millifoo

A PAM Homage Smartwatch? Why not!

millifoo

After avoiding getting a smartwatch, I saw that new Samsung Gear Sport and immediatly thought... uh.... that's pretty darn close to a Luminor case. Some photoshopping later, and...

SkJ5SXg.jpg

Well, that convinced me... I ordered one, it arrived last week, and damn if this isn't a really REALLY nice watch. Especially with an homeage watch dial :).

Anyway, thought I'd share. 

Glaude

Pretty close indeed !

You can easily find some Panerai Watchface for Tizen on the web, and you're all set !
Or you can make your own design with apps like Facer, Watchmaker or Gear Watch Designer.

black263

tabuktime
9 hours ago, millifoo said:

After avoiding getting a smartwatch, I saw that new Samsung Gear Sport and immediatly thought... uh.... that's pretty darn close to a Luminor case. Some photoshopping later, and...

SkJ5SXg.jpg

Well, that convinced me... I ordered one, it arrived last week, and damn if this isn't a really REALLY nice watch. Especially with an homeage watch dial :).

Anyway, thought I'd share. 

Got any photos of the watch you got? With the PAM faces applied...

:ttiwwop:

Foxindebox

That does look rather nice... Lets see some pics of your one please :)

BadPickle
42 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

That does look rather nice... Lets see some pics of your one please :)

:giggle: 

Foxindebox
9 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

:giggle: 

:lol:

BadApple

The only change I would make with this is removing the word "NOT" in the thread title.

BadPickle
1 hour ago, BADAPPLE12 said:

The only change I would make with this is removing the word "NOT" in the thread title.

And adding the words “the fuck would you” 

splke
39 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

And adding the words “the fuck would you” 

:rofl: 

BadApple

daduntsh.gif

millifoo
On 11/25/2017 at 01:17, tabuktime said:

Got any photos of the watch you got? With the PAM faces applied...

Oh dear, you're going to make me get out of my comfy chair. Ok... here goes:  for the "why not" crowd, as opposed to the "why" and "why the fuck would you" crowds:

uewAUZt.jpg

And a potato quality wrist shot:

d5F7n1R.jpg

Note that I have *tiny* wrists... this is one of the reasons why I like the watch, at only 42mm.  I've had 3 other PAM homage watches over the years, and they just looked ridiculously huge on me.  

Edited by millifoo

millifoo

One more side note: the watch has an "always on display" (AOD)... so this watch face is always showing.  I can't stand the older generation watches where they'd go black all the time, and you had to bring your wrist up to your face to get the dial to display.   I believe most Android watches and the Tizen watches now all have AOD displays. The Apple Watch is the lone holdout there.

tabuktime

Actually....

:Thinking:

:Applause:

McGilli

Love it! Shit yeah, why not indeed! My smartwatch has an AOD but it's older so the resolution wouldn't be able to make it look that good. Things like this can only get better in the future!

Can't wait til DHG has $20 smart watches with those faces pre-installed :) 

Nikosaldente

Wow!

That's one sexy  smart watch!

Enjoy wearing it in the best of health mate!

Glaude
6 hours ago, millifoo said:

One more side note: the watch has an "always on display" (AOD)... so this watch face is always showing.  I can't stand the older generation watches where they'd go black all the time, and you had to bring your wrist up to your face to get the dial to display.   I believe most Android watches and the Tizen watches now all have AOD displays. The Apple Watch is the lone holdout there.

Yes most of the Tizen smart watch uses AMOLED displays so they can afford to have an AOD function (energy saving), however, you can't display the same number of details and animation in AOD than in the regular mode but for a Panerai Watchface that's not a big deal.
There's always a risk of a screen burning if your AOD mode on your watch-face if it isn't well made.

6 hours ago, McGilli said:

Love it! Shit yeah, why not indeed! My smartwatch has an AOD but it's older so the resolution wouldn't be able to make it look that good. Things like this can only get better in the future!

Can't wait til DHG has $20 smart watches with those faces pre-installed :) 

Already is, well sort of, you can find smartwatch on Ali and DHgate for dirt cheap on which you can put any face you want, including Panerai or others, you can check a pretty good YouTube channel about that : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYeF5HjQaEr_b5TAUu7VCfw

McGilli
3 hours ago, Glaude said:

Yes most of the Tizen smart watch uses AMOLED displays so they can afford to have an AOD function (energy saving), however, you can't display the same number of details and animation in AOD than in the regular mode but for a Panerai Watchface that's not a big deal.
There's always a risk of a screen burning if your AOD mode on your watch-face isn't well made.

Already is, well sort of, you can find smartwatch on Ali and DHgate for dirt cheap on which you can put any face you want, including Panerai or others, you can check a pretty good YouTube channel about that : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYeF5HjQaEr_b5TAUu7VCfw

I didn't realize how nicely theu have progressed with watch faces on those... Funny thing. When I bought my Garmin F3 - i pretty well told myself I would never, ever by a 'regular' watch again. No need since I had hundreds of watch faces to choose from... But.... Keep coming back to Analog!

Usmcxsniper

Hey where did you get that Panerai watchface? I just bought a Samsung Gear Sport watch and the only thing I saw was a Folex watchface that's modeled after a submariner. 

Glaude
10 minutes ago, Usmcxsniper said:

Hey where did you get that Panerai watchface? I just bought a Samsung Gear Sport watch and the only thing I saw was a Folex watchface that's modeled after a submariner. 

You can use an app like Watchmaker or Facer, then go to this site and register (free) : https://www.watchfaces.be/ 

You'll find tutorials and a lot of watch faces, just use the search function on the site and type the brand you want, otherwise you will browse a lot of rubbish watch faces for pages and pages.

McGilli
2 hours ago, Glaude said:

You can use an app like Watchmaker or Facer, then go to this site and register (free) : https://www.watchfaces.be/ 

Wow - I had a quick look through the Rolex - some of those are really nicely done.... Even saw the Explorer II I just bought! I could spend hours on that site....

tabuktime

Worryingly, I get this when I go to the watchfaces website...

H2sa5nM.jpg

Glaude

Yeah the webmaster of this website is a total scumbag, but the site is safe I can personally guarantee it, I've downloaded almost every watch face from there since he started his website.
You can try to search for Watchface on google+ there's a lot of public and private groups that share the same content, this website as for only advantage to be easy to browse.

You can also search for the app Watchland there's a lot of the same design, but I find the app and the website to be sluggish and not very well made, over complicated.

You can't get any virus or malware with a watch face download, those are only rebranded .zip file containing only xml and image files, there's no executable code in there.

millifoo
16 hours ago, Usmcxsniper said:

The particular one in the photo is using the Facer app, using this watch face:

https://www.facer.io/watchface/0KQJvwMdNP

millifoo
20 hours ago, Glaude said:

There's always a risk of a screen burning if your AOD mode on your watch-face if it isn't well made.

I don't know about Android watches, but Samsung/Tizen watches have an anti-burn in feature -- it moves the watch face around (in different directions) by a couple pixels every minute so that the same pixels aren't on all the time.  I'm also changing the face every day - hopefully between the two it'll avoid burn-in.

I don't know how well this will work in the long run, but then again... I view these things as consumables much like phones - if I get 3 years out of it I'll be happy.