Sign in to follow this  
Slim

IWC MkXII Disaster

Slim

This is a recent pic of my IWC Mk XII. I dropped it onto my desk, and - as you can see - a chunk of lume broke off the triangle at 12, and is now floating around the dial.

twelve_accident.jpg

My first thought was that I should just have the broken bit removed, and the remaining lume cleaned off the triangle. But it's been suggested to me that since it's still in two pieces, it might be possible to glue it back together, fairly invisibly.

I'm interested to hear other opinions, though. If anyone knows of a repairer with the necessary skill to fix it, I'd also be very interested to hear about that, as well.

Thanks for any advice.

KeNnY

you will still notice the crack when glued back, the best option would be FULL relume with some ULTRA bright lume ! :facepalm:

Del

Bummer Slim :facepalm:

I'm sure it's a relatively easy fix, although I wouldn't know where to start myself...:popcorn:

Slim

:facepalm:

I don't want to relume it. If you notice the lume is actually composed of three-dimensional blocks with very straight sides. The rest of the lume is nearly dead anyway and I'm fine with that.

KBH

I only see two possibilities. Either glue it back or send it somewhere for re-luming. You might as well try gluing it first. Just use a TINY bit of glue, like what you could put on the end of a needle. It would probably look pretty good.

In the meantime you should probably hack your watch so the hands don't screw it up.

graman

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!

I love that watch!

Send it to ska mate! :facepalm:

Tote
This is a recent pic of my IWC Mk XII. I dropped it onto my desk, and - as you can see - a chunk of lume broke off the triangle at 12, and is now floating around the dial.

twelve_accident.jpg

My first thought was that I should just have the broken bit removed, and the remaining lume cleaned off the triangle. But it's been suggested to me that since it's still in two pieces, it might be possible to glue it back together, fairly invisibly.

I'm interested to hear other opinions, though. If anyone knows of a repairer with the necessary skill to fix it, I'd also be very interested to hear about that, as well.

Thanks for any advice.

You have P.M

Slim
I only see two possibilities. Either glue it back or send it somewhere for re-luming. You might as well try gluing it first. Just use a TINY bit of glue, like what you could put on the end of a needle. It would probably look pretty good.

In the meantime you should probably hack your watch so the hands don't screw it up.

Cheers for the reply, KBH.

The hands won't touch it as long as it's face up, fortunately. It's wound down now anyway.

I'm definitely not going to take it apart myself - definitely need to have someone who knows what they're doing sort it out. I suspect the third possibility might be the best bet - just have it taken off. Can this be done cleanly, anyone? What would a repairer use to remove the traces of lume on the triangle that won't take off the paint or leave a mark?

Cheers

vonGluberschmidt

care to share why you don't want to re-lume it?

Member X

He's just weird :D:wub:

Slim
care to share why you don't want to re-lume it?

Sure.

Firstly I don't have a need to tell the time in the dark from this watch.

Secondly, I'd rather keep the existing lume at 3,6 & 9 and on the hands original. They have a hint of creamy aged colour now, and they wouldn't match new lume.

Thirdly I would assume that it would be very difficult (and / or expensive) for someone to relume it to the same standard as the IWC factory - the 12 triangle lume is a very crisp, exact block - perfectly flat on top, and with flat, perfectly straight sides.

Happy to be corrected on any of these points except the first :lol:

valerian

Isn't this a gen? If so, why not go to a IWC AD or service center? They sure can help you. It might not be cheap but the watch is surely worth it.

Regards

Valerian

Slim

Two reasons - firstly because I know they'll charge the Earth for what I hope is a reasonably simple job, and secondly because unfortunately IWC's service has a poor reputation at the moment.

I've very much been put off taking watches to ADs due to a recent experience with a Speedy that had stopped working. Took it to an AD and they said their prices started at £120 to fix it. Sent it to an independent watch repairer for advice, he said it just needed a screw to be relocated and he'd do it for £6. Which he did, and it's been running fine ever since.

valerian
Two reasons - firstly because I know they'll charge the Earth for what I hope is a reasonably simple job, and secondly because unfortunately IWC's service has a poor reputation at the moment.

I've very much been put off taking watches to ADs due to a recent experience with a Speedy that had stopped working. Took it to an AD and they said their prices started at £120 to fix it. Sent it to an independent watch repairer for advice, he said it just needed a screw to be relocated and he'd do it for £6. Which he did, and it's been running fine ever since.

I understand. It seems to depend on where you are. I had my Pilot 3706 sent to the factory in Schaffhausen directly. Been very happy though it was still expensive of course.

Another problem might be that they will try and sell you a new dial which will have different lume color than the hands. Their solution to this problem is simple: Sell you the hands as well. Duh!

Good luck!

Val.

gran
cantona_346783.jpg

Balad1

I hate when shit like that happens to a rep I'm wearing; for me it's such a sinking feeling.

If it's not scratching the crystal it's breaking it or scratching up the case.

Bummer Mate.