Sign in to follow this  
WatchMe007

How much is too much for a replica?

WatchMe007

First of all, I am thrilled to find this site.

So here is my first post. It is a question. Wrapped in possibly an embarrassing admission.

How much is too much for a good replica watch?

I have recently acquired 3 that I am so far VERY happy with. They were not from a trusted dealer, and right after I received the last of my watches they were "shut down" by Chanel for offering handbags, I guess.

Watch #1 is a "Panerai Luminor GMT" with a stainless bracelet and a "40 hour power reserve". I LOVE the thing. It was $300 and seems rock solid. It has an Asian movement that you can see through the back. An expert would recognize the movement to not be correct, as well as the power reserve not being 72 hours for this model.

#2 is a Hublot F1 Watch in silver...about $300

It clearly has a quartz movement, but it is pretty nice also.

#3 is a Rolex Daytona with a slate face...again about $300 (I have a real Explorer II and a Date just and there is no way they "feel" any different than this Daytona. I am stunned. I have handed all three to a couple of friends and posed the challenge. Tell me which one is real. Not experts, but they can't tell a difference.

Each of these was among the higher priced watches this place offered, and so far I am stunned by the quality. But I have no idea if I over paid. My only experience with these type of watches in the past was $50 versions that were NOT the same as the real thing in any way.

So...what is the deal?

Did I pay way too much? I read the submariner thread and it sounds like if you want a really high quality watch it is not unreasonable to pay $300 or $400. What is the most you have paid for a replica?

Maybe I need to start some new threads...LOL.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Amit

bloody hell you definately overpaid for your quartz hublot.

jdoe

All them watches out there I did not buy were all too much, especially all them $50 ones.

On the other hand I have one on order for about $900 ($700 watch + $200 Strap) that was right for me (I hope).

Bottom line, if you're happy with the deal you didn't pay too much.

jdoe

Double, sorry

Edited by jdoe

Luthier
bloody hell you definately overpaid for your quartz hublot.

...and as twice as much for 21j PAM.

Hublot Quartz... cost about 3 times less than you paid.

I don't know, what movement in your Tona, but if it's from the same source - there's definitely overpaid about $200.

So, total loss is about $600+.

graman

There are nice pams out there for good prices...check out Robert...(prestigewatchco), and they're very good quality.

If you're super anal, then you'd pay about $300 + for the "absolutely perfect in every way except the .07 micron difference in the crown guard wank :wank:" that nobody but the purist nazi will ever spot.

The daytona?...I don't wear them or like them much, so I'll leave it to the experts.

The Hublot?...............I'm glad you like it...but you had a job done on you there...too much for a quartz movement, but if you like the watch, then no harm done!

Welcome to the nuthouse, btw! :D and as you say, if you're happy with it, then you didn't pay too much....

Ska

Ok first of all if you're happy and have actually received half-decent reps then you've done a HELL of a lot better than some scam victims who've ended up with either complete $20 crap or even nothing whatsoever for their hundreds of dollars.

However that doesn't mean that you can't do a HELL of a lot better next time by looking around here and going the way of the trusted dealers.

To give you an example of what's available from our dealers, here's a quick run-down of some different versions of the watches you bought at different price brackets. Should be able to give you a better idea of how yours holds up against whats really out there.

1. Panerai Luminor GMT.

Version 1

First here's a top of the line version with fully functioning clone Valjoux 7750 GMT movement seated in a steel movement ring, a VERY accurate case with flush Crown Guard Pin (A big giveaway on cheaper reps) highly finished strap and a nicely engraved rotor (the movement still wouldn't fool an expert but its a very nice touch.) It will also have a Sapphire Crystal

You can see the quality of the dial, hands and cyclops over the date is also very good. And the colour of lume material on the numerals is almost white, not green like cheaper reps.

