Sign in to follow this  
malloc

Replacing a 21J with a quartz movement

malloc

Hey all,

I have a Rolex rep with a 21J that's running poorly. It'll keep perfect time one week, then lose a few mins the next. It loses up to a min on a bad day.

I bought it for my brother. He loves the watch, but he'd actually prefer if it was quartz so it keeps better time.

I'm wondering what the likelihood of getting a drop in quartz movement would be? Any idea how I'd find a movement that would fit?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to swapping movements. If it's a straight swap though I'm sure I'd figure it out. I have most of the tools bar a hand setter.

KBH

Getting a set of Rolex hands for the movement might be the hard part. Of course the date wheel would need an overlay and the dial feet wouldn't fit on the new movement. And in the end you've have turned what could be a decent rep into a Canal St. $30 rep. Better to just find a cheap quartz rep.

If it's and ETA/clone get it serviced and regulated. If it's a 21j your only simple answer is to swap the movement since they cost less than $20.

But from the sounds of it your brother shouldn't ever have a mechanical watch since none of them will ever keep time like a quartz.

malloc
Getting a set of Rolex hands for the movement might be the hard part. Of course the date wheel would need an overlay and the dial feet wouldn't fit on the new movement. And in the end you've have turned what could be a decent rep into a Canal St. $30 rep. Better to just find a cheap quartz rep.

If it's and ETA/clone get it serviced and regulated. If it's a 21j your only simple answer is to swap the movement since they cost less than $20.

But from the sounds of it your brother shouldn't ever have a mechanical watch since none of them will ever keep time like a quartz.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it'll be more trouble than it's worth. I might just look at picking up a quartz version instead and selling this one.