Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Astbury Skeleton

greg_r

I came across this watch following a post by Jameo, who owns a couple of Astbury watches. Astbury are an English company who sell attractive chinese-sourced watches - often of unusual design - at very reasonable prices. The watches are well finished and generally excellent value for money. They're not terribly commonplace as there are only 3 dealers currently - one in the UK, one in Oz and a third in the US. Both the UK and Australian dealers are active on eBay.

Anyhow, I had done a search on eBay for Astbury - not really with much intent to buy, but just to see what was around when I came across this particular model. I'll confess that I have a thing for skeleton watches and the Unitas 6497 movement is a particular favourite (whether Swiss or Asian), so this pushed all the right buttons. It was listed at a BIN of £99 and I was very tempted to pull the trigger - only hesitating because I'd just ordered a PAM from Robert. Looking at the dealer's eBay shop, however, I saw that he had another one listed as a regular auction with a start price of £49. Not really expecting to win the auction - especially as it still had about a week to run - I threw in a bid of £55 and promptly forgot all about it, fully expecting to be out-bid. As it turned out, I was the only bidder and last Wednesday found myself the owner of yet another watch for the princely sum of £49 + shipping!

The dealer despatched the watch the same day and it arrived yesterday morning, packaged in a very nice watchbox inside a card outer box. Very swish for the price.

The watch is about 43mm but wears big. It feels a lot bigger than my Rolex Deep Sea and overall wears pretty similar to a 44mm PAM, although it's a lot lighter in weight. The movement is a highly-decorated Asian 6497 and has a small second hand in the standard Panerai position at 9. The hands are blued so, with the exception of the second hand which is a little small, are nice and easy to see. Obviously with a watch of this type, there's no lume. Mineral glass crystals are fitted front and back and the watch is gold plated (no idea how thick the plating is). It's a shame there's no AR as I think it would benefit the watch, but at the price I can't really quibble. The crown has a nice positive feel to it when winding.

The strap is a glossy, slightly padded croco-print with a gold buckle and is very comfortable. It does feel a little flimsy, but replacement Astbury straps are very inexpensive if it wears out too quickly (although I'm tempted to pick up a higher quality genuine gator strap for it at some point).

I'm very pleased indeed with the watch - it looks far higher quality than a £99 gen has any right to (my wife thought I must have spent several hundred at least until I showed her the invoice) and at the £49 I paid is just stupidly good value for money. It's possibly the dressiest watch I own, so isn't going to get that much wear - it looks wrong with anything less than a suit and may be reserved for the occasions that I take my wife out to a decent restaurant or the theatre.

Without further ado, here's the pics:

ast_s_box.jpg

ast_s_box2.jpg

ast_s_box3.jpg

ast_s_f.jpg

ast_s_r.jpg

ast_s_w.jpg

sconehead

Great watch for the price Greg, I might consider getting one myself... :lol:

greg_r
:lol:

sconehead

Are you going to post this on RWI as well?

greg_r

yup - duly posted

oscarmadfish

looks great greg and nice review :lol:

jameo210369

Enjoy her Greg, they are really well put together watches. Thanks for the pics

greg_r

I'm seriously impressed - it feels like a £5-600 watch. Thanks for making me aware of 'em in the first place, mate :lol:

AllergyDoc

Fabulous deal and a very nice looking watch. I found them on ebay at $146ish w/shipping.

bene3

wow, looks really good greg. and also a fantastic price.

phaedo
Looks good, I do like the retrograde gmt they have too http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ASTBURY-CO-GENTS-RE...1742.m153.l1262

Yep, I saw that one - it would probably have been my second choice if the skeleton wasn't available. I'm trying to resist..... :rolleyes:

Trying to resist it myself; got a watch box off these guys a few months ago, and it took a week to arrive. What is frustrating is they don't offer pick-up, and yet their depot is about 3km from my house, and still have to pay full postage. End rant.

To clarify, the AAustralian company offering them is the one I got the box off that is 3km from my house, not the one Greg got his from.

Edited by phaedo

AllergyDoc

I just ordered one of these, too. :lol: $103USD shipped. Damn good price!

greg_r

Cool, Doc. It's a lot of watch for the money, that's for sure :lol:

@Sconehead - yours must have arrived by now, yes? PICS!!!!!! :D

greg_r
Looks good, I do like the retrograde gmt they have too http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ASTBURY-CO-GENTS-RE...1742.m153.l1262

It's Quartz.

Ah - yes. Quite so. There is also a retrograde model with an auto movement, though, which was the one that was tempting me until I looked at my credit card statement for last month :lol:.

trailboss99

Nice buy for the money. Skels ain't realy my thing but I could grow to like that one.

Col.

sconehead
Cool, Doc. It's a lot of watch for the money, that's for sure :thumbsup:

@Sconehead - yours must have arrived by now, yes? PICS!!!!!! :D

Arrived this morning Greg, don't know if I should post some pics of it, because although this is the exact same watch in every detail, mine looks better than yours... :P

Must admit, I'm also quite impressed with it but as Greg has mentioned, this isn't a jeans and t-shirt watch... ^_^

edit: If Doc's getting one as well this could well become THE official forum watch...get them while they're cheap boy's...

greg_r
Arrived this morning Greg, don't know if I should post some pics of it, because although this is the exact same watch in every detail, mine looks better than yours... ^_^

Guess you must have left the TRL on, eh? :P

Must admit, I'm also quite impressed with it but as Greg has mentioned, this isn't a jeans and t-shirt watch... :thumbsup:

oddly, that's exactly what I wore mine with when going to the pub for lunch last Saturday, but I'll admit it was a little OTT... It's the only watch I've owned that I catch people staring at...

jameo210369

I have found that they are great watches, the movements are great and the price is stunning. The bestplace to get them is on Ebay AU, you get a better deal for your money.

greg_r

hmm - well as it happens, I just bought another Astbury... via eBay AU.

astbury2.jpeg

I've seen this same watch under another manufacturer's name at Werner's flying watches for £149.

More info when it arrives.

greg_r

Same guy. Difference is that the one I ordered was listed at £30 - which looking at his current listings may have been a one-off as they're mostly double the price or more now. As well as the one you're looking at, I see he also has a black face version at about £40-ish, though...

oscarmadfish

greg is an addict ;)