Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Oscar was right

greg_r

This one is Jameo's fault as he was the first to post here about Astbury watches. I went to see what other models they produced and fell for this Asian Unitas 6497 powered skeleton watch. It was cheap, too, listing at £99 ($150), which ain't too bad for a gen that looks as good as this one! :nana:

However, I hesitated as I was just about to buy another PAM and figured that I'd better hold off for a while. The only thing was that I then saw this one listed on eBay by the main UK dealer with a start price of £49. At that price I couldn't resist, and dropped in an early bid at the lowest possible figure thinking that someone would probably beat me to it. Wrong! I was the only bidder, so this morning discovered that I'd just bought another watch. Can't complain about the price, though :rofl:

Astburyskelly.png

I'm gonna stop for a while now. Honest... Unless, of course, I find something else I can't resist... :rofl:

Pics will be forthcoming as soon as it arrives...

oscarmadfish

great for the price greg

but you will have to curb the urges and remember to put food on the table not watches lol

greg_r
great for the price greg

but you will have to curb the urges and remember to put food on the table not watches lol

hehe - it's saving up for holidays that is suffering at the moment. I gotta stop buying books too... The wife will kill me.

NFleischer

i stopped too - 52 watches. but i couldnt resist the PAM ultimate 88

on the way!

greg_r
i stopped too - 52 watches. but i couldnt resist the PAM ultimate 88

on the way!

Thanks, Noel - you've made me feel better. I've only got 17 at the moment (excluding the two in the spare parts box and ones I bought for the wife).

PAM 88 ... hmm. I haven't got one of those.... :rofl:

:rofl:

AllergyDoc
i stopped too - 52 watches. but i couldnt resist the PAM ultimate 88 on the way!

:(

You stopped but you bought a watch?

How big is that watch, Greg?

Edited by AllergyDoc

greg_r

hmm - that's a harder question to answer than you might think as I've found conflicting dimensions on this one. What makes it even more difficult is that it's a brand new model and Astbury don't even have it on their own web site yet. Anyhow, it's either 42mm or 43.5mm dependent on who you believe :(

Luthier

hmm - that's a harder question to answer than you might think as I've found conflicting dimensions on this one. What makes it even more difficult is that it's a brand new model and Astbury don't even have it on their own web site yet. Anyhow, it's either 42mm or 43.5mm dependent on who you believe :(

Get a mistress, Greg. Life is short, have an affair.

greg_r

No thanks. Wouldn't even dream of it. I'm very happily married.

I'm once divorced, once widowed (she was amazing - we were very happy, but she and our son died in a car accident many years ago) and the third is as wonderful as the second - if not more so. I might joke about some bombshell seen on the internet, but I wouldn't look twice at anyone else in real life.

Luthier

No thanks. Wouldn't even dream of it. I'm very happily married.

I'm once divorced, once widowed (she was amazing - we were very happy, but she and our son died in a car accident many years ago) and the third is as wonderful as the second - if not more so. I might joke about some bombshell seen on the internet, but I wouldn't look twice at anyone else in real life.

Feel sorry, very, very sorry for your loss, Greg. It's "close to suicide" condition, especially if a child involved. I can just imagine the horror you went thru.

Many years ago I had fiancee, and when she attended University, I bought her a car, as a gift. Next day she died in car crash.

Still can't forgive myself for this "gift".

So, I know, how did you feel. My deepest condolences.

And if you are still in love with your present wife- you're luckiest man, and God bless you both.

greg_r
Feel sorry, very, very sorry for your loss, Greg. It's "close to suicide" condition, especially if a child involved. I can just imagine the horror you went thru.

Many years ago I had fiancee, and when she attended University, I bought her a car, as a gift. Next day she died in car crash.

Still can't forgive myself for this "gift".

So, I know, how did you feel. My deepest condolences.

And if you are still in love with your present wife- you're luckiest man, and God bless you both.

Thanks, Luthier. Sorry if I put a bit of a damper on proceedings. I certainly understand how you must feel.

And yeah, I'm completely nuts about my wife. I finally re-married 5 years ago (Carole and our son died in '87) and it's the best choice I ever made. :(

Back to watches - the seller has already dispatched the watch, so I'm hoping to be able to tell AD for sure what size it is within the next day or two :gunbandana:

oscarmadfish
:thumbsup2: greg

sconehead

+1

I've just submitted an offer for the price you paid for the same watch Greg...doubt he'll go for it though...

edit: shit, I'll be buying a Pam next... :thumbsup2:

iabounty
+1

I've just submitted an offer for the price you paid for the same watch Greg...doubt he'll go for it though...

edit: shit, I'll be buying a Pam next... :thumbsup2:

You are going to fuck it up for the rest of us as usual sconehead........ We can't overwhelm the seller with lowball bids all at once or he's gonna know somethings up.......And the price will be too...... Think stealthy my friend.... As George Bush the 2nd used to say...... "Strategery".......

alphakazi

looks sweet greg! and nice size too

greg_r
+1

edit: shit, I'll be buying a Pam next... :o

:thumbsup2:

Good luck with the bid :rolleyes:

onzenuub

And where can this be found?

greg_r

on eBay uk:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASTBURY-Co-MANUAL-WO...%3A1|240%3A1318

Alternatively try the seller's website: http://www.momento-watch.com/

As Jameo has said, though, Momento's prices are generally rather high - there's an Australian seller on eBay that's often a lot cheaper, but they're not listing this particular watch at present.

sconehead

RWG1.1 official watch perhaps? :thumbsup2:

sconehead
+1

edit: shit, I'll be buying a Pam next... :o

You are going to fuck it up for the rest of us as usual sconehead........ We can't overwhelm the seller with lowball bids all at once or he's gonna know somethings up.......And the price will be too...... Think stealthy my friend.... As George Bush the 2nd used to say...... "Strategery".......

The seller accepted IA, being as stealthy as a zeppelin sometimes pays off... :heffalump: :o :rolleyes::thumbsup2:

greg_r
The seller accepted IA, being as stealthy as a zeppelin sometimes pays off... :heffalump::heffalump: :o :thumbsup2:

Woohoo! Congrats! :o :band:

That's gotta be worth bearing in mind if I ever decide I want another Astbury.....

oh hell... :rolleyes:

greg_r

Well, the watch arrived already!

Pics will have to wait until tomorrow, but I'm very pleased. It came well packaged in a very nice watch box with card outer box. The strap is a lightly-padded croco print with gold-plated buckle and very comfortable. The watch itself is beautiful, although lighter in weight than I expected. Size is about 43mm. I'm very happy with it - stunning value for money.

Full review with pics as soon as I get the chance...

oscarmadfish

enjoy greg

sconehead

How long did it take to arrive?

greg_r
How long did it take to arrive?

Less than 24 hours from payment. Paid 10am yesterday. Sent Special Delivery yesterday afternoon. Arrived 8am here (I was at work, but my wife signed for it). Seriously impressed.