Thommo82

1973 Bulova Snorkel

Thommo82

I know nothing about watch mechanism's

When I attached a crown and tried to set time it was very stiff.

I didn't want to force it and break anything

But yes, seconds hand sweeps nicely

Well, here's your chance to learn about watch movements! Get yourself an eye-loupe and some decent screwdrivers and have at it! Spend a little time on youtube watching some servicing videos. What do you have to lose, besides some time?

Think I'm going to buy these

IMG_7783.png

I bought a watch tool kit on eBay, some tools in it are good, some utter crap, first time I used the little hammer the top fell off and I had to glue it back on. The screwdrivers in the set seem slightly too big. Perhaps I can file/sharpen them?

mike_morgan

Do the screwdrivers have replaceable tips? Also... just grab a GOOD single optic eye loupe, those cheap ones you're thinking about are a pain.

Thommo82
Do the screwdrivers have replaceable tips? Also... just grab a GOOD single optic eye loupe, those cheap ones you're thinking about are a pain.

Yeah they are replaceable, hadn't noticed that before....

Thanks for the advice on the loupe

Diver Dave

I know nothing about watch mechanism's

When I attached a crown and tried to set time it was very stiff.

I didn't want to force it and break anything

But yes, seconds hand sweeps nicely

Well, here's your chance to learn about watch movements! Get yourself an eye-loupe and some decent screwdrivers and have at it! Spend a little time on youtube watching some servicing videos. What do you have to lose, besides some time?

Think I'm going to buy these

IMG_7783.png

I bought a watch tool kit on eBay, some tools in it are good, some utter crap, first time I used the little hammer the top fell off and I had to glue it back on. The screwdrivers in the set seem slightly too big. Perhaps I can file/sharpen them?

DO NOT! You will suffer from eyestrain with these cheap items. You need both a VISOR and a LOUPE.

Visor: Buy a ORIGINAL "Optivisor", which is made in the USA and it not expensive and is top quality. Do not buy cheap tools, you will only suffer and not be able to do good work. If you cannot see, you cannot work, and if you buy shitty lenses you will not be able to see.

Loupe: Buy a good one. Look on EBay for an old Bausch & Lomb one, you can buy them for less than a Chinese copy.

Edited by Diver Dave

Thommo82

DO NOT! You will suffer from eyestrain with these cheap items. You need both a VISOR and a LOUPE.

Visor: Buy a ORIGINAL "Optivisor", which is made in the USA and it not expensive and is top quality. Do not buy cheap tools, you will only suffer and not be able to do good work. If you cannot see, you cannot work, and if you buy shitty lenses you will not be able to see.

Loupe: Buy a good one. Look on EBay for an old Bausch & Lomb one, you can buy them for less than a Chinese copy.

Thanks for the advice mate

This thread has been most informative

Thommo82

IMG_7801.png

IMG_7802.png

Found this movement with crown and stem on eBay

Seller says it's working fine

I figured getting a movement in good order may be cheaper than fixing a broken one

Hopefully I don't get bid up too high

Diver Dave

IMG_7801.png

IMG_7802.png

Found this movement with crown and stem on eBay

Seller says it's working fine

I figured getting a movement in good order may be cheaper than fixing a broken one

Hopefully I don't get bid up too high

Looks good, but bidding on ebay is like playing poker: Don't show your cards until you have won the game. I'd delete the above post if it were me...

Bjut it's a good plan to replace the movement.

Thommo82

Can't believe I got this for my original bid

What a score

1498308010805.jpg

mike_morgan

Congratulations!

Thommo82
Congratulations!

Thanks mike

I mean, $25 for this gen movement in working is a fucking bargain!

If I was the seller I'd be pissed I didn't put a reserve on it

Haltec

@OP - how much did watch it self set you back? ($)

You did good with movement. Very good.

Thommo82
@OP - how much did watch it self set you back? ($)

You did good with movement. Very good.

Originally paid $165 Aussie dollars with a tense bidding war in the last 5 mins.

