Sign in to follow this  
PEPO_TG

Need help repairing a watch winder!

PEPO_TG

Hi guys,

As mentioned the winder is a Modalo automatic watch winder #103011. It winds up to 6 watches and stores 7 more. The problem is that the control panel (motherboard) that makes the little bugger go clockwise, counterclocwise and rests is not giving any voltage. It uses a 3V power adapter.

Here is a picture, hope that helps!

Any ideas will be helpfull. Tried to look it over the i-net, no luck there :)

dsc0003ds.jpg

trailboss99

Step 1/ Look closely for dry joints. This is best done with a can of freeze spray and watch if anything moves. Otherwise just a very close inspection with a loupe of every joint.

Step 2/ throw the board in the freezer overnight and try it again

Step 3/ replace the two big power caps (the most likely component to fail).

Step 4/ remove and test every component beginning with the triacs - next to impossible without SMD soldering skills.

Step 4 / chuck the thing away or use a 555 timer chip and a couple of relays to make a new timer.

PEPO_TG

This sounds way over my skills. Tried all joints, so no dry joints. The main power caps are ok. Rotors spin when directly connected to the power adapter 3V output. That is all I can check/tell about it. Is there somebody here that could do that repair for me? I could send it (together with a couple of beers of course) and pay for the parts/labour and return shipping :wub:

trailboss99

Try the freezer trick mate, it works.

Ska

Alternatively send it my way.

Assuming it's not a chip failure it should be repairable.

My company is situated in the same building as my Father-In-Law's which is an electronics manufacturer. We have industry standard diagnostic and test equipment and some seriously skilled folks who, if it can be fixed, will fix it.

No charge mate. Just PM me if you're interested.