AP_Superman

Best rose gold rep?

AP_Superman

It appears the HBB v6 is the best brushed rose gold rep. What is the best polished one? I'm still on the fence. I'm veeeery close to choosing the HBB but I'm afraid I might think it's too dull once I see it in person. Also, what's the durability/quality of the actual plated gold used? I heard gold plated items start to wear down visually over the years and it's why PVC gold has game along. I don't want to get a RG watch just for it to look dull later on (unless I actually beat it up which is different). Also, is it actually real gold used in the plating like other gold plated watches?

Inpakuto

Usually not real gold used, just a mixture of different metals. Longevity should be fine as long as you don't bang the watch and wear it every day. josh did a gold purity test of his watches before, but idk if we can trust him

AP_Superman
11 minutes ago, Inpakuto said:

Usually not real gold used, just a mixture of different metals. Longevity should be fine as long as you don't bang the watch and wear it every day. josh did a gold purity test of his watches before, but idk if we can trust him

For gen watches it is actual gold used when it's plated. It's just a very thin layer put over the base metal. I assume reps use the same since it is a cheap process to get it done.

RepGuy

The factories plate these reps with the cheapest material possible. There was an old RWI thread I saw in the past they went over this, but you never know what your rep is really plated with.

Some have had great longevity out of their plated reps, and others have had bad experiences. The bottom line is, you really don't know what you'll get, as quality varies batch or batch, and even within watches in the same batch.

AP_Superman
14 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

The factories plate these reps with the cheapest material possible. There was an old RWI thread I saw in the past they went over this, but you never know what your rep is really plated with.

Some have had great longevity out of their plated reps, and others have had bad experiences. The bottom line is, you really don't know what you'll get, as quality varies batch or batch, and even within watches in the same batch.

I see. I was looking at threads on the HBB RG/Ceramic and it seems like they got the color very close to gen. But now I'm on the fence again lol

Reaper2981

I feel all gold plated/wrapped endup becoming dull or scratched if you wear them regularly, if you baby it you can get some good life out of it

ayylmao123

You can most likely get at least a year or two out of daily use as long as you don't sweat acid and by that time a better version or a different watch will come along.

AP_Superman

Is there a method for cleaning gold reps? I'm guessing that wiping finger prints and whatnot off with a watch cloth after each use isn't advised?

christo14

The ARF Rolex Daytona 116515 actually looks really good and is super comfortable to wear. Chocolate colour dial is really close to gen also but numbers are way off. Noisey rotor cancelling mod is a must as its so loud you can hear it spin whilst walking down the street. I regret selling mine, should have modded it with a gen dial and serviced it with an ETA rotor added. $20k watch for 10% of the value :))))

Omaaouni

Thanks for the insight on the plating. I was about tu pull the trigger on an AP RG 15400 in blue dial. The plating longevity is a deal breaker for me...