This one goes for between $360 and $430 depending on which dealer you choose

PAN-2008-10-08-01-01_enl.JPG

PAN-2008-10-08-01-06_enl.JPG

Version 2

Next we have a middle of the road version of the same model. The obvious differences are the rounded pin on the crown guard, and greener lume on the dial. There will also be other issues such as CG fit, the crown position itself, the quality of the deployant strap and case back engraving etc. (Although these are rarely consistent and there's always the possibility of getting a really 'good' one or a not so good one.) The crystal is also Sapphire on this version but the cyclops magnification isn't as good.

This version also houses an Asian Valjoux 7750 but with a bare rotor and runs for around the $190-$230 mark depending on dealer.

The photos below are of a Luminor power reserve NOT a GMT but this watch is at the same price point so the features are the same.

8227-58382-thickbox.jpg

8227-58388-thickbox.jpg

Version 3/4

Now for two cheapies. The first one you can see immediately the cheap green lume and horrible CG pin, the case back is also completely wrong as is the bezel. This one is loaded with a cheap asian 21j movement and runs for around $70 with a mineral glass crystal and a cyclops which doesn't really magnify at all!

1147-28993-thickbox.jpg

1147-2789-thickbox.jpg

Cheapie 2 goes for around the $100-120 mark and has a display back showing the Asian 21j movement with quite a nicely finished rotor for such a cheap movement (many similar models have a cheap sticker over the rotor with Panerai text on it.) However it also has mineral glass like the cheaper version and the cheap green lume, incorrect hands, case, dial and crown guard still ruin it in my opinion.

2149-29990-thickbox.jpg

2149-9786-thickbox.jpg

2. Hublot King Power F1

Version 1

These versions run for between $300 and $380. If Hublots are your thing then these are THE NUTS in terms of rep quality. The pics should say it all, although there are of course tiny flaws, overall the attention to detail at this level is staggering. This version is fitted with the Clone 7750 movement like the top end panerais. Sapphire glass, very clean machining, PVD coating on the bezel insert and a VERY high standard of finish down to details like the edge banding on the straps etc. In fact - the more I look at this, the more I want one. (But I hate myself for saying that.)

7468-48153-thickbox.jpg

7468-48157-thickbox.jpg

Version 2

Sadly this is where you really got stiffed. The quartz King Power models are just nothing in comparison to version 1 above. Sloppy machining, a cheap printed dial, closed case-back to hide the ugly movement, generic cheaply finished strap, mineral glass etc etc etc...... Unless I'm very much mistaken this is what you have and sadly these generally go for between $80 and $150 at the most. Checkout the horrible state of the flathead screws holding down the case-back.

HBB-2010110505-01_enl.JPG

HBB-2010110505-04_enl.JPG

3. Rolex Daytona

Version 1

This is the top-end Daytona at the moment with modified A7750 movement so the running seconds subdial is at 6 correct to the gen. All the usual refinements such as sapphire glass, beautifully finished dial and bracelet with correct clasp and links. Well fitting lugs and correct case-back are a big tell of whether you have a winner or a turkey. Amazingly these are so popular that the price for the top of the line version is only $180-220 ($220 is for the Pro-Hunter PVD coated Daytona 2009 model) Of course you can pay a little more for a two tone or gold version but not by much.

RLX-116520-WHT-01_enl.JPG

RLX-116520-WHT-04_enl.JPG

Pro Hunter:

ROLEX-2009-03-30-02-02_enl.JPG

ROLEX-2009-03-30-02-05_enl.JPG

Version 2 The Asian 21j version of the Daytona is still very good for the price, I have owned both the cheap and expensive versions of this rep and both could pass scrutiny by the uneducated eye but on closer inspection there are severe flaws with the cheapie. Mineral crystal, non-existent lume even compared to other reps, wrong shape case-back (usually with Daytona 24hr flag engraving) Non-functional chronos and a MUCH cheaper stamped bracelet. Oh this one goes for between $50 and $70.

775-28651-thickbox.jpg

775-1054-thickbox.jpg

Anyway Hope this helps.

All the best

Ska :D

dingle

What ska said.

Ska

;) - lurker!

You see that - see how I'm earning my post count!! :D

dave47

Ska!

