Sign in to follow this  
holeinoneproperties

Rolex Daytona

holeinoneproperties

Hey Guys,

Anyone have a good source for a good SS black or white face Daytona. Ordered a great Sub from Timeshop, but I did not see any offers for our forum for a Daytona so I was hesitant to order one from them. Any ideas? love to see pics if anyone has them.

Thanks,

Luthier

Tona is quite problematic watch. All because A7750 mov't was modified for seconds @6.

Some DOA, some live for a few days, but some are OK for a long time, but it's small amount, that's good. If you can find Tona with seconds @9, or do graphite treatment on seconds @6 watch - then good chance your Tona will live for a long time.

Matlow

Replicamake has some Daytonas in his project X section under Rolex on his website, check them out and see what u think.

Luthier

Everyone has Tonas, it doesn't make them good watches.

rober100

There are some brand new Daytonas with venus 75 handwind movement. Only vintage Lemania copies with plexy glass. Other models still are coming with the 7750 seconds at 6 useless thing. :)

I don't catch why manufacturers don't trash this movement once for good. :Whistle:

KBH

The Daytona was one of the top 3 watches I originally wanted when I started looking at reps. But after doing some research I decided to wait for an improved movement which so far hasn't arrived. So instead I went with a vintage Daytona since the old ones had the seconds at 9, which is a common, and more reliabale lay out for chrono movements.

Or you can get a cheap 21j movement or a quartz, which are not at all correct, but at least reliable.

opus9

Timeshop has a lovely Daytona pvd if your interested.

David543

Like KBH I have been waiting for a Daytona rep for the past 5yrs.... No sign of any that fix the basic design problem, so still waiting. Can't see me getting one any time soon. I have yet to see anyone who doesn't think the 7750 movement will fail in time.... ::p:

rober100
Like KBH I have been waiting for a Daytona rep for the past 5yrs....

Yes, the seconds at 6 fail has been around for ages now. A workaround could be having the 7750 movement replaced for a Venus 75 but I don't know if it can be done. Is there anybody on the know?

Edited by rober100

holeinoneproperties

thanks guys for all the responses. I will do some research, but it sounds like the Daytona is a tricky one.

gB.

Robert at PrestigeWatchCo sells an awesome seconds @9 model (pre-2000 gen). Here's his sales thread for this, although it's about a year old and the special offer price is no longer available, current price at $199 I believe. Good luck.

Robert's seconds @9 Daytona

rober100
Robert at PrestigeWatchCo sells an awesome seconds @9 model (pre-2000 gen). Here's his sales thread for this, although it's about a year old and the special offer price is no longer available, current price at $199 I believe. Good luck.

Besides the seconds subdial, did these seconds @ 9 Daytonas have anything wrong?

David543

The movement in these should be a 7750, this is designed to have the small seconds at 9 so works fine. I have one in my Hublot Big Bang, seconds at 9 and it's worked flawlessly for nearly 5yrs now.

Pre 2000 Rolex used the Zenith el-primo movement, modified. This is also a 'seconds at 9' watch and ther eason to look at pre2000 versions, before Rlex started using their own caliber. The el-primo movement runs natively at 36,000 vph, equaled by the Grand Seiko high beat but few (no) other watches.

rober100
The movement in these should be a 7750, this is designed to have the small seconds at 9 so works fine. I have one in my Hublot Big Bang, seconds at 9 and it's worked flawlessly for nearly 5yrs now.

Pre 2000 Rolex used the Zenith el-primo movement, modified. This is also a 'seconds at 9' watch and ther eason to look at pre2000 versions, before Rlex started using their own caliber. The el-primo movement runs natively at 36,000 vph, equaled by the Grand Seiko high beat but few (no) other watches.

Thanks David :wave:

I heard these pre 2000 Daytonas had 3 wheels added to the 7750 movement and some cosmetic flaws against the current versions, but I may be wrong.

David543

Could be that it needs a bit to get the seconds at 9 to where they need to be, movement relative to dial, but I think that is easier for the gear train to take than adding 11 gears to get to seconds at 6 which is too much and poorly engineered.

There are some discussions and tear downs of the seconds at 6 somewhere on the site if you do a search, they are really interesting! :wave:

rober100

Ok, yes I already have read some articles on the @6 movement and I'm not for buying a paperweight :)