Sign in to follow this  
SteveS1221

Goose neck?

SteveS1221

Hey guys

I'm about to buy a Pam with the seconds dial at 9. I have no clue what I'm talking about with watches or Pams so I'm hoping someone can help. Does that keep accurate time? The dial is so small it looks like it would easily be off track. It is manual wind from Mary. Also, she says I can get it with a "goose neck" or without. What's the difference?

I can send a pic via email if anyone wantsto see it but I can't put pic on here with my phone and that's all I have.

Member X

Check out the Movements Guide in the Watch Repair section :lol: Will give you an idea of all the different movement options!

It sounds like you have a 6497 there - they're an ancient design movement and pretty bombproof, they don't go wrong often!

The Swan Neck is a piece of metal (shaped like the neck of a swan, hence the name) that is supposed to offer finer adjustment of the timekeeping but, in my opinion (IMO) they're not really worth it unless you're spending $200+ on a really accurate version. You won't notice any real difference in timekeeping and when it's on your wrist people can't see the back of the watch anyway! :brightlight:

MikeMcNair

bombproof is true!!!

as for the swan neck, it litterally is a piece of metal that looks like a birds head... its mostly for looks (i prefer it)

here is a normal one....

unitas_6497.jpg

and here is the one with the swan neck (notice the metal strip, that is bent around the micro adjustment for timing accuracy, it looks like a ducks head)

6497-pam-style-movement-with-swan-neck-h3-cannon-pin_110556279068.jpg

Member X

Thanks Mike, I'm on the phone and was being too lazy to find pics :lol: lol

Balad1
bombproof is true!!!

as for the swan neck, it litterally is a piece of metal that looks like a birds head... its mostly for looks (i prefer it)

here is a normal one....

unitas_6497.jpg

and here is the one with the swan neck (notice the metal strip, that is bent around the micro adjustment for timing accuracy, it looks like a ducks head)

6497-pam-style-movement-with-swan-neck-h3-cannon-pin_110556279068.jpg

I don't see any damn swan or duck's head...

Is this like looking at the clouds in the sky and seeing puppies and kitty cats?

SteveS1221

Wow thanks guys. This site is freakin great! Yea I had sent the money over only to find out the rep cannot be found. When I first started looking into watches I wasn't too keen on the Pams but they have since grown on me. I like the black strap black pvd look and that's what I'll go for. Only thing is I have some extra money left over (I had sent 220 and the Pam is 145) and the extra is not enough for a cheapie unless Mary takes $10 off a price. If not, I'll be happy with the Pam only. I can't wait to get it.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate it.

Steve

Member X

Is this like looking at the clouds in the sky and seeing puppies and kitty cats?

lol :johng:

Can you see it here?

PVD640.jpg

Balad1

lol :johng:

Can you see it here?

PVD640.jpg

Thanks, I'm down with you now Brother, lol.

Member X

lol

Good stuff! :johng:

SteveS1221

Guys quick question. On Marys website the numbers are white but in the pre-ship pictures they are really green. I know there is lume, but do all rep Pams have green numbers like that that are lumed?

MikeMcNair

should look white at day, green at night. post pix for us to see.

ted, if you dont know what a goos e neck is by now you should submit your resume for the GULAAG, i know for a FACT they are accepting applications !!

Balad1
should look white at day, green at night. post pix for us to see.

ted, if you dont know what a goos e neck is by now you should submit your resume for the GULAAG, i know for a FACT they are accepting applications !!

Bro, am familiar with what a goose neck looks like, it's just that your photos sucked...

Thank goodness for X.

SteveS1221

cid:7DA998AF-2678-4019-9076-C2A0DFF91104/IMG_9668.jpg

SteveS1221
1302119502.jpg

Rav747

Bro, am familiar with what a goose neck looks like, it's just that your photos sucked...

When I first inquired about the swan neck and was totally lost till either X or ska zoomed in for another shot and tabled it. Noob, I was and still am.

Man that watch looks noiceeeeee!

Edited by Rav747

Balad1
1302119502.jpg

Nice looking watch...another for my list.

SteveS1221

That's not supposed to be green like that right?

Balad1
That's not supposed to be green like that right?

Don't know but as a PVD version I like it that way and wouldn't buy it otherwise.

jameo210369

Yes they are, as above, I think they make the watch.

SteveS1221

Man, why would you want a cheap looking glow in the dark green on a really nice watch? My first purchase has been sub a hassle..

Balad1
Man, why would you want a cheap looking glow in the dark green on a really nice watch? My first purchase has been sub a hassle..

Sell it and buy another, no worries.

Kusanagi

For the ultimate in clarification of the term "Goose Neck" see the photo below. The noted (if somewhat short) Professor of Horology, Colin Knowles, is pointing out the item in question.

ColinandHorace.jpg

Actually, that is my son petting our very tame gander, "Horace", about 16 years ago. The feathery critter was more attuned to humans than most dogs. He would sometimes hide by the door and dash in when it was opened. (Horace, not Colin...we NEVER let our son inside.) :)