Sign in to follow this  
Stormcrow

Watches without second hands

Stormcrow

I've started looking into 33mm slim (<10mm) watches. They look quite nice. A few pics...

Some of them don't have second hands (even better, don't need to worry about any a smooth sweep)

The 3919 has a seconds subdial, does this usually 'tick' in a swiss quartz movement?

JcNHI.jpg

powderfreak

Quartz movements with continous running seconds hand always "tick". There are only very few with chrono seconds hand that look as if they sweep, I think Robert has some. But I never saw any rep watch with regular seconds hand that sweeps and is quartz powered.

Stormcrow

Thank you powderfreak.

My mistake, the mvt appears to be a Asia Manual Wind - how would the seconds subdial work on this? (a quick search didnt find anything)

shizm

I don't know about this movement, but on 6497 movements it looks fairly smooth since the second hand is so small.. smooth enough that it can look gen-like

powderfreak
Thank you powderfreak.

My mistake, the mvt appears to be a Asia Manual Wind - how would the seconds subdial work on this? (a quick search didnt find anything)

That would indeed make it quite gen-like, as shizm said, the seconds hand will sweep and moreover is quite small.

ivotedale
Thank you powderfreak.

That would indeed make it quite gen-like, as shizm said, the seconds hand will sweep and moreover is quite small.

On a bit of related note, I had this discussion with a friend about watch size and automatic sweeps- most notably the IWC Big Pilot.

I went down to visit a local Tourneau (gen luxury watch/jeweler) and saw the Big Pilot in person, and the seconds hand was running, reserve around 7 days. I always envisioned the sweep to be super smooth, but it seemed sorta choppy and possibly unacceptable for something you'd pay $10,000+ for, compared to a common Rolex movement. Was this because I'm just used to seeing 40mm cases? My 21j 21,600bph Omega Seamaster seemed to be contender against it as far as the sweep was concerned.

Or am I just crazy?