Sign in to follow this  
watch5

Good watch to wear starting a career

watch5

I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times, and I hope that I'm not beating a dead horse, but as a male finishing his last semester of college and starting at one of the big accounting firms, what is a good watch to wear? I already own a few reps of high end watches, but as a first year, I can't walk into work wearing an Ice Bang or some other watch where the GEN costs >$10,000. People in the workplace are jealous as is, so wearing what they would believe is a high end watch would probably hurt my reputation.

So, with that being said, what would a clean, professional, non-chrono watch be for a first year? Also, one that could or should be worn with a leather band (I'd like to get a custom strap to sport it up maybe).

I'm thinking the PAM 005, but I already have the 111... I don't know.

Thanks everyone!

solkryssare

Fuck people and what they think. Wear what makes you happy :lol:

taylorwinn16
I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times, and I hope that I'm not beating a dead horse, but as a male finishing his last semester of college and starting at one of the big accounting firms, what is a good watch to wear? I already own a few reps of high end watches, but as a first year, I can't walk into work wearing an Ice Bang or some other watch where the GEN costs >$10,000. People in the workplace are jealous as is, so wearing what they would believe is a high end watch would probably hurt my reputation.

So, with that being said, what would a clean, professional, non-chrono watch be for a first year? Also, one that could or should be worn with a leather band (I'd like to get a custom strap to sport it up maybe).

I'm thinking the PAM 005, but I already have the 111... I don't know.

Thanks everyone!

I'd go with a leather breitling navitimer or possible a Breguet, timesshop.net has some nice Breguets

Del

Be yourself mate, wear whatever watch you enjoy wearing. If you go around worrying about what other people think about you all your life then you'll never be happy.

The PAM111 sounds ideal btw :lol:

[Just saw Sol's response above - that's more or less what I meant too :lol:]

Fiddo

I would go with one that keeps accurate time.

Nothing will stall your career quicker if you are late all the time.

jameo210369

I don't do bling myself but as solkryssare said wear what you want. Have you got a Breitling or Omega if yes they are probably a safe option if your unsure.

seclark007

I say take a look at Del's thread on his Avenger...if it's a crono you want. Not an overly expensive gen in the grand scheme of things, and looks good on leather.

jameo210369

I don't do bling myself but as solkryssare said wear what you want. Have you got a Breitling or Omega if yes they are probably a safe option if your unsure.

Bloody server error

Akira

Everything but Rolex...

PAM 111 is a perfect watch, since nobody knowes much about PAMs.

I wear my 005 and always get compliments on the design, never get asked if it's a expensive one.

jdoe
I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times, and I hope that I'm not beating a dead horse, but as a male finishing his last semester of college and starting at one of the big accounting firms, what is a good watch to wear?

Whatever will help get you laid.

On the other hand if a client catches you with a fake watch, he might start thinking about fake numbers (which he may need from time to time :lol: )

Consider a Baume & Mercier (Discreet and you might just afford a genuine one, and if not, most folks (who know it) will think you could afford it anyway). http://www.alanmarcusco.com/noframes/baume1.html

Wouldn't touch a Rolex with a barge pole though.

Edited by jdoe

jameo210369

A 10 inch cock helps you get laid, get it out lump it on the table and at least one out of the women in work will want it.

benc999

As everyone has said wear what you feel comfortable wearing.

If you're looking for something a little more conservative, a classic Seamaster or 42mm Planet Ocean have that classy yet understated feel without looking too stuffy. As you said you're looking to put on leather, possibly go with the PO.

And don't get too hung up - very few folk are that into their watches - even those that are won't scrutinize it to any great degree.

Edited by benc999

David543

I work in public sector audit in something like an accountancy firm and see finance guys and senior managers etc and hardly anyone has a clue about watches. You could probably wear a tourbillon and no one would notice.... When I wore my Hublot some colleague asked me if it was a Casio. :thumbsup2::D

Wear what you love.

wizawuza

I'm all about wearing what you like and fuck the opinion of others on a social level.. but yeah, on a professional level you unfortunately sometimes have to care what people think..

