Sign in to follow this  
rober100

Received my first replica, hard to wind

rober100

I received my first replica today :rofl: It's one of those vintage submariners with no date. Allegedly it's a Swiss Eta 2836-2 movement but since it has no date, I'm not sure :rofl:

The watch runs fine. The only issue I have noticed so far is that this movement is somehow hard to wind. Is this common with Swiss eta movements?

alw

Better not to wind it! Just shake it a bit and then put it on your wrist. It´s an automatic watch and winding is not really recommended as it wears the gears if done too forcefully.

rober100
Better not to wind it! Just shake it a bit and then put it on your wrist. It´s an automatic watch and winding is not really recommended as it wears the gears if done too forcefully.

Yeah I know :rofl: However I'll have to give it a couple of turns from time to time because I own other watches and I'm not going to wear this one every day. I have no winder, so it will eventually stop sooner or later.

dingle

Yeah I know :rofl: However I'll have to give it a couple of turns from time to time because I own other watches and I'm not going to wear this one every day. I have no winder, so it will eventually stop sooner or later.

It stops because it is "still".....not because it became unwound. This is not a handwind movement.

powderfreak
Yeah I know However I'll have to give it a couple of turns from time to time because I own other watches and I'm not going to wear this one every day. I have no winder, so it will eventually stop sooner or later.

You sould go for a watchwinder, but don't wind your automatic watch all the time!

rober100
It stops because it is "still".....not because it became unwound. This is not a handwind movement.

Well, whenever I remove it from my wrist, the watch keeps running. I guess sooner or later it will run out of power reserve. I think Swiss eta 2836-2 has a reserve of 40 hours.

dingle

Well, whenever I remove it from my wrist, the watch keeps running. I guess sooner or later it will run out of power reserve. I think Swiss eta 2836-2 has a reserve of 40 hours.

this is true :rofl:

rober100
You sould go for a watchwinder, but don't wind your automatic watch all the time!

Too much stuff for me :rofl: When I stop wearing a watch, I just throw it into my watches box.

alw

Don´t stress about it - just adjust the time next time you wear it.

KBH
The watch runs fine. The only issue I have noticed so far is that this movement is somehow hard to wind. Is this common with Swiss eta movements?

"Hard to wind" is kind of hard to reply to. Are you comparing it to a 21j? Yes, the ETA's are a little harder to wind than a 21j. Also, the Rolex has an internal o-ring on the stem that makes it a little harder. And, the ETA movements actually get a little harder as they get fully wound. So, without knowing how hard is hard, it's really impossible to properly answer your question.. If you know someone who has owned a few gen manual wind watches, you might ask him. Or you might unscrew the back and take a look inside just to make sure everything looks like it's working properly.

I would suggest that you mention this to your dealer and ask how long his warranty is. That way, should it break any time soon, you should be covered. But it's probably not a real problem.

rober100
"Hard to wind" is kind of hard to reply to. Are you comparing it to a 21j?

Not really, I was comparing with a Seagull movement I have, ultra-smooth to wind.

Also, the Rolex has an internal o-ring on the stem that makes it a little harder.

Yes, I also thought that maybe stiffness could have anything to do with waterprofingthat area o with any internal rubber.

And, the ETA movements actually get a little harder as they get fully wound.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks :mrballs:

So, without knowing how hard is hard, it's really impossible to properly answer your question..

It is hard but not a big deal. I still can wind it. I just wasn't sure if I was forcing the movement or if this particular movement is stiff and that's all.

I would suggest that you mention this to your dealer and ask how long his warranty is. That way, should it break any time soon, you should be covered. But it's probably not a real problem.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion :) This one came from the cartel so I don't think I'll have any trouble in case it breaks.