Was under the impression that the movement was working, however in total, with new dial and movement I've paid a touch under $200 down under dollars. I see other examples of these watches going for approx $500 Yanky bucks.

If all goes well with my restoration then I've got myself a bloody bargain

Thommo82

So I've just spent what felt like an eternity fitting the new parts to the Snorkel

I have a cheap nasty watch fixing kit and basically zero know how and yet I seem to have come up a winner!

New movement installed, new dial installed and a mix of the old seconds hand and the hour and minute hand from the new movement, which as you can see all go together quite nicely with the matching orange.

Watch has been running for only an hour and hasn't yet lost time. See how it's looking in the morning. Fingers crossed

Anyway, you don't wanna listen to me, you just wanna see some pics right?

IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8043.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8045.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

Any one got any tips for buffing up the crystal?

I have no idea what it's made out of

I've heard you can buff plexi up pretty easily?

Daffy

So I've just spent what felt like an eternity fitting the new parts to the Snorkel

I have a cheap nasty watch fixing kit and basically zero know how and yet I seem to have come up a winner!

New movement installed, new dial installed and a mix of the old seconds hand and the hour and minute hand from the new movement, which as you can see all go together quite nicely with the matching orange.

Watch has been running for only an hour and hasn't yet lost time. See how it's looking in the morning. Fingers crossed

Anyway, you don't wanna listen to me, you just wanna see some pics right?

IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8043.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8045.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

Any one got any tips for buffing up the crystal?

I have no idea what it's made out of

I've heard you can buff plexi up pretty easily?

Novus plastic polish works wonders for me. Heavy scratches takes #3, then usually #2 gets it done. Follow up with #1 if you're a perfectionist.

The guys who restore pinball machines use this religiously. It also works wonders on your fogged up car headlights.

https://www.novuspolish.com/

Genius

Awesome work really does look great!

SuperbMonster

Nice work there Thommo. Cracking result and you can wear it with pride knowing that you made it happen :)

I really like the dial and hand colour combo

Thommo82
name='SuperbMonster' timestamp='1501876249' post='2019690']Nice work there Thommo. Cracking result and you can wear it with pride knowing that you made it happen :)

I really like the dial and hand colour combo

Awesome work really does look great!

Thanks guys, I appreciate that

It does feel good to have done the work myself, especially since I really had no idea what I was doing

Agreed on the dial/hand colour combo Monster, it's just too bad they have no lume

From last night to this morning, the watch hasn't lost any time

And to think I only paid $25 for the movement (eta?)

Thommo82

Novus plastic polish works wonders for me. Heavy scratches takes #3, then usually #2 gets it done. Follow up with #1 if you're a perfectionist.

The guys who restore pinball machines use this religiously. It also works wonders on your fogged up car headlights.

I've got some car headlight cleaner, think I could just use that?

Genius

I've got some car headlight cleaner, think I could just use that?

Yeah so long as it's headlight restoration stuff it's gonna have the abrasive in that will polish up the crystal,

Cubic Hare

Good job Thommo.. Looks great mate.

Cubes

MoveAlong

Great tinkering job! Satisfying, isn't it? :D

Thommo82
name='Cubic Hare' timestamp='1501882142' post='2019744']Good job Thommo.. Looks great mate.

Cubes

Great tinkering job! Satisfying, isn't it? :D

Thanks guys

And yes, it's completely satisfying

Had no one to show apart from my missus, who really couldn't give a shit

Hopefully the first of many projects

Thommo82

Yeah so long as it's headlight restoration stuff it's gonna have the abrasive in that will polish up the crystal,

Gave it a polish with the headlight stuff

It did make a difference but I guess some of the scratches were too deep to polish out. Doesn't bother me that much but I may possibly look into getting a new plexi one day

Thommo82

IMG_8053.png

Pretty happy with the Bulova

Here's a pic in the sunlight with the hands in perfect position

Thanks for the encouragement guys

Gonna get into strap making when I get some time