Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Panerai 233 GMT 8 days

greg_r

I was originally looking for a PAM024 when I stumbled across this in Robert's section at RWI. Up until fairly recently, PAM 233 reps have all had faux power reserve meters, which had rather put me off buying one. The first with working power reserve appeared last year, but had the wrong date wheel and was both inferior to and significantly more expensive than this v2 model, which cost me $149.

The watch arrived about 10 days from order and came with a plastic Panerai 'watch protector', which is a nice touch although I doubt I'll ever use it. My wife asked what the watch protector was, and I told her that it was a "Panerai condom." Being something of a smartass, she replied that it had a hole in it. I pointed out that this was probably the reason why my Panerai collection kept growing... :lol:

Up front, however, I should probably mention that there is one thing about this watch that stops it being a 'super rep' - it has a faux GMT function. The hand moves around the dial as it should but is not independently adjustable - therefore becoming basically a '24 hour' hand only. I was anticipating this before purchase (the v1 model had the same limitation) and it doesn't bother me as I have no use for the GMT function anyhow.

Having gotten the bad news out of the way, there's lots of good in compensation: The watch is stunning - in many respects the best/most realistic PAM rep I own. The CG is easily the best I've seen - the lever is nice and stiff, having a roller on the foot, as it should, and compresses the crown tightly - the crown springs out slightly when the lever is released, which is unusual for any but the most expensive reps. The dial is also particularly good with above-average lume and there is a small day/night indicator in the second hand area as per the gen. The power reserve meter is also fully functional - although bear in mind that this watch will only run around 40 hours on a single wind rather than the 8 days of the gen. The date wheel is the correct white print on black background and there is a quick-set pusher on the side of the watch just by the CG.

The crystal has a good profile and light AR, which is less 'funky' in colour than a lot of rep AR.

Looking through the display caseback, an effort has been made to make the Seagull movement fitted to this watch look that bit more convincing - the rotor in particular is very well executed. However, it has to be noted that the gen is a handwind, not automatic and the movement, whilst looking very much like a standard Panerai auto movement, doesn't actually look anything like the movement that should be fitted to this watch. Having said that, to someone who's not a Panerai nut and doesn't know the gen it's far more believable than most of the E-series movements you see around...

The watch is fitted with the correct quick-release strap bars as per the gen and the black leather strap itself is of much better quality than most rep straps, being of the correct design for this particular model and very soft and comfortable. It's fitted with a particularly nice Pre-V tang buckle.

With the exception of the faux GMT feature and the minor quibbles due to the use of a Seagull auto movement rather than a hand-wind, this watch is superior to my 'Ultimate' 111h in almost every respect - quite amazing considering that it cost around half the price - and is possibly the best PAM in my collection (4 so far, but definitely more to come).

Thanks again to Robert for a great watch and his usual excellent service. :D

Apologies for the quality of the pics below - the light is lousy here this morning and I've only got a cheapo compact camera here today...

pam233.jpg

pam233_f.jpg

pam233cg.jpg

pam233-b.jpg

pam233w.jpg

Luthier

Nice watch, nice sandwich dial, how's lume?

greg_r

Lume's well above average for rep lume in terms of brightness. I don't yet know how long it lasts, though, as the watch only arrived this morning just before I left for work.

oscarmadfish

oscar loves this

how much ?

greg_r
oscar loves this

how much ?

Would you believe $149?

oscarmadfish

WOW that is a great deal greg

iabounty

Lume's well above average for rep lume in terms of brightness. I don't yet know how long it lasts, though, as the watch only arrived this morning just before I left for work.

The lume quality and longevity would be a deal maker or a deal breaker on a watch like that for me. I expect a full AND detailed report be posted on that subject in the near future member #2.......... :thumbsup:

greg_r

lol@iabounty

Well, this IS rep lume we're talking about. It's better than most, but there's not much left after an hour. I'd almost be tempted to get this superlumed - it'd be worth it (but then I've been threatening to do the same to my 111h for the last six months. Apathy ftw :thumbsup:

trailboss99

At least it doesn't get any easier to lume than a sandwich dial. Anyone who can remove the dial and MVT can redo that one.