I know said no chrono.. but if you're willing to do chrono Tag's are a great "affordable but still classy" watch..

no chrono... and in a business environment.. if you do pam's I'd do a radiomir (my pam183 is great with dress shirts, but not so good /w suits.. and while I love my pam 112 & 113, I would never wear them with a dress shirt, personally...).. hmm otherwise for "affordable" I'd look at IWC, some breightlings.. SOSF might be good?

crossbones

im thinking speedmaster :D

RacingSnake

Wear whatever you want and whatever you like.

watch5

Then I guess, screw them haha.

I remember reading an article on AskMen with that watch guy and he said no early 20's year old should be wearing a "nicer" watch than his senior, but what does he know?

That's the one thing I hate about this hobby...I always find an excuse to get myself another watch. As if owning 8 watches isn't enough.

SteveR123
Fuck people and what they think. Wear what makes you happy :lol:

+1

Life's too short to spend your time worrying what others think. That's a hard lesson to learn but once you accept it life becomes a little easier and a lot more fun! And Good luck with the new job!

myaz

If you wear long sleeves, no one will know what watch you have.

Most people can't tell a tourbillon Breguet from a Casio.

But a lot can tell what a rolex looks like.

It's only natural to immediately start to make an opinion of people you just meet based upon visual and non visual clues....hence the saying about not judging a book by its cover.

Lastly, I remember making small talk with a brand new attorney telling me he bought a rolex (he could ill afford) so clients could tell he was successful.

So I would say hold off on rolexes and flashy watches until you know who judges a person by his watch at the office.....

Member X

Hmmm... Office politics are a tricky subject...

Given you don't want to be too flash but also not wear something that looks 'cheap' I'd get a rep of something you could be seen to afford. Tags are good, I think some of the reps are very accurate to gen (quartz especially(?)), or perhaps a Breitling SuperOcean Heritage? Truly a Super-Rep, all it needs is the lume fixing to 100% on the marker locations and I don't believe anyone could tell the difference without taking the back off!

Alternatively, one of the Sinn models - no-one's ever heard of them but if they looked it up they would see the gens are only c.1k, so shouldn't provoke an unduly OTT reaction from jealous people who put more energy into bitching and backstabbing than working... Also a very accurate rep! :lol:

Or you could get a gen automatic Seiko Diver - looks the business and should come in under $300...

MikeMcNair
Fuck people and what they think. Wear what makes you happy :)

x eleventeen.

in fact, i would go so far as to say WEAR WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL CONFIDENT! because confidence is what gets jobs. :D

rychastings

go with omega or tag. good mid range watches imo

Mystery Shopper

I agree, Breitling, Omega or Tag.

I would go a SOSF, Speedmaster or a Carrera.

Most people haven't a clue. I agree to stay away from Rolex as people know what they are.

ZellerFTW

Man, what a great thread!

I had this concern too before I bought my first reps -- which was a matter of weeks ago. I wear my Rolex rep as if it were gen, because it projects success. While I am successful enough, I am not so successful that I am willing to risk a $10K watch that could get banged up, smashed against things, etc. The second a $10K Rolex goes on my wrist, I'm sure I'd bang it against some metal railing leaving a nice big scratch. The reps, I can get them scratched by accident and not feel so bad about it, not be afraid to try and fix it myself, etc.

As far as you plight is concerned... I'd say wear the Rolex. If anyone asks, just say it was a gift from relative or somesuch. If you're more concerned, then what others have said is a good bet. An Omega Seamaster would be plausible as a graduation gift, or a Breitling. I personally don't like Tags, but if you like that look then go for it.

petemoss

For a first year CPA, I'd recommend something very low keyed and unpretentious. A Seiko quartz or something similar.

You want to get noticed for your hard work, not your watch. The partners will have expensive watches and you can remark "Gee that's a great looking watch! I hope to have something

like that someday." Don't start with a better watch than they have.

Edited by petemoss