Sign in to follow this  
kolchak

My favorite Invicta

kolchak

Yes, Invicta's have a lowly reputation but this heavy Grand Lupah diver auto is a quality piece.

This huge 51/55mm watch it wears comfortably on a 7 inch wrist, has good lume, nice exhibition case back and the bracelet feels good. Been diving/swimming many times with no leaks or condensation.

I got it as a gift but believe it cost ~ $450.

Some pics & specs from Amazon sare below for anyone interested...

IMAG0533.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

IMAG0560.jpg

IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0534.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

IMAG0558.jpg

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0550.jpg

IMAG0555.jpg

IMAG0554.jpg

Amazon.com Product Description

This king-sized version of Invicta's popular Lupah dive watch makes a bold statement on any man's wrist. Extra large applied silvertone Arabic numerals and luminous silvertone hands stand out easily against the black dial, along with a sweep seconds hand, Invicta logo, and date display. The dial is housed in an impressive 55 mm stainless steel case and capped with a resilient mineral crystal. A unidirectional rotating steel bezel, in black with yellow highlighting and Arabic minute indicators, allows safe timing of dives and other limited events. Swiss automatic movement drives this watch, which means you'll never have to worry about changing a battery. The movement is visible through the see-through exhibition case back. A stainless steel bracelet band and a distinctive globular steel crown complete the rugged yet refined look. Rated water resistant to a full 300 meters, this handsome piece of hardware is well-suited for diving and other water-based adventures.

Lupah Collection

Automatic Watches

Automatic watches do not operate on batteries. Automatic watches are made up of about 130 or more parts that work together to tell time. Automatic movements mark the passage of time by a series of gear mechanisms, and are wound by the movement of your wrist as you wear it. The gear train then transmits the power to the escapement, which distributes the impulses, turning the balance wheel. The balance wheel is the time regulating organ of a mechanical watch, which vibrates on a spiral hairspring. Lengthening or shortening the balance spring makes the balance wheel go faster or slower to advance or retard the watch. The travel of the balance wheel from one extreme to the other and back again is called oscillation. Lastly, automatic movements come in different types, including movements that are Swiss-made, Japanese-made, and more.

Also referred to as self-winding, watches with automatic movements utilize kinetic energy, the swinging of your arm, to provide energy to an oscillating rotor to keep the watch ticking. They're considered more satisfying to watch collectors (horologists) because of the engineering artistry that goes into the hundreds of parts that make up the movement. If you do not wear an automatic watch consistently (for about 8 to 12 hours a day), you can keep the watch powered with a watch winder (a great gift for collectors).

Invicta's Lupah continues to brazenly hit the streets defying the myth of urban trends. Always offering the original signature stylings for which the patented Lupah is known, Invicta has also diversified the line to encompass a varied range of choices and models. While Swiss movements keep this watch in motion, the collection is further accented by a wide selection of colorful straps and dial treatments. It's distinctive look and smarts will keep Lupah in tune with any mood of any moment in any time.

[ ^Top ]

powderfreak

That's huuuuuuge, how heavy is it?

kolchak
That's huuuuuuge, how heavy is it?

265 grams, which is ~ 50 grams heavier then the dssd. I'm always aware this thing is on my wrist.

Balad1

Invicta watches are what peaked my interest in watches a few years ago. I own 4 in the $250-$350 range and their performance has been disappointing, 2 of the 4 have mechanical issues.

But they do look good and are waterproof....they just don't work properly, lol.

kolchak

I helped my friend dispose of her deceased fathers watch collectrion and he had ~ 100 invictas. Most were quartz and felt cheap but the autos functioned well. Ended up taking them to an "i sold it on ebay" store and they sold quicker then a bum on a bologna sandwich.

ZellerFTW

Invicta has a reputation that has deteriorated rapidly over the last five years.

They used to produce a reasonable watch. You wouldn't have to look hard to find something that was built well. But man, after they discovered that they could trick people... things really changed. Their *two* recent Dubois-Depraz scandal, the fake Seiko NH78 movements, the fake sandstone, the Plasticase lawsuit, and litany of other things have reduced the name to shit.

Invicta is a "TV brand" at this point and is not to be trusted at all.

kolchak and his friend's father's collection is a perfect example of what Invicta does. They get people hooked, via their ShopNBC program, using pitches that convince people that owning an Invicta is to be smarter than those who own the real deal. They convince people that because the Invicta "Scuba" looks 100% identical to an Oris, it must be as good as the Oris. They create addicts.

The last two good Invicta watches were the the Admiral and the Sapphire Ghost. Both died in 2006 when Eyal decided scamming increased margins.

kolchak

Invicta & shop NBC were definitely his crack. He had many models in 4 or 5 colors because he was also a "hoarder."

ZellerFTW
Invicta & shop NBC were definitely his crack. He had many models in 4 or 5 colors because he was also a "hoarder."

Yup.

Once you go down that road, there's only two ways out... Silent embarrassment or dumping the hoard on eBay.

I watch the Invicta fan page on Facebook and let me tell you, these people are crazy! There's one old timer who posts pictures of everything he buys. He posts photos of his UPS packages from ShopNBC undergoing each phase of unpacking. Then he posts his money shots of each new watch. Literally, there's six to eight new watches a week that this guy buys. And he's not the only one!

Edited by ZellerFTW

kolchak

Yup.

Once you go down that road, there's only two ways out... Silent embarrassment or dumping the hoard on eBay.

I watch the Invicta fan page on Facebook and let me tell you, these people are crazy! There's one old timer who posts pictures of everything he buys. He posts photos of his UPS packages from ShopNBC undergoing each phase of unpacking. Then he posts his money shots of each new watch. Literally, there's six to eight new watches a week that this guy buys. And he's not the only one!

If that guy started buying reps he'd fit right in here. He'd also have a much better collection.