Col.

greg_r
At least it doesn't get any easier to lume than a sandwich dial. Anyone who can remove the dial and MVT can redo that one.

Col.

I'd be tempted to try that - it's the hands I'm not confident about doing myself.

onzenuub

Onzenuub doesn't like

trailboss99

Col.

I'd be tempted to try that - it's the hands I'm not confident about doing myself.

Hand puller: £20

Hand press: £5

Twezers, a lump of rodico, a bamboo skewer and a good magnifier and you're away. It ain't as hard as it looks. Pratice on a clunker first. Watch the video at RWG2 and all becomes clear.

Col.

greg_r

Oh, I'm not worried about removing the hands - I have the required tools and have had a little practice. I'm worried about having a steady enough hand to apply the lume evenly on the hands...

I'm also worried that if I start I know I'll have to do ALL my PAMS and probably my DeepSea too. I have too much of a life to find time to do all that ;)

Luthier
Oh, I'm not worried about removing the hands - I have the required tools and have had a little practice. I'm worried about having a steady enough hand to apply the lume evenly on the hands...

I'm also worried that if I start I know I'll have to do ALL my PAMS and probably my DeepSea too. I have too much of a life to find time to do all that ;)

If Ziggy can do it - you can do it!

cdwristlume.jpg

oscarmadfish

that IWC looks great

greg_r
that IWC looks great

+100

greg_r

I'm also worried that if I start I know I'll have to do ALL my PAMS and probably my DeepSea too. I have too much of a life to find time to do all that :D

cdwristlume.jpg

;) Maybe when I retire ;)

jameo210369

Love the Pam Greg, another beautiful lady to add to your collection.

Luthier love the IWC.

Great pics guys, thanks for sharing

prestigewatchco

Greg luming the hands is simple .

Do everything from the back of the hands get some nail laquer remover to take existing lume off . Then get a coctail stick and get the hands face down with the back upwards I use play dow and stick the coctail stick in.

Then just get the lume and spread it on the back it will support it's self like bubbles when you put the ring in the can you know the ones the kids have when you put ring in it always comes out with a perfect circle of bubbles.

It is really easy to do just get the mix right and you will get a perfect finish every time

greg_r

Thanks for the advice, Robert!

I'll have to give it a try sometime soon :lol:

AllergyDoc

I'm also worried that if I start I know I'll have to do ALL my PAMS and probably my DeepSea too. I have too much of a life to find time to do all that :beer:

cdwristlume.jpg

Luthier, you shaved your arm!

:lol:

greg_r

Just noticed that Robert has the PAM 270 (10-day) in his section at RWI. My only chance of resisting is that there's very little difference between that and the 233 other than cosmetic changes to the dial.

9270.jpg

Still very tempting, though :o

My problem is that my Panerai addiction is now almost complete - I rarely wear anything else these days. The only non-PAM I've worn in the last couple of weeks was the Rollie deep sea I had on yesterday and the Astbury Skeleton (which is almost an honorary PAM being a Unitas 6497 :P ) that I wore when taking my wife out for dinner on Saturday.

Increasingly beginning to think of moving on some of the watches I never wear: Breguet, Tag RS8, Tag SLR (if anyone would want it - the chrono hand is fitted so that it resets to a couple seconds before 12), BR01, the 21j Breitling 'B' - maybe even the VC, which I still love but rarely get around to wearing... I'll think about it some more...

Maybe it's also time for a new avatar. *shrug*

trailboss99
Tag SLR (if anyone would want it - the chrono hand is fitted so that it resets to a couple seconds before 12),

Easy fix.

Col.

greg_r
Tag SLR (if anyone would want it - the chrono hand is fitted so that it resets to a couple seconds before 12),

Easy fix.

Col.

True, but it's only a cheapie quartz thing anyhow. I wear it around the house if I'm doing odd jobs in the hope that I'll smash it to bits. So far I've not managed to even scratch it... :o

AllergyDoc

The quartz second hand can be adjusted by you. I think what you do is unscrew or pull out the crown in the first or second position (I can't remember which). Then press on the top pusher (I think). It will advance the second hand. Tony told me how to do this when I bought a cheapie Montblanc from him.