Left Coast Guy

The lines are getting blurry

Left Coast Guy

Ran across this article on a gear site that typically features gen watches, speaking to value of the "frankenwatch" and thought it was worth the share. 

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/02/22/what-is-a-frankenwatch/

This feels like article #1 in a three part series of why reps are kosher, right?  He mentions the term "fake" a few times, but he doesn't really take that derogatory tone that you see on a lot of watch sites; Its a little more factual, less judgmental than the typical.   Its like, there's a logical road from gens to reps, and he's starting to lay out the path -- (1) start at used or broken gens and repair with gen parts, (2) start with used/broken gens and repair mov't to gen, but other parts are aftermarket, (3) start with some amount of used/broken gen parts and repair with any parts that fit, including movement, (4) buy reps.

Anyway, I was surprised to see such a measured tone on a site that is typical a marketing home for high-end gens. 

Thommo82

Wasn’t a bad read actually

I bought a few vintage watches off eBay a year ago when I was first starting my watch journey. Seiko, Titus, Citizen. Seems only the Citizen is 100% gen. Seiko has an Alwyn movement and the old Titus only has gen dial from what I can see