What an excellent dissertation for a young noob!! I'm taking notes and placing in my "Favorites" folder. YOU are the model of what a good RWG forum member is like!! Congrats!!

dave

:D

Ok first of all if you're happy and have actually received half-decent reps then you've done a HELL of a lot better than some scam victims who've ended up with either complete $20 crap or even nothing whatsoever for their hundreds of dollars.

However that doesn't mean that you can't do a HELL of a lot better next time by looking around here and going the way of the trusted dealers.

To give you an example of what's available from our dealers, here's a quick run-down of some different versions of the watches you bought at different price brackets. Should be able to give you a better idea of how yours holds up against whats really out there.

1. Panerai Luminor GMT.

Version 1

First here's a top of the line version with fully functioning clone Valjoux 7750 GMT movement seated in a steel movement ring, a VERY accurate case with flush Crown Guard Pin (A big giveaway on cheaper reps) highly finished strap and a nicely engraved rotor (the movement still wouldn't fool an expert but its a very nice touch.) It will also have a Sapphire Crystal

You can see the quality of the dial, hands and cyclops over the date is also very good. And the colour of lume material on the numerals is almost white, not green like cheaper reps.

This one goes for between $360 and $430 depending on which dealer you choose

PAN-2008-10-08-01-01_enl.JPG

PAN-2008-10-08-01-06_enl.JPG

Version 2

Next we have a middle of the road version of the same model. The obvious differences are the rounded pin on the crown guard, and greener lume on the dial. There will also be other issues such as CG fit, the crown position itself, the quality of the deployant strap and case back engraving etc. (Although these are rarely consistent and there's always the possibility of getting a really 'good' one or a not so good one.) The crystal is also Sapphire on this version but the cyclops magnification isn't as good.

This version also houses an Asian Valjoux 7750 but with a bare rotor and runs for around the $190-$230 mark depending on dealer.

The photos below are of a Luminor power reserve NOT a GMT but this watch is at the same price point so the features are the same.

8227-58382-thickbox.jpg

8227-58388-thickbox.jpg

Version 3/4

Now for two cheapies. The first one you can see immediately the cheap green lume and horrible CG pin, the case back is also completely wrong as is the bezel. This one is loaded with a cheap asian 21j movement and runs for around $70 with a mineral glass crystal and a cyclops which doesn't really magnify at all!

1147-28993-thickbox.jpg

1147-2789-thickbox.jpg

Cheapie 2 goes for around the $100-120 mark and has a display back showing the Asian 21j movement with quite a nicely finished rotor for such a cheap movement (many similar models have a cheap sticker over the rotor with Panerai text on it.) However it also has mineral glass like the cheaper version and the cheap green lume, incorrect hands, case, dial and crown guard still ruin it in my opinion.

2149-29990-thickbox.jpg

2149-9786-thickbox.jpg

2. Hublot King Power F1

Version 1

These versions run for between $300 and $380. If Hublots are your thing then these are THE NUTS in terms of rep quality. The pics should say it all, although there are of course tiny flaws, overall the attention to detail at this level is staggering. This version is fitted with the Clone 7750 movement like the top end panerais. Sapphire glass, very clean machining, PVD coating on the bezel insert and a VERY high standard of finish down to details like the edge banding on the straps etc. In fact - the more I look at this, the more I want one. (But I hate myself for saying that.)

7468-48153-thickbox.jpg

7468-48157-thickbox.jpg

Version 2

Sadly this is where you really got stiffed. The quartz King Power models are just nothing in comparison to version 1 above. Sloppy machining, a cheap printed dial, closed case-back to hide the ugly movement, generic cheaply finished strap, mineral glass etc etc etc...... Unless I'm very much mistaken this is what you have and sadly these generally go for between $80 and $150 at the most. Checkout the horrible state of the flathead screws holding down the case-back.

HBB-2010110505-01_enl.JPG

HBB-2010110505-04_enl.JPG

3. Rolex Daytona

Version 1

This is the top-end Daytona at the moment with modified A7750 movement so the running seconds subdial is at 6 correct to the gen. All the usual refinements such as sapphire glass, beautifully finished dial and bracelet with correct clasp and links. Well fitting lugs and correct case-back are a big tell of whether you have a winner or a turkey. Amazingly these are so popular that the price for the top of the line version is only $180-220 ($220 is for the Pro-Hunter PVD coated Daytona 2009 model) Of course you can pay a little more for a two tone or gold version but not by much.

