Sign in to follow this  
lpv888

Tourbillon reps with an automatic movement. Anyone got some suggestions?

lpv888

Hi All,

Sorry if I'm doubling up on something that's been asked. I've had a bit of a scout around and couldn't find a dedicated thread to tourbillon reps? I really like the JLC one that skathewatch has, but wanted to know if there were any high quality automatic tourbillon reps? Or am I just asking to much of a rep? lol

Cheers!

jrodshibuya

Do you mean one with a fully functioning tourbillon? They exist but cost around $500. On the other hand you can get a faux tourbillon, which is just an exposed balance wheel. I ordered this one the other day http://timesshop.net/product.php?id_product=7915

Cynikal.Mindset

Check out Tao international tourbillon watches. 100bux gets you real tourbillon

Ska

Sorry to piss on your chips but those aren't real tourbillons. They're seconds @ six movements with the balance wheel exposed underneath. :)

turnipz

Huh, you mean a rotating snowflake type thing? Cheapest real tourbillon I've seen is on ebay auction under the term "flying tourbillon", usually go for 300-400.

greg_r

Uh, no it doesn't. Those are faux tourbys...

trailboss99

Also, there are no automatic Chinese toubillon movements so you won't get an auto tourby for under 40k

I think Sea-Gull are working on one but AFIK it' isn't out as yet.

Col.

jdoe

According to this SeaGull's ST80 and ST82 can be either manual or auto

David543

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the $100 comment. As this is one of the most exotic and difficult to technically and reliably implement complications that on a 'gen' cost $40k plus and are rare. :facepalm:

I have seen rep dealers recommended on this site with watches they say are real tourbillons for about $750 or more. However, are they real tourbillons? Are they likely to be reliable? I must say, just owning a real tourbillon would be amazing, I wouldn't care if it were trying to 'rep' another watch or was just being itself, if you see what I mean! ;)

Edited by David543

greg_r
I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the $100 comment. As this is one of the most exotic and difficult to technically and reliably implement complications that on a 'gen' cost $40k plus and are rare. :facepalm:

I have seen rep dealers recommended on this site with watches they say are real tourbillons for about $750 or more. However, are they real tourbillons? Are they likely to be reliable? I must say, just owning a real tourbillon would be amazing, I wouldn't care if it were trying to 'rep' another watch or was just being itself, if you see what I mean! ;)

Yes, you can buy a watch with a REAL working tourbillon movement from $400 (unbranded) and upwards. The majority of decent rep tourbys are in the $500 to $1,000 region.

These watches are powered by Chinese-made movements from reputable manufacturers and are generally of very high quality. The snag comes when you try to get them serviced as hardly anybody will work on them due to their complexity.

rkane

Ska your JLC is just stunning, pure and simple.

jrodshibuya

Those Seagulls look good, total copies of Breguet at 1/5th the price.

trailboss99

The MVT in that 5k Sea-Gull (it's a hyphenated name guys) is the same one as in a lot of those 500 to 1000 dollar reps jar.

The rest use the Liaoning 5010 which is the MVT used in the Million Smart range of watches. Here is some info on the current Chinese MVTs.

Current Chinese Developments

Beijing TB01-2 In 2000, the Beijing Watch Factory revisited the tourbillon concept and reworked it for limited production. The result was the TB01-2 flying carrousel-tourbillon, currently the most expensive production Chinese tourbillon on the market. It features a titanium flying tourbillon cage, and is usually elaborately decorated on both dial and movement. Beijing have also developed a double-tourbillon, TB02, an 8-day tourbillon, TB03, a dual-axis tourbillon, TB04, and a tourbillon with minute-repeater, MRB1.

Liaoning 5010 Costing much less and thus reaching a much wider market, Liaoning Watch Factory's tourbillon has enjoyed great success cased-up by Million Smart Enterprises for a variety of new international brands. The British Horological Institute's 150th Anniversary watch featured a 5010 tourbillon.

Shanghai The Shanghai Watch Factory launched their Classic Tourbillon as an exclusive Shanghai-branded product only, however they have since followed the trend and offered this somewhat expensive movement for sale to other watch companies. Returning to Breguet's original idea, this movement features a large balance-wheel on a common axis to the tourbillon cage. In 2007 Shanghai revealed their amazing Orbital Tourbillon, which features either one or two tourbillons mounted on a 12-hour karrusel platform.

PTS Resources FD-3032 This was the first Chinese tourbillon to be reviewed online. Clearly built to a budget, and featuring components from the humble Standard movement, it is nonetheless as impressive as any tourbillon is that actually works. In 2007 PTS presented a prototype '12 Hour Karrousel' movement of unusual design and much higher grade. In 2008, PTS introduced a dual-mainspring tourbillon.

Sea-Gull ST80 Most Chinese tourbillons owe something to the Blancpain flying carrousel-tourbillon design, but this is the one with the closest physical resemblance. Of higher quality than all but the TB01-2, the ST80 is still very competitively priced. The newer ST82 features a common axis tourbillon similar to the Shanghai. Auto-winding is now available on both. In 2006 Sea-Gull released their ST8080 double tourbillon with one carrousel-tourbillon and one common axis. Sea-Gull's compact ST84 is currently China's smallest tourbillon movement, suitable for use in women's watches.

Dixmont DG-8000 A latecomer to the field, Dixmont-Guangzhou have focussed on auto-winding on their tourbillons. The DG-8101 is similar but with a common-axis tourbillon.

David543

Hey thanks for the info everyone! :wave:

When ive finished paying for the watch I have on order from Mary and convinced my wife I need an eleventh watch.....

So that will be next month then! :lol: I have something to research now! I have a master watch maker who will service a tourbillon, but the price............ :(

Then there is the Grand Seiko, 36000 vph, as fast as the Zenith el-primo, or totally smooth with the spring drive. Only £3k which is a snip for the quality.... I really need another job.... :rolleyes:

Edited by David543

lpv888

Hi All,

Thanks for the great input! :-D... I ordered the JLC from Mary.... I would be very interested to find out if anyone successfully can swap out the movement or mod it to be automatic. The case back looks so utilitarian...

But it looks like an amazing watch so I couldn't resist :-D haha