Sign in to follow this  
ZellerFTW

For movement disassembly and assembly, is this the kit I need?

ZellerFTW

On the RWG shop, there's this kit:

https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index...p;productId=162

How would that work as a kit with the tools for disassembly and assembly of various movements found in reps? (such as the 6947, 7750, etc)

Along with some other consumables, what else would I need? Suggestions?

Ska

Check out the RWG shop buddy. Gimme a few mins, I'll put together a proper list.

I have the same kit as that. You'll also need the following.

1. Latex gloves or finger cots

2. Rodico

3. Movement parts bins or tubs.

4. Acetone or Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning.

pollux1

Pretty comprehensive and most importantly DECENT quality kit there mate. The amount of tools I've bought cheap and binned after breaking is :D

David543

I'm thinking of getting into taking apart some old reps etc, so much appreciated Ska! :ttiwwop:

ZellerFTW

Cool.

I am thinking we should start a wiki of some kind, a how-to for disassembly and reassembly of these movements. Sort of like the Haynes manuals for watch movements...

I know there's the Swisslab site from ETA, but as I mentioned in another post I've read that these guides are missing some steps and don't explain everything in enough detail to allow a beginner to dive in.

To me, this all seems fairly academic. Intuition and full working knowledge of the components is great to have, but is all of that 100% necessary to simply take these little machines apart. I think those with a heaping dose of common sense and practical dexterity with small tools should be able to quickly learn how to follow instructions to take these things apart and put them back together in the proper order.

Thoughts?

Ska

Mostly true however there are certain things like replacing the pallet fork and other parts of the escapement which can require a bit of a knack on certain movements and are also (helpfully) the most critical part.

Another thing is realising how little force you can safely impart to some components before breaking teeth or bending things - or worse sending tiny springs into orbit never to be seen again.

Start with an old pocket watch or a 6497 and you should be fine. I would find a 5 quid junk movement on the bay and practice taking it apart and reassembling it a few times.

ZellerFTW
Mostly true however there are certain things like replacing the pallet fork and other parts of the escapement which can require a bit of a knack on certain movements and are also (helpfully) the most critical part.

Another thing is realising how little force you can safely impart to some components before breaking teeth or bending things - or worse sending tiny springs into orbit never to be seen again.

Start with an old pocket watch or a 6497 and you should be fine. I would find a 5 quid junk movement on the bay and practice taking it apart and reassembling it a few times.

I actually have a "junk" movement that I'd like to start with. It's a Seiko NH25 or similar. The rotor and caseback rub, so it won't wind. I've already taken the rotor off and futzed around with the guttyworks a bit after removing it from the case. I just don't have a holder or an inkling about where to begin on the NH25. I found a parts catalog that seems to explain the order of part removal along with lubrication points, but again I haven't the tools.

Perhaps a 6497 from the bay would work as well...

What about the lubrication kit on the RWG shop? I'd need that as well, correct?

David543

The problem is that a watch maker has an apprenticeship of years and acquiring 'the touch' is a combination of art and science to do well. Knowing when something is stiff but will move, or going to break takes a lot of skill. Then like Ska said there are springs etc that conspire to sproing out of the movement for good.... I am daunted to say the least. Just getting the movement out of the case would feel like achievement!

Ska

I'm now going to attempt to use the verb "Sproing" regularly in normal conversation. Outstanding.

Oh and yes the lubrication kit would be essential if you're going to be cleaning the parts.

trailboss99

Hey skathe, it comes with Rodico now as well as hands removers and fitting tool.

Yes mate, if you order the kit you may as well get the oiler kit as well.

You should get a roller sharpener for your driver bits as well. Properly sharpened drivers are crucial

to good work. A dust cover (covered parts tray) would be a good idea too.

Col

ZellerFTW
Hey skathe, it comes with Rodico now as well as hands removers and fitting tool.

Yes mate, if you order the kit you may as well get the oiler kit as well.

You should get a roller sharpener for your driver bits as well. Properly sharpened drivers are crucial

to good work. A dust cover (covered parts tray) would be a good idea too.

Col

Excellent. I love how it's all packaged properly. Seems comparable to the TZ School level 1 and 2 kits combined in many ways, just without the movements of course.

So, with these parts I should be able to completely disassemble and reassemble virtually any rep movement?

(I already have isopropyl, an ultrasonic cleaner, etc. Guess I need some parts baskets to place the bits into for cleaning, too.)

millerjohn

And then you still need a steady and swift hand like mine. Here is a slow motion vid of how I reassemble my rolex every morning before work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDOGWVgnU6Y

:D

Well..., maybe more helpful would be these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpII8WDZnYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4o7bHhv-0g

Greetz

John

ps.: for some reasons the youtube inclusion does not work

Edited by millerjohn