RLX-116520-WHT-01_enl.JPG

RLX-116520-WHT-04_enl.JPG

Pro Hunter:

ROLEX-2009-03-30-02-02_enl.JPG

ROLEX-2009-03-30-02-05_enl.JPG

Version 2 The Asian 21j version of the Daytona is still very good for the price, I have owned both the cheap and expensive versions of this rep and both could pass scrutiny by the uneducated eye but on closer inspection there are severe flaws with the cheapie. Mineral crystal, non-existent lume even compared to other reps, wrong shape case-back (usually with Daytona 24hr flag engraving) Non-functional chronos and a MUCH cheaper stamped bracelet. Oh this one goes for between $50 and $70.

775-28651-thickbox.jpg

775-1054-thickbox.jpg

Anyway Hope this helps.

All the best

Ska ;)

Luthier

Dave, is it really necessary to post all the pictures again?

@Ska - bro, you have endless patience, my hat is off.

I think if they sold him quartz for $300, I am 100% sure they'll not sell him Ultimate PAM with A7750 for $300, I'm sure it's 21j. Same applied for Daytona. I hope I'm wrong...

Del

+1

Nice job Ska!

(Now I want an F1 Hublot B))

gtwc

Ska - what a brilliant post and a great answer to the OPs quezzie.

Ever thought of doing a PhD dissertation on 'Variances in Replica Watch models quality' - after all,

being in Cambridge, you're probably at the right place!

Ska

Lol. No probs. Least l could do.

Luth +1000 I totally agree. The Pam the OP got is almost certainly 21j at scammer price and the Hublot DEFINITELY is. The Daytona could be decent but we'll have to wait for pics.

So er...... Yeah Dude.

Post some pics!!!!

WatchMe007

I think if they sold him quartz for $300, I am 100% sure they'll not sell him Ultimate PAM with A7750 for $300, I'm sure it's 21j. Same applied for Daytona. I hope I'm wrong...

Wow.

Amazing info. Thanks.

Like I said, my first post might include an embarrassing admission. LOL.

The Hublot looks identical to the first pic...but without the beautiful movement. I want THAT watch. Mine has the same back as the second pic. So I will call that a $150 noob mistake.

Where can I get that first Hublot? I want it. I am a huge F1 fan. I want that watch.

The PAM? Well, again, the front of the watch is at least as nice as any I have seen...BUT the movement is the same as the cheaper version. Another $150. Doh!

I want a Panerai with the more authentic and sophisticated movement.

The Daytona? Cosmetically it is awesome. The running second hand is the dial at 6 o'clock, and the stopwatch function works properly with a loud and solid click when you start...just like Rolex says is the indication of the real watch. So it might actually have the better movement inside.

The good news? I found you guys and will get better deals on my next watches.

Should I post the name of the site whereI bought the watches? The fact that they offered a watch for $300 that could be purchased for $150 and I bit is MY fault, although it is frustrating when you are willing to pay for quality and you don't get what you think you are bargaining for.

BTW, I just received a "Pro Hunter" GMT Master with a stainless bracelet (with the black "custom finish") that I paid another $300 for. It is also cosmetically gorgeous. All of the functions seem correct. Again, the guts might be second rate although they advertise that it is:

MOVEMENT: Swiss ETA 2836-2 Modified with GMT Hand Adj

CASE DIAMETER: 40.5mm

THICKNESS: 13mm

DIAL COLOR: Black Dial with Lume Markers

CASE MATERIAL: Black Thick PVD Coated on Solid 316L Stainless Steel (Oversize New Version Case 1:1)

BRACELET: Black PVD Coated Solid 316L Stainless Steel New Version Rolesor Bracelet

FRONT GLASS: Sapphire

BACK GLASS: Solid case back with detailed Pro-Hunter Engraving

BEZEL: Bi -directional - 12 Clicks (Full Ceramic Sandwich Numeral Bezel)

HACK MOVEMENT: Yes

CLASP TYPE: Flip Lock

DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 position

GMT HAND: GMT Hand is Adjustable via Crown

Waterproofed from Factory to 30m

Correct New version Rolesor Bracelet with Serials on End Links

Engraved Rehaut with ROLEXROLEX with Z Serial

So the bottom line take away seems to be that you can get and incredible watch for $300 and since I have been happy with the ones I overpaid for, I should be delighted by the next watch I buy.

