lliu31

Beater Reps

lliu31

Reps being reps, I know we’re supposed to baby these things. Keep them away from water, don’t abuse the Chrono functions, etc etc. however, have any of you used your reps as everyday beaters and totally disregarded all rules and see them hold up nicely? For me, that would be my Noob V7 Ceramic sub. What are yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonyh7

Most reps are pretty robust. You can't assume that they are water resistant, but you can have them pressure tested and if necessary resealed if you just have to swim with them. If they take a hard knock they will break. But then so will most gens.

lliu31
Most reps are pretty robust. You can't assume that they are water resistant, but you can have them pressure tested and if necessary resealed if you just have to swim with them. If they take a hard knock they will break. But then so will most gens.

I started this hobby about 2 years ago with AliExpress and DHGate reps. Those reps were so bad that if you they’d break from just looking at it too long. I’m impressed with the build quality of reps nowadays. You’re definitely right about routine grease/sealing and dry water testing. I just wish it was more convenient for me locally. Every time i have to ship it out to a modder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg_r

My oldest rep is around 18 years old now. I wore it for around 6-7 years straight as my daily beater after first buying it. It got beaten to hell (to the point that I eventually swapped it into a newer case), but it still runs... (Rolex Day/Date 21J) 

SteveA

Mines a DSSD maybe 5 years old 21j runs like a dream,swim ,shower,gym,you name it.Spruce the bracelet up now and again,as well as the paint on the bezel and a couple of pearls .I think it will go forever,very robust .

PekeloB

I've got a Sub 18k YG, which was a daily beater for 10 years, then left in a drawer for a couple of years.

I own it now for 26 years, never had it opened for service until last year. Was really surprised that it looked like new(so was the watchmaker :) ). Movement is a 17 jewels Swiss fast beater. 

Still enjoying this watch, the dial had got a nice patina, the crystal some scratches but that 18k gold feeling... ;)

5qonuLB.pngthis one was my prettiest and one of my cheapest reps. People stared at it from 40 yards away like if it was the most luxurious thing they ever saw. The blue-purple dial and the bright steel were magnificent. People thought it’s gen because it looked so luxurious. On the other hand people never noticed my higher end reps and never understood the value of them as black dial watches look simple. 

It was waterproof but I probably hit it against something while diving so the mineral glass crystal broke :( 

Downside of the quartz rep were the cheap bracelet; looks good, but feels awful and not smooth at all; bad date alignment, bad date enlarger, bad dial print and the type of movement.

I was lucky with this one for having been so waterproof ( 15 fathoms without problems). I had the same watch in black and water came in after swimming...

Edited by 171796
Typo

Landlocked Surfer

Regmariner  SubC ND going strong after two years almost daily wear. Clasp has always been its weakness. Keeps good time and still going strong.

The oldest Rep I have belonged to my Mothers’ partner. When the old boy died she gave it to me believing it to be a gen Day Date. At the time I knew very little about Rolex and thought it to be real too. Imagine the disappointment of reading all Day Dates are precious metal. This is stainless and gold plated two tone.  Seems that he got it somewhere in the Far East whilst working for Rolls Royce Aero Engines in the late 70’s, so I guess it’s close to 40 years old.

My Mum told me that he used to send it away for servicing every couple of years or so, so she believed it to be real. 

I think  it’s a lo beat Asian movement but it keeps ok time, power reserve is around 40 hours and is actually quite a nice watch. The Jubilee band was crap though, much nicer on a leather strap.