike

Guys you may not like the way it was presented but soccer and USA are oil and vinegar. It is a sport of immigrants not ours and that is the perception like it or not. Would like to be PC here but the truth is the truth. We talk baseball, NFL and college football sorry if that upsets you and yes general perception is they are lower in income and can't afford high end watches, right or wrong this is the way it is.

NCRich

Guys you may not like the way it was presented but soccer and USA are oil and vinegar. It is a sport of immigrants not ours and that is the perception like it or not. Would like to be PC here but the truth is the truth. We talk baseball, NFL and college football sorry if that upsets you and yes general perception is they are lower in income and can't afford high end watches, right or wrong this is the way it is.

Yeah, but we won't live forever. Soon it will be soccer and other non scoring sports.

Mike on a bike

I do not know my sons know soccer like a hole in the wall.

Diver Dave

I do not know my sons know soccer like a hole in the wall.

And the only person I asked today who knew who Dave Beckham was (I asked at least 30) was the Polish Fiancee.

"Hey Babe, have you heard of Dave Beckham?"

"Sure, he married one of the spice girls and lives in LA"....

I laughed... no mention of soccer, just who he married.

He seems like a pretty squared away guy, being one who appreciates hard work and excellence. Just not a household word here.

Me = Bored of offering cultural exchange. Off to build a watch.

RUSH2112

Again, not true. I'm born and raised in the us and have played and followed soccer/football all my life and most of my friends do too. Last season 20 mls teams played 17 matches each with a total attendance of over 7 million with Seattle averaging over 40,000 per match. These aren't all immigrants.

Mike on a bike

Not at all just not the big thing Superbowl Sunday for Soccer! (God forbid LOL,take it easy guys tough in cheek) We are capitalist, adds in food stores,million dollar adds on TV are built around our traditional games the system works for them hence soccer not as big a deal here as across the globe, you do not dispute that do you?

RUSH2112
Not at all just not the big thing Superbowl Sunday for Soccer! (God forbid LOL,take it easy guys tough in cheek) We are capitalist, adds in food stores,million dollar adds on TV are built around our traditional games the system works for them hence soccer not as big a deal here as across the globe, you do not dispute that do you?

No, soccer is not as big in the us as overseas but it's not in the state that some of the posts here made it seem. This thread was about beckham and not soccer/football. He's probably equally well known for being married to Victoria as he is for sport here. Hell, when beckham went to the LA Galaxy every mall and sporting goods store were packed with Beckham jerseys.

TheTradingTeam

His partnership with clothing store H&M is said to have grossed over $100 million a year since it was launched... Pretty sure Tudor will be doing ok out of having him as an ambassador.

Completely agree, Beckham has a massive influence worldwide!

Daffy

The last person I remember in these ads along with airplanes was (oddly enough) John Travolta.... <figure that one out).

Travolta is into jets in a major way. He parks his 707 ex-Qantas airliner and a few others at his house here in Florida. He owns what was (and I suppose still is) the largest private runway at 7,500 feet. Qantas recently offered Travolta a 747 for free, but he declined. It would cost too much to fly and maintain, even when getting it as a gift.

I knew the original owner of the property, Arthur Jones, the guy who invented the Nautilus workout equipment. He and his wife had matching 747's.

a0a0lpg1mq5sxqzva5x3.jpg

travoltapilotREX_468x502.jpg

dfq23

The last person I remember in these ads along with airplanes was (oddly enough) John Travolta.... <figure that one out).

Travolta is into jets in a major way. He parks his 707 ex-Qantas airliner and a few others at his house here in Florida. He owns what was (and I suppose still is) the largest private runway at 7,500 feet. Qantas recently offered Travolta a 747 for free, but he declined. It would cost too much to fly and maintain, even when getting it as a gift.

I knew the original owner of the property, Arthur Jones, the guy who invented the Nautilus workout equipment. He and his wife had matching 747's.

a0a0lpg1mq5sxqzva5x3.jpg

He's into jet pilots too allegedly...

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/09/doug-gotterba-john-travolta-money-respond-gay-lawsuit/

No smoke without fire....

article-0-054CCD1D0000044D-46_468x318.jpg

Edited by dfq23

Diver Dave

a0a0lpg1mq5sxqzva5x3.jpg

Yup. I bought one of his antique jets long ago, a single seat Dehavilland DH-100 Vampire, which was the oldest flying jet in the world at the time (built 1946). Sadly after I sold it the next idiot managed to crash it after forgetting that you need to add oil to the engine after every flight. It still sickens me.

He's just donated the 707 (really a 720) back to a preservation society in Australia, which will preserve it in Qantas colors. They are looking at it now to do whatever it needs in order to fly it again. Last time I saw it was about 10 years ago in Newburg NY. Walked around it, kicked the tires, and looked it all over. Great old thing.

Undinist

What's the grubby pikey wearing today?

4317_B47_F00000578-0-image-a-171_1502239598811.jpg