Edited by WatchMe007

David543

Awesome post Ska. But now I want that Hublot and Daytona.... :bugeyes:

WatchMe007
Lol. No probs. Least l could do.

Luth +1000 I totally agree. The Pam the OP got is almost certainly 21j at scammer price and the Hublot DEFINITELY is. The Daytona could be decent but we'll have to wait for pics.

So er...... Yeah Dude.

Post some pics!!!!

OK...Pics...from a noob watch photag...

In a gallery because i can't figure out how to upload/ link.

http://gallery.me.com/daven007#100008&...k&view=grid

Comments welcome. Boxes came with warranty cards and full documentation and were extra cost. I recently saw a Panerai warranty card sold on eBay for over $100.

Edited by WatchMe007

Frankt8242

Great post, but.....How did the Pam 090 with the Seagull ST25-30 get into the mix..???...BTW...This is normally an @ $100.00 retail piece, and one of the nicest asian movements in existence!!

Ska

Frank - did you not read the sentence above the photo?? Its from the same factory as the mid-range GMT but had a better photo for demonstration purposes. This is explained in the post. And that version of the 090 with the seagull doesn't go for $100 because of the upgraded case, dial and deployant. You're right about it being a nice movement though! Aces.

WatchMe007 - Nice to see a fellow MobileMe user on board! Nice photos mate.

I'm afraid you've got the second hublot - not the first. No reason to be disappointed though because it looks great to me from your photos. Look at the black bezel insert in your pictures and how much of the bezel it takes up. The insert on the good version is actually smaller in diameter. Also the recesses around the bezel screws are bigger in the cheap version which matches yours, and the screws themselves are not properly chamfered or stepped up against the bezel insert. HOWEVER you didn't mention you'd also got display boxes for your cash. If those were included in the price then you've got even more reason to be happy!!!

WatchMe007
WatchMe007 - Nice to see a fellow MobileMe user on board! Nice photos mate.

I'm afraid you've got the second hublot - not the first. No reason to be disappointed though because it looks great to me from your photos. Look at the black bezel insert in your pictures and how much of the bezel it takes up. The insert on the good version is actually smaller in diameter. Also the recesses around the bezel screws are bigger in the cheap version which matches yours, and the screws themselves are not properly chamfered or stepped up against the bezel insert. HOWEVER you didn't mention you'd also got display boxes for your cash. If those were included in the price then you've got even more reason to be happy!!!

The display boxes were not included, and I bought them from a different site.

I see the differences you mention in the Hublot.

I would like to get the nicer version because I really like the watch. Maybe sell the quartz to someone for a killer price. Or maybe I will go for a rose gold Big Bang with a nice movement and keep the quartz as a "tier 2" watch. LOL. I wear it when I watch F1.

Luthier
Great post, but.....How did the Pam 090 with the Seagull ST25-30 get into the mix..???...BTW...This is normally an @ $100.00 retail piece, and one of the nicest asian movements in existence!!

It's, actually, Dongfen 21J beautified mov't, I have the same watch. But why there's "GMT" on dial???

Anyway, as I said - around $600 lost.

Slim

Great info there, ska - thanks much.

WatchMe007

It's, actually, Dongfen 21J beautified mov't, I have the same watch. But why there's "GMT" on dial???

Anyway, as I said - around $600 lost.

It is exactly like the PAM 321 in my 2010 Panerai catalogue...but with a 40 hour reserve instead of 72 indicated on the face.

Are we talking about the same thing?

PAM321.jpeg