Sign in to follow this  
kolchak

Triumph rep

kolchak

I recently helped a friend dispose of her late father's 200+ watch collection. Unfortunately his taste/budget was shit as most were Invicta's purchased from shop NBC. She let me pick a few pieces for my time/trouble and one is this Triumph chrono (46 mm, quartz, mineral,carbon fiber dial). I'd never heard of Triumph watches but assumed it was a rep because sub dials don't function correctly. After poking around in cyberspace the I found the gen (I assume) sold for $1500 & reps were available for 200 to 300. Probably has some obvious tells but seems like a good rep since the bracelet is great & the dial looks spot on.

Anyway, it's a little big on my 7 in wrist so after some clean up I'll be listing this as up for trades.

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

http://www.ultimatejewelrystop.com/p/Trium...h-Watch/3667832

Edited by kolchak

oscarmadfish

i like that

RacingSnake

Triumph are a UK motorbike manufacturer. The logo is identical.

It was probably released as a limited edition to celebrate something or other. My Dad races Triumph bikes.

gottahaverolex

Second what racing snake said. It's a triumph motorcycles branded watch. Have no idea why anyone would pay $1500 for the gen as it's a no name watch. Maybe just because it's a limited edition collectible.

kolchak

Looked around and seems most Triumph watch models are "special editions." Not sure if anyone actually paid 1500 or if inflated MSRP is just a marketing tatics, like Invita. Now I'm curious if it's a rep or just what Triumph makes.

gottahaverolex

I was thinking the same thing, this may be the real deal. Either the chrono functions no longer work or that's how it was originally made. Cool color though! Not to keen on the band but it suits the watch I guess. For a free watch its a cool find.

kolchak

If it is a rep I'd like to see the other models that "factory" makes because it's perfect..

Kusanagi

Current Triumph watches I've seen sell for $100-$300. I believe that they are all quartz.

World of Watches has a few:

Triumph Motorcycle watches at World of Watches

I considered buying the one below at one time (it was available for $150 shipped), but decided it was a touch too "flashy" for me, and I would probably never wear it. Not to mention I do not own a Triumph motorcycle.

PVD and Gold Triumph Watch

Baldrick

It's not likely to be a rep,I can't contemplate that a factory would tool up to produce a rep of an unknown brand that has no perceived market value and or appeal.

It's more likely to be a commisioned PR piece, probably produced in a small number limited production run, say 250, with the case being a generic case that was prolly used for other low cost PR pieces, the dial and caseback would be the only significant change from regular production models, mainly used for the purposes of handing out to company clients and customers, Triumph as far as I know, were never involved in watch manufacture, it prolly had a very low manufacturing cost, how it could ever expect to achieve 1500 + I have no idea, it would require a very dedicated Triumph M/C collector to shell out that kind of money.

Sorry Kolchak, I can't agree that the bracelet is 'great', it looks like standard fare for a cheap entry level watch, inflated price to give it more appeal, dun work for me !

kolchak
It's not likely to be a rep,I can't contemplate that a factory would tool up to produce a rep of an unknown brand that has no perceived market value and or appeal.

It's more likely to be a commisioned PR piece, probably produced in a small number limited production run, say 250, with the case being a generic case that was prolly used for other low cost PR pieces, the dial and caseback would be the only significant change from regular production models, mainly used for the purposes of handing out to company clients and customers, Triumph as far as I know, were never involved in watch manufacture, it prolly had a very low manufacturing cost, how it could ever expect to achieve 1500 + I have no idea, it would require a very dedicated Triumph M/C collector to shell out that kind of money.

Sorry Kolchak, I can't agree that the bracelet is 'great', it looks like standard fare for a cheap entry level watch, inflated price to give it more appeal, dun work for me !

Your spot on. They used exact same case, dial, band in black & rose gold. I originally said bracelet was great in context of comparing to the avg rep bracelets. Knowing it's a low end gen, I agree it's average at best. I will say it feels more substantial, well built, comfortable & easier to adjust & deploy then any rep bracelet I've seen yet. Hopefully that opinion will change soon when next order arrives from robert...