Sign in to follow this  
jacprash

Gold Plating How much is enough and how do I protect it?

jacprash

A number of reps are plated gold or rosegold.

In the past I have had problems with watches that look gold, turning green or rubbing off.

Admitedly they have not been rep watches. Just cheap ones I buy in the USA.

I've just ordered my first replicas, a Ulysse Nardin two-tone rose gold diver that,

while I don't intend to actually wear it diving, I would like to make my daily watch.

The other is a UL MaxiMarine for dress occasions and will be subject to much less wear.

So...

Is there an acceptable minimum thickness?

Or other thing I should do to insure I don't have a problem with this?

How do I care for these watches?

:rofl:

pfcdre

hi i think most swiss plated models are a minimum of 10 microns deep in gold plate but i dont have a clue what deph of gold plate reps have and may vary from factory to factory and indeed the quality of the gold used plating,sorry not much help maybe one of the trusted dealers could help with that,as for care greasy fingures are bad ,sweat even worse as it attacks like acid,i just wipe mine with a lint free polish cloth now and again cheers and congrats on your purchase

E-Dub

This answer is "your milage may vary".

Even with our "trusted dealers" I don't think that we can really believe micron thickness measurements. They are plated, they will wear. Better to go with gold wrapped if that is available for the watch you want. Best to just get 20-30 different reps and just wear them each once or twice a month. Maybe 50-60?

Betcha can't buy just one.

E-Dub

Frankt8242

A goldplated Rep is a dodgy choice as daily wearer!!

There is simply no way to determine how much actual gold has been added, and at $1400+/Oz, you can be sure it ain't a whole lot!!

Over the year, I have owned, and still own a few gold plated reps, but I almost never wear them except on "dress up" occasions, and that's maybe 3-4 times a year...

IMNSFHO, a nice S/S or Ti rep will be a much better choice as a daily wearer....

KBH

My wife has a ETA based full gold ladies Datejust that she wears quite often. It's going on 3 years old and still looks great.

David543

I think mix and match the wear. Buy wrapped and don't let sweat stick on it. :rofl: May be best to buy gen, but with the watches we like they are £7k or more for two tone, £15k+ for solid so even less affordable! Ss safer but not as interesting!!

:rofl:

jdoe
A goldplated Rep is a dodgy choice as daily wearer!!

There is simply no way to determine how much actual gold has been added, and at $1400+/Oz, you can be sure it ain't a whole lot!!

Make that $1500/Oz

Would not go with gold plated. Either steel, or 18K gold (if you absolutely have to have gold).

greg_r

I have several gold-plated watches and they're all surviving pretty well - but then I don't wear them on a daily basis. Gold wrapped will be more durable than gold plated, but even so, I'd hesitate to wear one as my every-day watch as the finish will eventually start to deteriorate.