Sign in to follow this  
Del

Breitling SOSF in blue from PrestigeWatchCo

Del

As many of you know, I am a big fan of the Breitling SOSF and have a white face version that I bought from Mary and a black face version that Dingleberry kindly sent me as a prize in one of the RWG birthday competitions. However, when Robert recently re-listed the new-style SOSFs with the red arrow second hand I couldn't resist snapping up a blue face to complete my three-colour collection :).

I was very interested to see how this would compare to my widely admired white face SOSF from Mary, especially the dial and lume dots!

So, on to the brief review...

The Listing

Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish

Stainless steel 44mm

Asian 21J automatic (possible smooth sweep)

Sapphire crystal with heavy AR

Good lume

$129 + shipping

The Order

Blue face SOSF on blue leather strap with deployment clasp

Ordered on 18th March

Paid for by bank transfer on 18th March

Shipped on 21st March

Received on 24th March (Superfast delivery by EMS Thailand!)

The Package

Padded envelope

Watch was wrapped in several turns of bubble wrap

Watch was contained within two clear plastic bags

The Watch

No visable marks or flaws

Face, hands and markers all look perfect

Movement had started running when removed from packaging

The sweep doesn't appear to be any smoother than my other 21j autos

Crown unscrewed easily and short hand wind was smooth

Crown pulled out positively to both first and second positions

Time and date set with no issues (initial time check a few hours later indicated good timekeeping)

Rotor spins freely and is not overly noisy

Bezel clicks round smoothly and positively

Lume is excellent although longevity not tested yet

The Pictures

As you can see, I replaced the blue leather strap with a spare (new) SOSF s/s bracelet.

p3265723v2.jpg

Dial is not nearly as "ridged" as my black or white SOSF, but I think that is true to the current gen (pictured below for comparison).

The lume dots are almost perfect, perhaps the dot at one o'clock is the worst.

Crystal is clear and AR is ok (it's not blue, just the reflection from the dial).

p3265731v2.jpg

Gen for comparison

sosfbluegen.jpg

The HE valve

p3265732v2.jpg

Nice marking on the crown

p3265733v2.jpg

Engraved Breitling logo on edge of bezel

p3265734v2.jpg

Lume shots

p3255661v2.jpg

p3255660v2.jpg

Wristy

p3255636v2.jpg

My three SOSFs :D

p3265697v2.jpg

Balad1

Amazing looking watch, especially for the money. I can't wait until Robert can hopefully source more.

gB.

Nice review Del. Thanks! :)

Del
Amazing looking watch, especially for the money. I can't wait until Robert can hopefully source more.

Yeah, these are lovely :D

Nice review Del. Thanks! :)

Thanks GBOGH :D

SliceMaster

Yeah, these are lovely :)

Nice review Del. Thanks! :clap:

Thanks GBOGH :clap:

It looks ok but no more :clap: I´m sure mine will be so much nicer :boxing:

Just kidding mate it does look great, cant wait to get mine

As always you take great pictures its a pleasure to look at them!

Cynikal.Mindset

looks alright...lumed markers look pretty decent on yours but the date font is waaaaaaaaaaay off!

Del
It looks ok but no more :clap: I´m sure mine will be so much nicer :boxing:

Just kidding mate it does look great, cant wait to get mine

As always you take great pictures its a pleasure to look at them!

:clap:

Thanks Slice :clap:

looks alright...lumed markers look pretty decent on yours but the date font is waaaaaaaaaaay off!

To be honest I've not really looked that closely at the date font :);)

MikeMcNair

Amazing pix! And amazing watch!!!! Well done sir!

Please inform me where you bought the bracelet, or since you have so many, would you by chance have one of the END links? Not the actual end of the link, one of the three pieces that attaches to the end. Where the bracelet meets the SEL it has FLAT parts (the outer 2 are flat on one side, and angled on the other) and I accidentally destroyed one (see pic below) and need jus that one tiny part :clap:

The one on the top, notice it is an end link? That's what I need....

2791cfd5.jpg

Del
Amazing pix! And amazing watch!!!! Well done sir!

Please inform me where you bought the bracelet, or since you have so many, would you by chance have one of the END links? Not the actual end of the link, one of the three pieces that attaches to the end. Where the bracelet meets the SEL it has FLAT parts (the outer 2 are flat on one side, and angled on the other) and I accidentally destroyed one (see pic below) and need jus that one tiny part :D

Thanks Mike ;).

My white SOSF came with the s/s bracelet but I've now got that on the brown croc strap so it was available to use on this new blue SOSF (I think the blue face suits the s/s better than the blue leather strap it came with).

As for the spare end link, I can't help you mate because those flat end link parts are being used in my bracelets and I don't have any other spare SOSF bracelets to offer, sorry.

Del

Ok, I had a look at the date font and compared it to some gen pics and it isn't quite right. However, to say it is "waaaaaaaaaaay off" is a little bit of an over-statement :paddy_gold: (plus who's going to notice anyway? - I didn't! :thumbsup2:).

Silverspeed

Lovely looking watch...not a really big breitling fan, but the SOSF is a very nice rep

especially at this price it has great value for money....enjoy it often :)

kolchak

Del - by any chance have you weighed the 3 amigos? Curious how many grams. Would you say quality is the same on all three or is one particularly better? Thanks for the great write up & comparo pic of gen.

Del
Lovely looking watch...not a really big breitling fan, but the SOSF is a very nice rep

especially at this price it has great value for money....enjoy it often :thumbsup2:

Thanks Silver :rofl:

Del - by any chance have you weighed the 3 amigos? Curious how many grams. Would you say quality is the same on all three or is one particularly better? Thanks for the great write up & comparo pic of gen.

Thanks kolchak :rofl:

No, I've not weighed them - they are heavy though ;). To be honest, quality on all three is very similar - it is hard to say one is significantly better than the other. Considering that the blue one is the most up to date model you might think that it is the best in terms of quality but it's not that obvious. I think I still marginally prefer my white one, purely from an asthetic point of view.

sjb

Great trio Del....wasn't a great lover Breitling ,,but now I'll have to think again! ;)

mondeov6

That is a very nice review Del!! And the pictures are really good! ;)

The watch looks amazing for the money!...ohhh.. and some extra... :thumbsup2::rofl: ...over the one with the white face!

Del
Great trio Del....wasn't a great lover Breitling ,,but now I'll have to think again! :drool:

Thanks sjb - every collection needs a Breitling ;)

That is a very nice review Del!! And the pictures are really good! :thumbsup2:

The watch looks amazing for the money!...ohhh.. and some extra... :drool::drool: ...over the one with the white face!

:thumbsup2:

Cheers Rolf :o