Sign in to follow this  
Kusanagi

The White Dial Explorer II Search

Kusanagi

Like many others I have been intrigued by the Rolex Explorer II with white dial, but put off by the metallic grey hour markers on the reps. The genuine Explorer II with white dial has black markers, like this one:

EX2Gen1.jpg

The contrast of the markers is a big part of what gives the white dial version its unique character. Some of the reps (not all) at least have black hands, but still grey markers.

I was poking around the Timeshop site and ran across this:

Rolex Explorer 2 White Dial SS/SS - Swiss ETA 2836-2

Black hands AND hour markers!! But...further perusing of the photos shows a Triple Lock crown. Also it appears to have the wrong bracelet, although technically you could fit that bracelet to an Explorer II. The CG "shoulders" appear a little broad, but that would not keep me from purchasing one. It's that wrong crown that really puts me off. I know it can be fixed, but would rather not have to do that.

Still, it appears a step or two closer than we were before to a an off-the-shelf quality white dial Explorer II replica.

*****EDIT 3/26/2011*****

Link now says no longer available. :) The search continues!

I did save the photos for reference. Here are a couple to show I was not making this up:

EX2Rep1.jpg

EX2Rep4.jpg

Edited by Kusanagi

gottahaverolex

Looks like a gmt IIc case and crown was used. The dial looks really nice but the case is just completely wrong. I'd send Mary a pic and see what she can find for you. If it's available she'll find it. I'd express the desire for a closer to gen case and crown though so she doesn't just offer you the same watch timeshop has. Good luck, I'd rock this watch if you can find a better version.

Kusanagi

Thanks, GHR, that's good advice. I will proceed in that direction and report if anything comes of it.