VMSG

What is you favorite / best handwind rep?

VMSG

So... I'm looking to expand my collection with an handwind watch (lets leave the why for another thread) and i'm looking for help picking that watch :)

I would love to hear your experience with \ favorite \ "best" handwind watch (also a pic would be nice :)).

giphy.gif

Luxuracer

The Portuguese Tourbillon IW546307 Middle East 

iwc-portugaise-tourbillon-moyen-orient.j

NCRich

Best handwinds have a ST19 movement.  Lots of them, I've got 6 or 7.  Like this:

jgYzSz6.jpg?1

or this

3FcMXL9.jpg?1

tabuktime

Nice Patek.

nuvolablue

Moonwatch... 9996c03761ca645ddb8ae5ff5676d4f6.jpg864f440e4241c8fca43bda0577af401b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NCRich

Yeah, forgot the moonwatch.  Actually forgot I had one.

EBB

This is a gen, but at rep price, unfortunately soldout on their website, but they can be found used, I love domed acrylic crystal 

7c859a06affd518eab67ed2bfaa63698_originaDSCF4464.jpg1960396d1522788236-marloe-lomond-chronosIMG_5622.JPGMarloe-Lomond-Chronoscope-8.jpg

Waspy

I like hand wind watches.

Not reps of course, but have you considered Russian watches?

I bought these two for peanuts from eBay:

j7sp5xY.jpg

Rqxx2AK.jpg

There is a Ukrainian watchmaker on eBay who services them for £14.99 (plus postage) great service.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATCH-REPAIR-Soviet-USSR-Russian-MOLNIJA-CHAIKA-ZARIA-ZIM-SEKONDA-KIROVSKIE/123149333364?hash=item1cac45b374:g:NGAAAOSwheZarYHd

greg_r

Breguet Traditon:

IMG_0891.JPG

This Lange:

langematik140715.JPG

or, of course, a Fiddy:

pam127-noob-010713.jpg

Waspy
4 minutes ago, greg_r said:

Breguet Traditon:

IMG_0891.JPG

Superb.

gwkiw

Patek 5070r

Face_large_5070.jpg

Or a PAM676....

Effect2_676.jpg

Daywatch

IWC Portuguese F.A. Jones, normally sold out, specially the version with the nicely decorated movement.  The 6497 is a charm to wind and as robust and reliable as they come.

7IapEq5.jpg

hbAZzus.jpg

PlanetZoom

Patek 5196.

The gen is manual.  The rep is automatic.  But remove the rotor and....boom, you have a manual wind.

VkBwZ4G.jpg

BadApple

PAM 563 with decorated 6497 

%26q=wrist%26page=2%26sortby=newest&titl

IMG_0144.jpg

Waspy
2 hours ago, PlanetZoom said:

Patek 5196.

The gen is manual.  The rep is automatic.  But remove the rotor and....boom, you have a manual wind.

VkBwZ4G.jpg

That is a lovely watch, but the problem with converting from auto to hand wind is you still have the thick case. One of the reasons I like hand wind it is the slim profile case (but I still have autos of course :))

Waspy
2 hours ago, Daywatch said:

IWC Portuguese F.A. Jones, normally sold out, specially the version with the nicely decorated movement.  The 6497 is a charm to wind and as robust and reliable as they come.

7IapEq5.jpg

That is beautiful, I love the UNITAS clone but it is a big movement making for a big watch. I guess I'll need to try one some day.

_DC_

Ok, let’s look at this rationally. If you’re buying a hand wind watch it’s for one reason and one reason alone... you want to enjoy the interaction with your timepiece!

So that being the case, it’s important to chose a movement with a nice winding feel to it. So an auto with the rotor removed is not going to do it. And a lot of the tourbillon reps aren’t much nicer to wind so they’re all out too (IMO). You want some resistance and a good click to really give you that feeling of satisfaction, and the winner by far in my experience here is the ST19 (as mentioned above by @NCRich).

There’s many reps with ST19 movements, but of the ones I’ve owned I’d say there are two stand outs. Vintage Daytonas are just fantastic if you like something smaller (37mm), or if you prefer something a little larger then I highly recommend the ALS Datograph (42mm). I own three Vintonas, and wish I still owned a Datograph (sold three of them over the years because they’re a little too big for me but they are so nice just to look at, wind, start chrono, stop chrono, reset chrono, wind a little more... ah how I miss them)!!

So that’s my two cents (or two suggestions) but look for ST19 (usually called Venus on TD sites) and you can’t go too far wrong!

And as for pics...

6_D06_B9_C9-174_A-4_EA6-9_FCB-_DAC5_B642

D07_B9490-6087-4_C88-_B411-4_A8_E426_F79

11706_C36-_F9_DC-4_E6_F-9_E02-6_A8_BABC2

9_E742937-311_F-4304-_AE28-7841999_BB44_

F5_FA55_FF-268_F-413_D-867_B-_D68_D13_D2

93_DE955_B-7_E6_C-4_BFD-_A854-_EAEBACF9_

DC

Waspy
11 minutes ago, _DC_ said:

Vintage Daytonas are just fantastic if you like something smaller (37mm),

look for ST19 (usually called Venus on TD sites)

So every day I learn a little more.

Thank you.

deju
13 hours ago, nuvolablue said:

Moonwatch... 9996c03761ca645ddb8ae5ff5676d4f6.jpg864f440e4241c8fca43bda0577af401b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes my favourite handwind rep is a gen moonie too :rofl: 

zulu44gmt

458a996c3b461f2f745decce93586742.jpg

Serviced, these wind as smooth as gen

The ST19 is great too- And the column wheel chrono

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VMSG

First of all - thanks everyone! this is why I love RWG, so many knowledgeable members!

I haven't decided yet, so you are welcome to throw more suggestions.

The current leaders:

1) IWC Portuguese Tourbillon - I have several tourbillons, but i love movement complexity and as far as i know, in the rep world tourbillon is the most complex one. but still... i have several tourbillons and IWC Portuguese chrono, so.... not sure

2) Moonwatch - really nice watch! but 14mm thick! that is huge for me. not sure it will look nice on me

3) ALS Datograph - the best looking watch on this thread (for my taste) but also - 14.5mm thick!

There are no thin handwind good rep watches? :)

BTW,

regarding other suggestions: I don't like rolex and pam, yes i know blasphemy. but I feel rolex it too reped and never got the pam enthusiasm... the breguet is on my list and i'll buy it with this watch... and other suggestion just not my taste

Waspy
2 hours ago, VMSG said:

There are no thin handwind good rep watches? 

Any good? Hand wind. 8mm thick. $62 on Silix.

6Rks3NF.jpg

ru5QPwr.jpg

_DC_
3 hours ago, VMSG said:

3) ALS Datograph - the best looking watch on this thread (for my taste) but also - 14.5mm thick!

It sounds thick but because of the case size it doesn’t look thick, and the rounded bezel means it slips under a dress cuff so it’s not obnoxious!!

I don’t like thick watches, but I loved the Datograph. It was only ever the case diameter that was an issue for me as it did slightly hang off the edges on my punt wrist. But I still wish I had one (preferably black dial which, FYI, isn’t available currently so I’m told)!

DC

aitcharGMT
3 hours ago, Waspy said:

Any good? Hand wind. 8mm thick. $62 on Silix.

6Rks3NF.jpg

ru5QPwr.jpg

Oooohhh what a beauty and what a price!

PlanetZoom
12 hours ago, Waspy said:

So every day I learn a little more.

Thank you.

The learning never ends. 

It's a fun part of the hobby.